What did you ride as a kid?

This bike made it. I got it at Kim's bike shop when it was a few spots from the train station and blimpies. @pooriggy might have been at Rutgers at the time

image.jpg

The two bikes at my dads house were gone when he passed... They were a Pro Thunder and StingRay (I have a pic of this bike).

that bike is so A-Team and Knight Rider-esque, what year was that?

I was 7 or 8... so '87-'88.

I ended up breaking the hubcaps, the front "grill," and other accessories fairly fast. I think I am going to try to find an old one and restore it!

Back when I was in Korea my parents bought me and my sister some banana seat bikes. We learned to ride on those bikes.

When I got to the states, either my dad or uncle took me to Toys R Us and bought me a Huffy Pro Thunder. It might have been happiest day of my life other than that time my mom let me quit piano.

huffy_012_lg.jpg

I rode this bike for many years everywhere. At some point my dad bought me a Panasonic Sport 500 which was way too big for me, but I rode that everywhere too but not as much as my BMX.

ross-1987-panasonic-sport-500-02.jpg

Once I got to middle school, my friend gave me a CW race frame/fork and I transferred all my parts to that.

Once I got to Junior high, my other friend gave me a Redline race frame/fork and I transferred all my parts of more upgrades. I was ok with balance type of tricks.

dh2JwDn.jpg

In senior high I had a Dyno Compe and a Haro Master.

I never got into mountain biking when it first started taking over the BMX freestyle scene. By then I was in college and getting into raves and DJ.

OK got some pictures today from my Mom.

Me on that Kia Banana seat bike..circa 1977-78 or so. No the twist-grip motorcycle sound device.
2015_09_04_12_28_22.jpg

Forgot about this one. 1980-81 or so 2nd generic banana seat bike converted to BMX-style handlebars & seat

2015_09_04_12_29_54.jpg

Also forgot the red Vista GTX88 BMX bike seen in the backround here, with my brand new 1984 GT Pro Performer. Note also the black Ross Mt Hood in there also, so I was wrong on the year on that...probably 1983 or so on that one.

2015_09_04_12_30_28.jpg

1986 Hutch Trick Star

2015_09_04_12_33_06.jpg

First bike was a huffy....then a hand me down diamond hack silver streak. I used to wheel n deal a lot. I had a torker, some chromeoly hutch, a chrome redline, haro group 1 rs1, a skyway, i had 2 supergooses...an old chrome one and the aluminum one with yellow z rims and red spokes...purple schwinn predator, dyno detour, hoffman sugardaddy...i still have a girvin bmx fron suspension fork if anyone is interested....the elastomers melted ovr the years in my attic but it's brand new.

I only had a few bikes as a kid and a couple were stolen:

#1: generic pre-BMX 20" that I broke while jumping.
#2: generic BMX 20" (not a Huffy, but similar). Was stolen from outside our apartment when I was 6 or 7.
#3: Murray 20" BMX. Bought to replace #2 in GA and made the move with us to PA in 1980. It eventually went from PA back to GA to be my bike when I visited my grandparents over the Summers. Remained there when they moved to NJ.
#4: Schwinn Predator BMX 20". Christmas present in 1982. I continuously upgraded and modified this bike over the years. I still have it.
#5: Panasonic 10 speed. Birthday, 1984. Got a rear rack and panniers and did bike tours with it in the summer of '84 and '85. Was stolen from my high school in '86.
Didn't get another bike until adulthood.

ok... I'll play.

Very first bike: Fonzie motorcycle (and, yes, that's a Raggedy Ann doll that my mom made... and that's my uncle who also gave me my first two-wheeler bike, too.)
Scan 2.jpg

not mine but a better picture of what it actually looks like:
dcbigflea_fonzbike.jpg

Back
Top Bottom