What did you ride as a kid?

I remember those -- wasn't that the bike that Elliot had in E.T.? I knew a few guys who had that -- I remember that little "foot stand" above the rear wheel. You know I find really strange now when I see these bikes? Those plastic pedals. How were there not more tragic injuries from those breaking while riding them? My bike had steel pedals and I damn near snapped them off a dozen times.
Who knows about the pedals. Probably helped that i was 70lbs when I had it.

That being said, I have not ridden a metal flat pedal is 5 year. dem new plastics are amazing.

First bike was one of these, then a Varsity that was stolen, then a Grand Prix till the drivers license.
apollo.jpg
schwinn_varsity_light_green.jpg
raleigh.jpg

I always loved those three speeds. I had a friend who had one and I used to always bug him to swap bikes with me when I was like 8 years old or so. I really wanted one, but I was stuck with my borther's hand me down Scwhinn that I semi-converted into a "bmx bike" by stripping off the fenders and putting cross-bar handlebars on it.

A Schwinn Black Phantom with balloon tires in the mid 1950's, a real beauty, that within 2 months I stripped down, which really pissed off my family.

We'll start with my first new bike (not my sister's hand-me-down schwinn ;) )
Matsuri BMX bike- no pics on the internets, but solid chromo design- square chain and seat stays. Thing was an indestructible tank.
Then came a used GT Pro (broke the frame in a tangle on the first table top of my first race).
Then came a Thruster Tri-Power, which was short lived, because I was more into flatland than racing.
Enter the Hutch Trickstar.
Man that was great.
And let's talk wheels: anything on earth better than some Z-rims?
I went to Tuff-II's with the Trickstar, but loved me some Z-rims after destroying countless steel rims.

After that came various road and mt bikes. We'll cover that in the what did you ride as a young adult thread.

The only bike I really remember from my childhood was my Dyno Detour. Got it for Xmas in 8th grade. I had options for other bikes like a GT or a Haro but the Detour was all black with black mag wheels and to my 12 year old mind it was the baddest of the bad.

My first real bike was some department store bmx bike. I remember I cracked the frame and my dad had the guy at the service station weld it for me. After I killed that bike I got a sweet blue Team Murry with yellow mags. Rode that thing until it disintegrated, then got a real bike, a Diamond Back Viper from Hays Bike shop. Had that for only a short while until some scumbag older kid literally punched me in the face and rode away on it. Went back to Hays Bike Shop and replaced the Viper with a Super Viper. Had that bike in my possession until college when I gave it to a friend who was moving to Colorado. Somewhere between the Super Viper and college I had a red, white and blue Schwinn Prelude. If anyone has one of these Schwinns lying around, lemme know. I may take it off your hand.

This is the first bike I really remember. I think Santa brought it...I broke my leg riding this bike.

mpvu6xsI8f71Fu_FGlxJ4Bw.jpg

My last bike before graduating to a 4-wheeler was a pink and grey Huffy 10-speed bought at Jamesway.

1987-huffy-capri10_100.JPG

My first ride was a huffy then it cracked, dad welded it and it lasted another week and cracked again. Then he came home with a used mongoose California and I road and raced that thing for probably about 5 years before I got an aluminum pk ripper, from there I went to mtb. Man the good old days.

hmm.. im gonna consider the day i turned 18 as my "adult years" so lets see...

i learned how to ride a bike late (4th grade) and i only remember them based on what grade i was in.

4th-5th
cheapo magna mountain bike that was way to big for me that i cruised the streets with my cousins. addiction the cycling starts.

6th-7th
super heavy full squish duel crown pacific bike. I remember seeing a old canondale mag with a full-sus bike and i knew i wanted something like it. it got stolen out of my families shed with my old magna bikes.
(not mine, but just like this!)
11457.jpg

7th-8th
GT performer bmx bike. i thought this thing was so freaking rad. it had this curved top tube and the front fork had a separate add on part just for pegs. I worked with my dad for a few weeks to save up and this was my first multi hundred dollar purchase in my life.
(not my actual bike but this same frame and color)
dscf9712_blowup.jpg

9-12 High school
i primarily rode around with friends on BMX bikes. i had a old matt hoffman bike that i got for free then i rode around a built up kink transition that i hand polished
kink.jpg

then a little after that i started to experience really bad wrist pain. prob from jumping to many stair sets and not landing much of them. i wanted to stay in the freestyle scene so i got my first 26inch DJ bike. black market riot

riot.jpg

this was actually the first bike that i took to sixmile. sold this bike a bought a old ironhorse and have owned a few other mountain bikes since then till my current ride. been on dirt since.

For some reason I can rattle off every car I've ever had, but not bikes. Below is the bike I really remember from my childhood. The one that showed up under the Christmas tree. The one that opened up my world. I'm guessing I was 10 - and it represented freedom. And in some ways it screamed Evil Knievel. It went on and off road. Basically, it took me as far as I could take it. It got modified with a long sissy bar and a flag. It even spent a few moments with Phillies baseball cards on the spokes (yes, Met fan). I need to stop, I'm getting choked up. A real POS by today's standard, but I loved that bike.

Don't remember my first bike but I do remember my favorite as a kid. I present to you The Huffy Vortex!
88vortex_02.jpg

Not my image... but I LOVED those sweet hubcaps when I was 8!

that bike is so A-Team and Knight Rider-esque, what year was that?

Back
Top Bottom