Man killed on Bike by hit-and-run driver

rwix15

HOWELL — Charles McHugh of Spring Lake died after being struck by a hit-and-run driver on Herbertsville Road Wednesday, police said.

McHugh, 58, was riding his bike south on Herbertsville Road around 3:30 p.m. when an unknown vehicle struck him from behind, according to a police news release.

The driver of the vehicle did not stop or return to the scene, according to the report. Witnesses described the vehicle as a black car with possible silver trim accents. The car may have damage to the front right headlight, hood and bumper, police said.

McHugh was thrown from the bicycle. He was later pronounced dead at the scene.

The accident is currently under investigation by Howell police.

Anyone with information should contact Howell police at 732-938-4111, ext. 2831.

This was just yesterday???? OMG! I wonder where on Herbertsville....this is just so so horrible.

Very sad. Stories like this make me not want to cross the street in a cross walk.

This. Yes it is horrible but people get killed in NJ driving to work every day. I'm not going to stop driving to work because of it and I'm not going to stop road cycling either. Try to always wear hi vis clothes and always have my blinky light on

So so sad. Still, 8 months after my accident I have a hard time being on the road. Every ride there seems to be at least one little incident that brings it back. At 58, if the guy was a cyclist I'm sure he had lots of experience on the road. Unfortunately experience doesn't count sometimes.

Terrible news and especially scary when this stuff happens on roads I regularly ride on. I've been thinking about this a lot lately and just yesterday I decided how the combination of narrow shoulders, debris, pot holes, maybe drivers that are more anxious after being couped up for months, and perhaps we as cyclists are a little rusty after the long winter have made for the exceptionally dangerous conditions out there.

Let's all be a little more cautious and next time a driver honks, yells, or curses, let's try not to escalate the situation. It'll just make them less polite to the next rider.

That is horrible...Now that I am riding after work out of Lincroft, during the week I just go to thompson park on the cross bike and use the sidewalks to get there. So much traffic at that time.

http://www.nj.com/monmouth/index.ss..._deadly_hit_and_run.html#incart_river_default

Howell man, 83, charged in deadly hit and run

FREEHOLD – An 83-year-old Howell Township man turned himself into police on Monday after he allegedly struck and killed a bicyclist more than two weeks ago, authorities said.

Abraham Chapnick, 83, was charged with second-degree knowingly leaving the scene of a motor vehicle accident resulting in death and several motor vehicle summonses stemming from a March 12 fatal hit and run, Acting Monmouth County Prosecutor Christopher Gramiccioni announced Monday.

Spring Lake resident Charles McHugh, 58, was riding his bicycle on Herbertsville Road in Howell when a 1995 black Lexus sedan struck him from behind, Gramiccioni said.

After the crash, police said the driver of the vehicle did not stop and that pieces of a headlight assembly fell off the car and were left at the scene.

An investigation determined the vehicle belonged to Chapnick and that he had been driving it during the crash, Gramiccioni said. The car was seized from Chapnick’s residence and he turned himself into police on Monday, he said.

Chapnick posted $150,000 bail with no 10 percent option, authorities said. If convicted, the second-degree charge carries a five to 10 year prison sentence.

Authorities are asking anyone with information on the crash to contact Monmouth County Prosecutor’s Office Detective Eric Kerecman at 1-800-533-7443 or Howell police Patrolman Matthew Cherney at 732-938-4111.

This is really sad. Being killed while cycling is tragic, letting people drive who don't have the sensory skills needed to operate a motor vehicle is wrong. We all take a gamble when we cycle on roads with people who should not be driving.
They say driving is a privledge not a right. I believe more periodic testing should be required to keep that privledge, not just paying vehicle registration to the state every year. I see drivers all the time with extremely poor sensory perception when it comes to driving. If your senses are dulled, whether its from alcohol, age, poor skills or mental disability you should not be behind a wheel.

Agree

Fully agree iggy, I live in toms river, I have silver hair retirement villages all around me, any-day of the week some old person (sorry let me be political correct) some senior citizen is either driving through a building, running red lights a causing accidents, or doing 35 on route 37 when its posted 50..makes me nuts...

Yes should be more testing for the elderly to be sure they are capable of driving but they aren't the only hazard. Just yesterday I was riding to a 4 way stop intersection and a young woman in a yellow VW bug blew right through like she never saw the sign. If I was only a few more seconds ahead and she didn't see me I'd probably be in the hospital right now

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions