Would you buy a $6000 bike at Walmart?

I wouldn't say it's a steal, but would buy frame if it was cheap.

damn the photos actually look good

granted im sure the cost is mostly tied up in the components

I saw this yesterday and was also wondering who their target market would be. I see them as a low cost box store selling to your average consumer. Would an average consumer head over to Walmart and spend $3K or $6K on a carbon bike? Who is putting these things together and who will be doing the service?

I saw this yesterday and was also wondering who their target market would be. I see them as a low cost box store selling to your average consumer. Would an average consumer head over to Walmart and spend $3K or $6K on a carbon bike? Who is putting these things together and who will be doing the service?
If I had to guess, this would be Online only and not something they'll have sitting on their shitty wire racks assembled by the Walmart greeter.

I wouldn't say it's a steal, but would buy frame if it was cheap.
You might be SOL... not that you would lose any sleep over it...
Capture.JPG

Thought their target should be the $1k range to get people into better "beginner" bikes.

I am by no means a social justice warrior but I don't shop at Wal-Mart just based on principle. That said, I find the whole Wal-Mart connection to mountain biking interesting. Rumor has it that the grandkids of one of the Waltons got into mountain biking. So what happened? "Wal-Mart" built the trails in Bentonville, AR. Apparently they also pay to maintain them. The same thing is now happening in Austin, TX, I believe. Similar backstory. A relative of a Walton is into MTB so a bunch of trails are being funded and built. So on one hand I think Wal-Mart is evil but on the other it is now catering to one of my interests.

I wouldn't buy a high end bike from them. You aren't going to go to Wally World for a tune up or service or any maintenance. There are already several options for high end consumer direct bikes. Or just spend the $6k at a LBS.

I think others are right in that they should be in the $1k range for a bike that can actually handle trail riding.

The top of the line M.1 XX1 comes with a RockShox SID RLC 120mm fork, a SRAM XX1 gold Eagle drivetrain, SRAM Level Ultimate brakes, an FSA K-Force carbon 740mm x 31.8mm handlebar, and Stan's No Tube Crest CB7 Carbon Pro 29 Wheels. It sells for $6,000 USD.

The sum of those parts plus a what I am assuming is a china carbon frame doesnt equal $6000 in my eyes anyway. Doesnt seem like a walmart kind of a "deal".

I am by no means a social justice warrior but I don't shop at Wal-Mart just based on principle. That said, I find the whole Wal-Mart connection to mountain biking interesting. Rumor has it that the grandkids of one of the Waltons got into mountain biking. So what happened? "Wal-Mart" built the trails in Bentonville, AR. Apparently they also pay to maintain them. The same thing is now happening in Austin, TX, I believe. Similar backstory. A relative of a Walton is into MTB so a bunch of trails are being funded and built. So on one hand I think Wal-Mart is evil but on the other it is now catering to one of my interests.

I wouldn't buy a high end bike from them. You aren't going to go to Wally World for a tune up or service or any maintenance. There are already several options for high end consumer direct bikes. Or just spend the $6k at a LBS.

I think others are right in that they should be in the $1k range for a bike that can actually handle trail riding.
i was thinking this same thing about the Walton Family / MTB connection...here's an article from Outside Mag with some of that Bentonville backstory...

https://www.outsideonline.com/2295486/single-track-minds

Back
Top Bottom