Would you buy a $6000 bike at Walmart?

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I wouldn't say it's a steal, but would buy frame if it was cheap.

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
damn the photos actually look good

granted im sure the cost is mostly tied up in the components

Mr.Moto

I saw this yesterday and was also wondering who their target market would be. I see them as a low cost box store selling to your average consumer. Would an average consumer head over to Walmart and spend $3K or $6K on a carbon bike? Who is putting these things together and who will be doing the service?

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I saw this yesterday and was also wondering who their target market would be. I see them as a low cost box store selling to your average consumer. Would an average consumer head over to Walmart and spend $3K or $6K on a carbon bike? Who is putting these things together and who will be doing the service?
If I had to guess, this would be Online only and not something they'll have sitting on their shitty wire racks assembled by the Walmart greeter.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
I wouldn't say it's a steal, but would buy frame if it was cheap.
You might be SOL... not that you would lose any sleep over it...
Capture.JPG

Mathers

Thought their target should be the $1k range to get people into better "beginner" bikes.

Tim

aka sptimmy43
I am by no means a social justice warrior but I don't shop at Wal-Mart just based on principle. That said, I find the whole Wal-Mart connection to mountain biking interesting. Rumor has it that the grandkids of one of the Waltons got into mountain biking. So what happened? "Wal-Mart" built the trails in Bentonville, AR. Apparently they also pay to maintain them. The same thing is now happening in Austin, TX, I believe. Similar backstory. A relative of a Walton is into MTB so a bunch of trails are being funded and built. So on one hand I think Wal-Mart is evil but on the other it is now catering to one of my interests.

I wouldn't buy a high end bike from them. You aren't going to go to Wally World for a tune up or service or any maintenance. There are already several options for high end consumer direct bikes. Or just spend the $6k at a LBS.

I think others are right in that they should be in the $1k range for a bike that can actually handle trail riding.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
The top of the line M.1 XX1 comes with a RockShox SID RLC 120mm fork, a SRAM XX1 gold Eagle drivetrain, SRAM Level Ultimate brakes, an FSA K-Force carbon 740mm x 31.8mm handlebar, and Stan's No Tube Crest CB7 Carbon Pro 29 Wheels. It sells for $6,000 USD.

The sum of those parts plus a what I am assuming is a china carbon frame doesnt equal $6000 in my eyes anyway. Doesnt seem like a walmart kind of a "deal".

pygmypony

I am by no means a social justice warrior but I don't shop at Wal-Mart just based on principle. That said, I find the whole Wal-Mart connection to mountain biking interesting. Rumor has it that the grandkids of one of the Waltons got into mountain biking. So what happened? "Wal-Mart" built the trails in Bentonville, AR. Apparently they also pay to maintain them. The same thing is now happening in Austin, TX, I believe. Similar backstory. A relative of a Walton is into MTB so a bunch of trails are being funded and built. So on one hand I think Wal-Mart is evil but on the other it is now catering to one of my interests.

I wouldn't buy a high end bike from them. You aren't going to go to Wally World for a tune up or service or any maintenance. There are already several options for high end consumer direct bikes. Or just spend the $6k at a LBS.

I think others are right in that they should be in the $1k range for a bike that can actually handle trail riding.
i was thinking this same thing about the Walton Family / MTB connection...here's an article from Outside Mag with some of that Bentonville backstory...

https://www.outsideonline.com/2295486/single-track-minds

Top Bottom