James Pearl Thinks Blogging is Dead

I wouldn't let it bother you. Cross is almost as stupid as running. Almost.

1539478201268.png

Today sucked for lots of people. Myself included. I always thought I was a decent mud rider too. I don't know wtf happened. Keep going cause it can't be worse than today. And if you have a good day, it'll all be worth it.

That doesn't look like Morgan Freeman.

he would never use the word probable

---

Today sucked for lots of people. Myself included. I always thought I was a decent mud rider too. I don't know wtf happened. Keep going cause it can't be worse than today. And if you have a good day, it'll all be worth it.

i need an @pooriggy update! If i could have made it last minute, was def going SS mtb.

saw broken cranks, ripped off derailleurs, broken spokes, spun off pedals (you know if the spindle locks, the pedals come off)
@Norm, did you spot what is wrong with that last parenthetical phrase?

Good to see everyone today - Looking sharp in the new teamwear.

---

Anyone notice @Norm looks younger?

he would never use the word probable

---

i need an @pooriggy update! If i could have made it last minute, was def going SS mtb.

saw broken cranks, ripped off derailleurs, broken spokes, spun off pedals (you know if the spindle locks, the pedals come off)
@Norm, did you spot what is wrong with that last parenthetical phrase?

Good to see everyone today - Looking sharp in the new teamwear.

---

Anyone notice @Norm looks younger?

Stop sucking up

This. I feel like I have pretty good bike control. I kept it up on all the downhills and rode through the real slop. There were some spots I was able to pass people, but then eventually you would hit that sticky slop where you had to get off. Luckily mechanic Magic did a good job and the bike stayed together to pick up a few spots in the results, but this was a runners race. @fidodie would have done well today.

Mulligan is a word that needs to be used more often in general.

Hey good seeing you yesterday.

Ok first, want to send a shout out to my man @capedoc for having a birthday. Props to you and your bridge standing dreams!

There are many things I could talk about today but I'm going to do the hiking thing on this one. Because that's what we did today instead of biking. I'll return to the minutia of cross racing and the like tomorrow. This one is a bit picture heavy and non-bike related so I'll separate the two.

We tossed out the idea of Mohunk on the planner earlier in the week, and both @seanrunnette and @2Julianas expressed interest. In the end Alex & Mark joined us while Sean stayed home and nursed his sore shoulder then went for a big ride in preparation (H) for his prostate exam known as Iron Cross next weekend. We didn't want to get up early so we decided to meet at 10:30 up at the Mohunk parking lot. Yeah it costs money, but we're ok with it for a day.

D and Alex work out where we're going. D had found a link to a hike that was very descriptive so we were going to follow that. They discuss it below. Haha, holy shit I just realized I got this picture of them both pointing at the same time:

IMG_6608.jpg

If you are interested in the hike, see here:
https://hikethehudsonvalley.com/hikes/mohonk-mountain-house-labyrinth-and-lemon-squeeze/

The hike starts as a walk basically, on a gravel path that pretty much anyone with feet can navigate. Actually, probably you don't need feet. You can log roll it. It's super easy. After 5-10 minutes we got off the main path and hit one of the actual trails which was a lot more technical and fun. It took us up & over the hill as opposed to around it. All roads here lead to the Mohunk house and shortly we find ourselves there, which is where you sort of kick off the Labyrinth-to-Lemon Squeezer hike.

The Labyrinth is more of a rock scramble and it went from a really easy hike to a much more strenuous and fun hike. D has a ton of pictures on Facebook. Here we are in between things.

44023886_10156534084035993_5306515382213804032_n.jpg

The link above does warn you that the queue gets a little backed up, and as we approached the actual Squeeze this was the case for sure. It gets really tight at the top and you need to wrangle your way up the last bit. So there was a lot of us waiting around below while whatever hunk of human was getting stuck at the top. So we took more pics. I like this one.

44079826_10156534084435993_6816170595479191552_n.jpg

Eventually we got to the top and got through it pretty quickly. It is a tight fit and you have to be in shape, for sure. But we're a group of people (we being the royal we, including the 4 of us on this hike and anyone reading this post) that are in exceptional shape compared to the collective masses, washed or unwashed. We got to the top and took pics of the 4 girls ahead of us, then they took a pic of us. Ahoy Hudson Valley!

IMG_6612.jpg

Yes I dress myself. Had to add orange to break up the monotonous olive drab outfit. So here is my assessment of this hike: you should do it. It's really unique and cool as hell. I know a bunch of people have done this and it's easy to understand why. This is our second trip up here and it's fun to slowly piece it together. The colors weren't popping quite yet but they were nice, and the day was pleasant. Plus with the trails in NJ being a messy affair, this was a great day for something different.

I wanted to add in the Giant's Grudle but we were tight on time so we went around the lake and did 1 last ascent trail then walked back around the other side. We'll save some of the other stuff for the next time we are here. Here is a good view of the Lemon Squeezer from across the lake. That hunk of rock on the right side with the gap in it? You go up the middle that via ladders and rock scrambling. It's pretty neat. You can see the people on the top right who have just come out. After this you can go up to the tower which we did.

44098164_10156534086205993_2518378366344626176_n.jpg

Walked back to the car a different way then stopped at Main Course for a really late lunch of early dinner. Food was good, coffee was atrocious. I would go back for the food.

IMG_2452.JPG

This was an excellent day with excellent friends. It was really nice to spend it with Alex & Mark since they weren't able to make it last week. It was also a much-needed escape from biking after yesterday's race. D really wanted to do this and I'm glad she pushed it. Solid day, from start to finish.

Speaking of finishing, just like last night, we wrapped up the day with one of these:

44099751_10216669848874613_1313548320790020096_n.jpg

That's a terrible way to live life Steve.

I'm not saying you should live to have every day be a disaster. But it's how we get through the tough times thrown at us that define us, and when looking back, what we remember.

If every day was rainbows and ice cream, we'd start complaining about ice cream flavors.

My son and I do a ton of hiking- usually in Harriman SP We did a loop that included Claudius Smith’s hideout which we turned into a history project.

It’s a great place if you’re on time budget or just not in the mood to travel to anything Montgomery County or north.

4DF29236-CFDB-4B55-9156-DBF6BA7788F6.jpeg71EFFC5A-1D82-4AC0-B76D-F958E447049F.jpeg7BFE8BE9-8044-4DA8-9244-B0F54C2B3675.jpeg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom