How Quickly will mwlikeseBikes be Banned on Trails in our Area?

Noticed a no motorized bike sign at baldpate this morning. Isn't new or anything just noticed it for the first time.

I road an e-bike (pulling a trailer) for the first time this past weekend. It's a motorcycle. In turbo mode it has tons of power and goes 20 mph with almost no rider effort. You just need to turn the pedals and it takes off. Climbs steep trails and over roots & rocks with no problem. Sure you can turn the power down, but who's gonna do that?
Super fun for sure, but clearly a motorcycle.
A great tool for trail maintenance and can pull a trailer loaded with stuff.
Yeah, I rode one of the e bikes with the cart in the front for a kid. My son, whose is 90 lbs was In the front and the bike Israel’s was probably 40 lbs. I was up to 20 mph in a few pedal strokes. I understand you can’t burnout on it, but I am not sure how there is an argument that people can’t go any faster on them.

One thing is clear, if a group of cyclists can’t figure out what an ebike is then what chance does a land manager have of ever understanding these things? Motorcycle? Moped? Really? I get destroyed time and time again by our varsity student athletes while on the ebike. In most cases they easily out pedal my power fly. That being said, am I advocating for their recreational use? Nope, don’t really care enough and my motivation is multi-use for mountain bikes. I think I’m mostly astounded by everyone here who have never actually pedaled an ebike yet have already formed an opinion of what they actually are.

I pull a trailer packed with tools, chainsaws, fuel, etc. for trail maintenance. I set NICA courses pulling the same trailer packed with step-ins, snow fencing, stakes, signs, etc. Our last race, we had an EMT on one of our ebikes and were able to respond almost 15 minutes quicker than the park police on a quad. Ebikes are absolutely amazing and serve an incredible purpose.

IMG_0155.JPG

One thing is clear, if a group of cyclists can’t figure out what an ebike is then what chance does a land manager have of ever understanding these things? Motorcycle? Moped? Really? I get destroyed time and time again by our varsity student athletes while on the ebike. In most cases they easily out pedal my power fly. That being said, am I advocating for their recreational use? Nope, don’t really care enough and my motivation is multi-use for mountain bikes. I think I’m mostly astounded by everyone here who have never actually pedaled an ebike yet have already formed an opinion of what they actually are.

I pull a trailer packed with tools, chainsaws, fuel, etc. for trail maintenance. I set NICA courses pulling the same trailer packed with step-ins, snow fencing, stakes, signs, etc. Our last race, we had an EMT on one of our ebikes and were able to respond almost 15 minutes quicker than the park police on a quad. Ebikes are absolutely amazing and serve an incredible purpose.

View attachment 68515
Agreed, they are an incredibly useful tool in so many ways. There's definitely a place for e-bikes for trail management, safety, etc. You can cover a lot of ground with little effort. Even some form of recreational use for certain trails & user groups. Not sure what that is at this point.
Calling it a motorcycle is probably too strong, but it's more than just pedal assist. It's a scooter :)

From my brief experience I think they have the same impact on the trail as any MTB. They can't do a burnout or anything like that and it tops out at 20 mph.
What about when new models get more powerful and/or faster? If this type of motor vehicle gets allowed, why not others?
It's a slippery slope for which I am on the fence. Besides, slippery slopes are for snowboards...

Agreed, they are an incredibly useful tool in so many ways. There's definitely a place for e-bikes for trail management, safety, etc. You can cover a lot of ground with little effort. Even some form of recreational use for certain trails & user groups. Not sure what that is at this point.
Calling it a motorcycle is probably too strong, but it's more than just pedal assist. It's a scooter :)

From my brief experience I think they have the same impact on the trail as any MTB. They can't do a burnout or anything like that and it tops out at 20 mph.
What about when new models get more powerful and/or faster? If this type of motor vehicle gets allowed, why not others?
It's a slippery slope for which I am on the fence. Besides, slippery slopes are for snowboards...

remember when they didn't allow snowboards at many of the mountains?

Rule makers will probably lump them in with the e-motorcycles,Alta, Redshift, KTM,etc., from a liability standpoint. I agree they have a place in the game, especially for the medical angle.

Back
Top Bottom