Cutting the cord (this again!)

I just got a Amazon fire stick with kodi installed. Holy crap. Every show and movie you could ask for.

Mohu running 25% off select antennas
If you want OTA channels, this is the way to go.
OTA channels?
Inform me here.
Looks like you need to be near broadcasting sites or am I wrong. Will the work out here in the sticks?
All I care about is Mets and Raiders. Everything else is streamed at my house and looking for an excuse to dump directv.

OTA channels?
Inform me here.
Looks like you need to be near broadcasting sites or am I wrong. Will the work out here in the sticks?
All I care about is Mets and Raiders. Everything else is streamed at my house and looking for an excuse to dump directv.
OTA = Over The Air, like local network stuff. Go to mohu.com, plug in your coordinates, and it'll tell you what antenna you need and what channels you can expect to get. Works like a charm here near the city, maybe less good in sticks, but look it up.

Bump bump, 1.5 years after I started this thread I'm still paying for cable. It's now $190 a month, no thanks.

Has anything changed lately? Anything new on the horizon? I'm planning to go $20 sling package + $15 HBO + 50mbps internet for a total of $90 a month.

@jShort are you still surviving on 25 mbps? I called Verizon to get a quote on internet only and they are so convinced that I can't cut the cord on 50mbps service, which I know is bullshit. We have no problems streaming now at this bandwidth.

@jmanic @Robin @UtahJoe is everything still working out?

I don't know if this has been covered yet but cutting the cord is as simple as this (did it for my nephew while away at school).

1. Buy a streaming device (in our case an ATV4). There are more apps available for ATV4 than a SmartTV.

2. Have a family member create an email address in the Optimum, Xfinity, FIOS portal (choose the cool cousin with all the services).

3. Download the TV apps you want to watch to your device (ESPN, ABC, etc etc). All the big players are available. Login with the credentials they made for you and you're done.

4. Get a Netflix account. If you're a TV person, it may just be the best $11ish bucks you can spend. Their original programming is some of the best content available.

Additionally, with all the streaming choices available (PS Vue, DTVN, Sling, Hulu Live, and YouTube TV) these experiences will only get better while I don't think any of them are there yet, soon should be ready to give you a full featured alternative to traditional cable providers.

Bump bump, 1.5 years after I started this thread I'm still paying for cable. It's now $190 a month, no thanks.

Has anything changed lately? Anything new on the horizon? I'm planning to go $20 sling package + $15 HBO + 50mbps internet for a total of $90 a month.

@jShort are you still surviving on 25 mbps? I called Verizon to get a quote on internet only and they are so convinced that I can't cut the cord on 50mbps service, which I know is bullshit. We have no problems streaming now at this bandwidth.

On one extreme end, you can cancel everything to figure out what you really can't live without. Then one by one bring things back as necessary. In the past 1.5 years I've paid zero for wifi because I can live with my phone hotspot.(indirectly paying verizon anyway but not really with my work phone) Summer detox, you do have a choice and you are making it.

In Colorado i have mountain broadban and I use a antenna that I purchased from wall mart that gives me 50 channels , I added the fire stick and then burned it so now I get every movie and show for free . I still have to pay for internet at 50 bucks a month but it's a lot better then my 200 bill I have in jersey . I also purchased a wifi thing from Verizon before I had internet set up but the streaming would eat up the avail space . Good luck if your like me you watch maybe a hour of tv a day so it's really hard to justify those costs .

Reactions: rlb
HD Antenna TV comes in at better quality at my grandparents house than cable at mine. HD Antenna in conjunction with an Internet only plan at over 25Mbps is probably the way to go.

I just came back from a week in Florida... Condo had cable... Holy fuck is it annoying and terrible to A. deal with long commercial breaks B. Not be able to watch whatever I want when I want. So no way in hell I would go back... Can't really think of much TV wise I can't get..

Verizon is discountinuing email service and prices are staying the same and even going up? WTF.

Short answer:
Yup, 4 years in and still rockin' like Dokken.

Set up:
Time Warner with 25mbps internets
Roku 3
Mohu antenna for OTA
Chromecast for the occasional streaming web content
Netflix
Amazon Prime Video

Quite happy with this, but I do cheat (details below).

TL/DR response:
First off, I cheat like Lou describes.
I have a cool friend with all the channels.
Most importantly, this gets me ESPN, HBO, SHO.
In addition, I'm also linked to his Plex server with a ton of content.
Did I mention cool friend?
In return, I share my online access to the NY Times.
Somehow he thinks we are even.

95% of my content comes from Netflix and his Plex.

Would I do it without this?
Absolutely. Probably would add Sling or Hulu.
Or get a jailbroke Firestick.
Tons of content between Netflix and Amazon.

No problem with 25mbps service, occasionally get a warning about accessing HD content from the remote Plex server, but I'd wager this is more about my Wifi than internet speed.

Roku's global search function is nice. Returns results from all public sources, whether you have them or not. I imagine most streaming devices offer this now.

OTA is probably about as good as it gets where I am just outside of NYC.
Go to Mohu.com and plug in your coordinates to see what it's like by you.
And find a coupon code if you decide to buy from Mohu. Usually 10-20% off.

Random things:
After 4 years, when I do watch network tv or regular cable, commercials are actually fun and novel. YMMV.

Before cutting the cable, we watched maybe 3 hours/week.
We now watch an hour almost every night. Again, YMMV.

On one extreme end, you can cancel everything to figure out what you really can't live without. Then one by one bring things back as necessary. In the past 1.5 years I've paid zero for wifi because I can live with my phone hotspot.(indirectly paying verizon anyway but not really with my work phone) Summer detox, you do have a choice and you are making it.

I did this and ended up not needing anything except for YouTube. For ~6 months I was itchin' to turn something on and I had to fight the urge to bring something back. After a while the chemicals in your brain adjust. 3yrs later, I feel like a waste of time when I sit in front of Tv and lose interest quickly. Now I feel a great satisfaction from sticking the middle finger to the media and advertisement industry.

Last edited:
I did this and ended up not needing anything except for YouTube. For ~6 months I was itchin' to turn something on and I had to fight the urge to bring something back. After a while the chemicals in your brain adjust. 3yrs later, I feel like a waste of time when I sit in front of Tv and lose interest quickly. Now I feel a great satisfaction from sticking the middle finger to the media and advertisement industry.
Wha Bout them Mets then?

Back
Top Bottom