Cutting the cord (this again!)

Robin

Forgot to update. We cut cable a month ago. We have the highest internet speed offered by Comcast, called blast, which with taxes is $87/month. We have Netlix, Hulu, and Sling and our total bill is still about 1/2 of what we were paying before. Very happy with decision and wished we had done it sooner.

gtluke

The Moped
Not available in my area. :(
Verizon customers in New Jersey have paid $15 billion in surcharges in return for the telecommunications giant's guarantee that it would deliver broadband internet to every resident of the Garden State by 2010.

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
Forgot to update. We cut cable a month ago. We have the highest internet speed offered by Comcast, called blast, which with taxes is $87/month. We have Netlix, Hulu, and Sling and our total bill is still about 1/2 of what we were paying before. Very happy with decision and wished we had done it sooner.

oo! oo! sling!

how is it? i totally forgot to look into reviews of sling. if its good, this would be the deal-breaker for us to cut the cord.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
Verizon customers in New Jersey have paid $15 billion in surcharges in return for the telecommunications giant's guarantee that it would deliver broadband internet to every resident of the Garden State by 2010.
I did? Bloody bastards! No fios in my area either. :(

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's

Source? Not saying it's not true, but would like to see the details.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
haven't purchased a verizon product since my nj bell land line...long gone!
or maybe something from nynex.....

as an aside - 5G speeds in the Gb/s range are not that far off. it really doesn't make sense to hang wires(fiber) on poles
that can get knocked down by trees/ice/wind/jackalopes...they should accelerate fixed wireless (4G specs 1Gb/s), and virtual
computing, on the upstream side of the link. a little peer-2-peer integration in tough spots wouldn't hurt either.

Last edited:

gtluke

The Moped
Interesting. I'd like to see what was actually promised.

I don't blame Verizon. They should take that remaining 15 billion and get LTE to 100mbps and 95% coverage. Then plop a LTE modem in everyone's attic. No digging, easy upgrades.

Robin

oo! oo! sling!

how is it? i totally forgot to look into reviews of sling. if its good, this would be the deal-breaker for us to cut the cord.

we got it because we like some of the shows on AMC. THere is "live" TV, so you can watch the show in realtime. For me, who can't stay awake past 9 pm, the shows are "on-demand" after/I catch up when I can.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Let's see how difficult Comcast makes it to hook this up.

I love how the Xfinity wireless router also has a public Xfinity hotspot so any Xfinity customer can hog my houses bandwidth.

And they charge me 10 bucks a month to let them keep their hotspot in my house.

0319161138a.jpg

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I went and bought my own router. Went through that with Verizon where the charge you monthly for a router that should be paid for in six months but continue to charge for it. What a scam.

jnos

Let's see how difficult Comcast makes it to hook this up.

At my last house, I had no issue with Comcast and a Surfboard. Was able to set everything up myself with no service tech coming to visit.

I love how the Xfinity wireless router also has a public Xfinity hotspot so any Xfinity customer can hog my houses bandwidth.

And they charge me 10 bucks a month to let them keep their hotspot in my house.
Hmmm...when optimum was setting me up yesterday they told me I could take use their router for free. I declined because I knew they were up to something, I just couldn't figure out what. Pay for a modem, but have the router for free even if I use my own modem...nope...you're screwing me somehow. This makes lots of sense now.
Optimum wouldn't let me do the setup myself. $45 installation charge for the tech to call headquarters and read them my modem ID number.

Top Bottom