Fat bike? Fad? Yeah or nay?

mtbnj.jpg
meh, thats like saying i need to wear this rain jacket when its 100 degrees because it might rain for 5 minutes on a 4 hour ride... i'm sure you could get by without the rain jacket

but any speed downhill over 10mph i would rather have a bike with suspension

True story. The only thing I don't like about the fatty is going fast on a rocky downhill. But I don't really care that much about going fast, so it isn't a big deal. I am such a huge fan of the fatty on technical climbs and crazy rock gardens though.

ever try and use the scissors on the swiss army knife? they suck royally
ARE YOU SAYING THE SWISS DON'T KNOW HOW TO RIDE BIKES?
I have two words for you: Nino whatever his name

Phew, y'all were going soft.

please explain in further detail

i agree a fat bike would be fine at places like the sourlands and water co because of the rock crawler feature vibe, but any speed downhill over 10mph i would rather have a bike with suspension
Explain why @ktmrider owns about 4 DH strava segments on a fatbike that I tried to take on DH bike and @jShort hasn't taken Nassau. It's the rider sure but that rider was on a fatbike.

Explain why @ktmrider owns about 4 DH strava segments on a fatbike that I tried to take on DH bike and @jShort hasn't taken Nassau. It's the rider sure but that rider was on a fatbike.

Just because you called me out, Send me links of these segments. I never look at that shit but now I will.

The exception being the yellow trail at CR...Which by the way...I own.
https://www.strava.com/segments/1042021?filter=overall
Oh hey look.. not 1 fat bike in the top ten here. Woody has it the 11th, but he's an exception, no the norm.

@ReverendNewman, just go test out some bikes and form your own opinion. Everyone's is different depending on whether you hunt segments, race, or whateva. I like to say that the fatty puts the F U back in fun and no one on this board will make me think any different.....fin

Just because you called me out, Send me links of these segments. I never look at that shit but now I will.

The exception being the yellow trail at CR...Which by the way...I own.
https://www.strava.com/segments/1042021?filter=overall
Oh hey look.. not 1 fat bike in the top ten here. Woody has it the 11th, but he's an exception, no the norm.
IIRC it was from down vorhees to Nassau. He has a few in DP that some real talent aren't even close. This is not to offend only to point out that you can go fast downhill.

IIRC it was from down vorhees to Nassau. He has a few in DP that some real talent aren't even close. This is not to offend only to point out that you can go fast downhill.

I don't think he rides a fat bike exclusively, although I'm sure he's fast as shit on it. I'm also pretty sure his fatty has a suspension fork on it, which probably makes a difference on rocky downhills. I should try a suspension fork on my fatty someday.

Last time a checked I have a few crowns at Allaire, some top tens too.

On a fat bike. All on a fat bike.

Isn't that what we were discussing? Fat bikes at Allaire?

Nice try, but this thread is off the rails and isn't coming back.
Sick.

Go buy a non-fat bike from Halters and race the Mtbnj series. Stay away from Allaire, riding south of six mile sux.

Use said bike to race all the Mtbnj events, don't expect to win any doe cause the team rules all.

Buy Mtbnj socks for $20, better yet, but several. Pairs.

Does that make everything better?

I think there's also a bit of a difference between consistently recommending winner footwear compared to bashing a segment of the cycling population

Sick.

Go buy a non-fat bike from Halters and race the Mtbnj series. Stay away from Allaire, riding south of six mile sux.

Use said bike to race all the Mtbnj events, don't expect to win any doe cause the team rules all.

Buy Mtbnj socks for $20, better yet, but several. Pairs.

Does that make everything better?

That's a stretch.... Half the team has fat bikes. Just because mtbnj as a race promoter is completely supportive of fatbikes as proven by having a fatbike class in the first place....doesn't mean I have to agree with everything.

Don't make this a MTBNJ vs. fatbike thing.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions