Fat bike? Fad? Yeah or nay?

ReverendNewman

I'm thinking about it. Ride mostly at Allaire. Some guys I spoke with swear by them, though it always seems I see them walking them up hills. And, I was wondering if full suspension would be overkill. I'm riding a Fuel EX8 27.5 now. Love it. But those fat bikes look like they'd be a blast.

We ride fatties @ Allaire and live fairly close by in Toms River. I agree that the people you see walking @ Allaire would be walking any bike not just a fattie. I find the fat bike to be a good choice for Pat and I as a stable platform and capable under any condition we throw at it. I am also no slower on the fatty than on my 26er hard tail. We ride the local parks, the beach in winter and most times it snows. We also bushwack between parks during the winter as an exploration adventure. We find them to be a blast, fad or not!
Ed and Pat

I'm thinking about it. Ride mostly at Allaire. Some guys I spoke with swear by them, though it always seems I see them walking them up hills. And, I was wondering if full suspension would be overkill. I'm riding a Fuel EX8 27.5 now. Love it. But those fat bikes look like they'd be a blast.
Fat can be the idden year round. IMO and I own a good one they are best for not so perfect conditions. I love mine in soft stuff but to be honest finding that perpect pressure is difficult. I feel like I am super fast but way too bouncy to the point of bouncing off trails or too cushy and tires are too glued to the point that it's tough to steer. That prrfect area is very small as far as pressure. This mainly goes for hardpack as the bike is a dream in anything soft.

My fatbike, I consider as a Swiss army bike. I use it to ride on the road, sandy trails, beach, regular single track, and the snow. It rides everything pretty decent! Definitely a sweet ride to add to your collection!

It's a great utility bike. Slack head angle so it's stable and steady in the rough stuff. It's a fun bike. Not a race bike. Not a trail bike. Fun bike for most surfaces and occasions.

It's a great utility bike. Slack head angle so it's stable and steady in the rough stuff. It's a fun bike. Not a race bike. Not a trail bike. Fun bike for most surfaces and occasions.

Ryan, please stop. These level-headed and reasonable replies will not be tolerated in political threads. I suggest you pick one side and scream at the other until you get frustrated and punch a wall.

Ryan, please stop. These level-headed and reasonable replies will not be tolerated in political threads. I suggest you pick one side and scream at the other until you get frustrated and punch a wall.
Why you hatin on me? I need to work on being snarky and malicious. Give me time I can be saved. SAD

Fad....and Allaire sucks.

Dammit, my avatar is of a fatbike at Allaire, so I guess my prior statement was full of it.

Buy a nice one that doesn't weigh 80# and you will ride the hell out of it. If you would like to try before you buy, PM me and you can test ride my Farley.....it's a 21.5 though

Fatbike is the bike for Allaire
please explain in further detail

i agree a fat bike would be fine at places like the sourlands and water co because of the rock crawler feature vibe, but any speed downhill over 10mph i would rather have a bike with suspension

@pearl, if you are running the full gambit of Allaire and not just the Hospital Road section there are many sandy areas that need to be traversed where the fat tire prevails. In addition the 29" diameter and fat width allows your to corner at speed (and hold speed) in the loose sections of trail........which is basically every trail there.

I would rather have a trail bike at sourlands with a 2.2-2.8" tire than a fatty.

For Allaire, especially in dry conditions, the float and traction are king.

meh, thats like saying i need to wear this rain jacket when its 100 degrees because it might rain for 5 minutes on a 4 hour ride... i'm sure you could get by without the rain jacket

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions