2015-2016 BIYF online winter complaint repository

3/19/2016
Moving time: 1:33:58
https://www.strava.com/activities/521283418

I had to go up to Manchester, NH for some work on Saturday morning. I brought a bike with me for the trip up and back. I planned stops about 1/2 way in each direction. Today's destination was Robinson State Park, in Feeding Hills, MA. I expected to roll-in about 2:00PM and was going to ride a few hours. Upon arrival, there were signs plastered all around the entrance warning about the gates closing at 4:00PM. OK, can I squeeze in 2 hours and avoid getting locked in???

The place has some pretty nice trails. Mostly it is double track and single track that is pretty smooth and flowy, with an occasional little climb here or there, but overall relatively little elevation. In looking at Strava after the fact, I can see there are a lot more trails than what I discovered and I should've stayed out in the eastern section. But, its not like I wasn't enjoying exploring someplace I had never been. I pretty much just keep taking random turns to check out the place.

I rolled back thru the parking area at about 3:25 and check Strava and its got 1:33 moving time. I did think about pressing it for another 27 minutes, but I really did not want to be stuck behind the gates and I did not want to cut it too close. So, I packed it in at that point.

Its a nice place that deserves another visit at some point. Not sure if its a destination spot, but I wouldn't mind having it in my backyard.

IMG_1581.JPG

IMG_1582.JPG

IMG_1584.JPG

IMG_1586.JPG

IMG_1587.JPG

3/19, 1hr. No strava, no pics. Cool with no score but want to share my new bike day stoke.

Weekend plans changed last night when the weather report fuckered our Sunday plans. We bagged on the team ride and started cutting trees at 8am at GCC to re-open the Summer Sizzler race course. We had such a great turnout of people that the job was finished by noon, so I hauled ass to Halter's and picked up my new Scalpel. @jdog hooked the bike up so incredibly. Huge thanks to Trip and Cody for helping me dial it before I left. The crew at Halter's is just amazing, it never ceases to amaze me how they navigate a busy day with so much calm and fun.

Got home a half hour later than I had promised to my rat, and he was ready to ride. Like dressed, helmetted and frothing. Left the flat pedals on that we used to tweak the bike, took it off the rack and left the driveway. I could not think of a better shakedown cruise than a #dadlyfe 'hood ride. Light rain for the second half of the ride, which was fitting to cure "omagawdnewbikedontgetdirty-itis".

Days like today make me wonder what its like to not cram 10lbs of life into a 5lb sack. I don't long for the days that I even out the load, but will welcome them with open arms.

How were the trails? Where did you link on out of turkey brook....back by the dog park side?

The White Trail was dry, some of Orange was moist, as it follows Turkey Brook and gets boggy. There were a couple areas where they had Lots of cut logs across the trail.

I followed White and it pops out of woods on dirt road. It is not too near the dog park. Look at my Strava file to see it is far from dog park. I followed the dirt road out and turned right onto Flanders Rd. Went about 1000 feet and crossed road onto Greenway trails. There are White blazes. Followed White and Olive trails out to Goldmine rd. Crossed Goldmine rd. and continued on White, but it got really swampy, so I turned around.

Last edited:
BTW - Let me be the first to say - @liong71er you completely owned biyf. I can't say I was surprised, but man am I always impressed by your efforts. These things take mental strength, and you are truly in an elite class in that department. Rest of the elites - much respect. I am glad I was guilted into "riding" with you guys :D

Props to everyone else who posted rides in this monster thread. I am looking forward to seeing the collective stats for the winter and maybe a pic recap thread. My favorite part of it is seeing everyone's pictures, and this winter really delivered.

BTW - Let me be the first to say - @liong71er you completely owned biyf. I can't say I was surprised, but man am I always impressed by your efforts. These things take mental strength, and you are truly in an elite class in that department. Rest of the elites - much respect. I am glad I was guilted into "riding" with you guys :D

Props to everyone else who posted rides in this monster thread. I am looking forward to seeing the collective stats for the winter and maybe a pic recap thread. My favorite part of it is seeing everyone's pictures, and this winter really delivered.

i also really enjoyed this thing, what a great idea this is

i rode more this winter than i did all last year, thats huge for me considering the 2 previous winters i basically just gave up

Not that it matters:

3/19/16

Moving time: 2:42:01 (Really 3:15:01 but GPS crapped out)
Miles: 29.9

The caddy

https://www.strava.com/activities/521154723

A switch of jobs killed me over the last two months competition wise, but either way, @liong71er would have still killed it, congrats.

This competition has still made me a way stronger rider as well as helped me drop 14lbs. Can't wait for next year!

Dammit I worry that @teabagger11 has some epic ride up his sleeve. Grrrrrr.

Oh well. Used today as a test of the HoH 42x18 gearing on the hills:
Longview, Hollow Brook (ouch), Bissel, Hickory Run, Rocky Run, Frog Hollow, and Black River. With the easier gearing there was less trauma involved on the steep sections but slooooooow on the flat portions of the route.

59 miles, 4:11 moving time

https://www.strava.com/activities/521400173

Glad the ride ended when it did, legs are pooped.

View attachment 33022

W

Impressive on a SS. I'm liking this ride, with a little work I can turn this into a miserable century.

Back
Top Bottom