Can we talk about winter riding apparel?

I've Been meaning to grab some warmers, that's what I've had to do in the past. Just haven't bought any yet this year.

I have lakes but not the MX302 or 303 version, it's something they don't make anymore. Can't recall model. They're a few sizes larger, so my feet aren't restricted but they just don't do it for me. I was also wearing a skull cap, actually every other part of me was sweating.

Gonna have to check out the wolvhammers. They're going to look a bit silly on the road.

I am ready to officially endorse the http://www.answerproducts.com/apparel/gloves/sleestak/ answer Sleestak gloves. These are only $40 and rated to 20 degrees. I figured for the money they were worth a try. I am really liking the 1-3 split and it answers the lobster issue for one speed of having to brake with two fingers. The top of nylon and actually sheds water, which is what I was looking for since other winter gloves I have are like sponges in the rain. I rode last week in really hard rain and they got wet via the palm and not the top, but for light rain that would not happen. I have not tested the limits but this are looking good. For the money, these may be unbeatable.

gloves-sleestak-red.jpg

Last edited:
I am ready i official endorse the http://www.answerproducts.com/apparel/gloves/sleestak/ answer Sleestak gloves. These are only $40 and rated to 20 degrees. I figured for the money they were worth a try. I am really liking the 1-3 spilt and it answers the lobster issue for one speed of having to brake with two fingers. The top of nylon and actually sheds water, which is what I was look for since other winter gloves I have are like sponges in the rain. I rode last week in really hard rain and they got wet via the palm and not the top, but for light rain that would not happen. For the money, these may be unbeatable.

That's the first pair of 1-3 gloves I think I've ever seen. That's cool. Plus, I applaud their homage to Sid and Marty Kroft's epic creation.

And on that subject, here is some completely random, cocktail party trivia for your Monday morning: former Detroit Piston center and almost universally hated NBA villain Bill Laimbeer played a Sleestak on Land of the Lost.

I am ready to officially endorse the http://www.answerproducts.com/apparel/gloves/sleestak/ answer Sleestak gloves. These are only $40 and rated to 20 degrees. I figured for the money they were worth a try. I am really liking the 1-3 split and it answers the lobster issue for one speed of having to brake with two fingers. The top of nylon and actually sheds water, which is what I was looking for since other winter gloves I have are like sponges in the rain. I rode last week in really hard rain and they got wet via the palm and not the top, but for light rain that would not happen. I have not tested the limits but this are looking good. For the money, these may be unbeatable.

snip

how were they for sizing? don't want the short finger issue - i like that they measure length and not circumference.

ty for the review - always helpful.

Last edited:
how were they for sizing? don't want the short finger issue - i like that they measure length and not circumference.

ty for the review - always helpful.

I am typically a "10" on gloves but I got the Xl with the intention of being able to put thinner gloves in them for very cold temps. They are bordering on being too big but just on the good side of too big.

I've Been meaning to grab some warmers, that's what I've had to do in the past. Just haven't bought any yet this year.

I have lakes but not the MX302 or 303 version, it's something they don't make anymore. Can't recall model. They're a few sizes larger, so my feet aren't restricted but they just don't do it for me. I was also wearing a skull cap, actually every other part of me was sweating.

Gonna have to check out the wolvhammers. They're going to look a bit silly on the road.

I have really cold feet and I'm really happy with the Wolvehammers. You might want to check the Fasterkatts too. They are rated 25F to 45F, not as warm as the Wolvehammers but maybe enough for you? They are a bit lighter than the Wolvehammers, less bulkier and they have a Road version. Ah, they are cheaper too!

Last edited:
So what's the deal with head, neck, face protection - baclava? Any preferred brands, material?

i went out last night. it was 8 degrees and very very windy. i have a thick fleece hood, covers the neck and face. its sorta like a heater for surfing. i had a couple moments when the wind got in where my face hurt real bad, but 90% of the time i was golden. it looks like this (ignore the dumb model picture, its not that huge but its definitely not aero):

hood thing

that's a pretty extreme case. most of the time i wear this and only when its pretty damn cold, but last night i wouldn't have gotten away with it:

balaclava

other times i just throw a knit skull cap under the helmet just to keep the ears warm if i'm out mountain biking. on the road the wind bugs me but mountain biking not so much so i don't cover my face unless its brutal out.

So what's the deal with head, neck, face protection - baclava? Any preferred brands, material?

These are my favorite types of baclava.

Baklava.jpg

Over on JimV's thread, he talks about neck gaiter. I tried it the other day along with a hat in -7 wind chill and it works well.

I have this one baclava where the mouth part is easily roll-downable made by Illumi Nite (it's my favorite baclava other than the edible one):

http://www.sportsunlimitedinc.com/illuminite-reflective-cold-weather-hood.html

illuminite-reflective-cold-weather-hood.jpg

Last edited:
I'll be back on the bike next week and that is the only item I haven't picked up yet. I like that PI baclava and that isn't too expensive.

hood thing

that's a pretty extreme case. most of the time i wear this and only when its pretty damn cold, but last night i wouldn't have gotten away with it:

balaclava

I'm normally ok with just baclava even in days like yesterday, so I think it depends on your tolerance.

For some reason, my toes never function even with winter boots. I always need 2 chemical warmers in each shoe, so a lot of times I just end up wearing my summer shoes.

I'm normally ok with just baclava even in days like yesterday, so I think it depends on your tolerance.

For some reason, my toes never function even with winter boots. I always need 2 chemical warmers in each shoe, so a lot of times I just end up wearing my summer shoes.

my balalalalala doesn't stop the wind too hot anymore. stretched out i guess. maybe i washed it too much? who knows. but the wind rips on my head. face is usually not the issue, but the top of my head.

i wear the summer shoes too. last night i cut up some 4 mil contractor bags and wrapped my wool socks in the bag remnants. worked like a charm.

my balalalalala doesn't stop the wind too hot anymore. stretched out i guess. maybe i washed it too much? who knows. but the wind rips on my head. face is usually not the issue, but the top of my head.

This is an interesting point. I feel like some of my gear has also begun to let more wind through over the years of washing. I thought it might be in my head, but maybe there is something to it. I must have a hot head.

Last edited:
I can't stand Balaclavas and have found neck gaitors work much better, cover up to nose when you need and keep drafts out of you jersey/jacket. I gave the rapha winter collar and an ems one with wind stopper for below 20 on the road

Last edited:
Tried something new today - we spoke with a ski boot fitter last year, and he felt my wife's boots were sized correctly, and that if the pain is coming on after a couple hours - perhaps it is just cold.

ski boots usually end up dumped near the front door, then go in the hatch for the ride to the slopes. the slowly get colder, and colder.

he recommended a boot heater bag - the night before, plug it in, put it on low. wake up in the morning, turn it up. putting 90F boots on when it is cold - bonus - your feet don't have to heat them.

so i tried it with my bike shoes today - did i mention it has a plug to keep them warm in the car? in went the shoes and the covers (covers off) - took them out about 3 hours later in the lot - wrapped warm shoes in the shoe covers - magic! they never got cold (although it did warm up above freezing) -

just very comfortable without going to special shoes or chemical warmers. not sure it would work as well on the road with the higher speed/wind.

Back
Top Bottom