Homebrewers

Pumpkin Brew

I made this last year as an extract recipe and it was fantastic so my wife requested i make it again this year. This time I decided it would be my first shot at all grain. I used a little over 10.8lbs of grain, 2 cans of Pumpkin puree, I also used molasses, a pound of brown sugar and a pound of maple syrup.

After I put my strike water into the mash tun I noticed a substantial leak from the bulkhead. I lost a lot of heat at this point so I dumped the water back into the kettle and fixed the bulkhead. This worked out because the temps were coming up low to begin with so it gave me a second chance to nail it. Target was 12.8L @165.9 so I shot for 172 to compensate for the cooler absorbing some heat. After a few minutes of heating the mash tun the temp dropped to mash in temp and I added my grain. This dropped to the temp to 153.1, just shy of the 154 I wanted.

be72e4ce.jpg

After a 45 minute mash I collected the wort and prepared 2 rounds of 7L of 168-170ish sparge water. Here's where the trouble started. I only have one 5 gallon kettle so I had to get creative with where I put all this wort. I ended up filling two pots with the mash and decided to use the ale pale to collect the sparge water. Later I slowly, using a cup, added all the wort from the other pots together to homogenize it.

7b58e880.jpg

I was concerned about hot side aeration so tried not to splash too much. I ended up with probably close to 6 gallons. Then I put about four gallons back into my kettle and the rest into a big pot. The pot boiled for an hour but I didn't make any additions to it. The kettle got 1oz hallertaur at 60 min, then at 15 it got an ounce of cascade along with nutmeg, 3 cinnamon sticks and some Irish moss. At flame out I added 1/4 cup molasses and 350 ml of pure maple syrup. Earlier I put the two cans of pumpkin in a brownie sheet drizzled some molasses on it and baked it for an hour at 375.Then I soaked the pumpkin in the wort for a half hour keeping the temp between 160-180. After that I cooled. I couldn't cool all the wort down so I put it in my fermenting bucket to cool overnight. I ended up with just shy of 5 gallons of 1.075 wort. I may top up to 5 gallons before pitching or just leave it... I'll probably rack and dry hop around mid September and hope all the flavors come together by end of October for my wife's birthday.

Update: Finally got it cooled to the low 70's so I aerated for a minute with O2 and pitched safeale-04 around 11:15pm. I woke up with the dog around 5 AM and it was bubbling away.

For a first go at all grain brewing it went pretty smoothly but it definitely would have been less stressful if I had a second kettle to use as a dedicated hot liquor tank. It also wouldn't hurt if that kettle had a bulkhead and sight glass either.

Some pics I was able to take in between steps:

Pumpkin Before

128138b3.jpg

After

caae3ab7.jpg

My assistant

660eddc6.jpg

Nice copper color and some hot break

741825eb.jpg

Last edited:
Looking good Bill! Its definitely time to start Brewing the cold weather beer. Looking foward to trying the all grain version this Fall!

August12th will be an epic day of brewing...... :getsome:

All Citra IPA

I recently placed 3rd in NJ State Fair home brew competition for American IPA with this beer and figured I would share the recipe. I did a conversion down to extract and it came out great. Personally love Citra hops and the nose on this beer is ridiculous,

6.00 lb Extra Light Dry Extract
1.00 lb Munich Malt
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt
1.00 oz Citra @60
1.00 oz Citra @30
1.00 oz Citra @15
1.00 oz Citra @10
1.00 oz Citra @ Flame out
3.00 oz Citra Dry Hop 10 days

yeast starter with Safeale 04 - This yeast starts fermenting VERY quickly

Last edited:
^^^ what were the times on all the hops ? jw
i just did a citra PA....
im pushing the time table on it to have it drinkable for aug17
brewed the sunday before last.
dry hopped today in the primary
plan to bottle sunday.....
we will see how it turns out (the hydro sample tasted good)

i did mine with amirillo sorrachi ace and citra...
i just dry hopped it today with an oz od citra leaf....

Last edited:
^^^ what were the times on all the hops ? jw
i just did a citra PA....
im pushing the time table on it to have it drinkable for aug17
brewed the sunday before last.
dry hopped today in the primary
plan to bottle sunday.....
we will see how it turns out (the hydro sample tasted good)

i did mine with amirillo sorrachi ace and citra...
i just dry hopped it today with an oz od citra leaf....

Updated the hop schedule. I think Amarillo / Cascade/ Centenial would be good at the 60 min with the citra additions as well.

Yeah my original plan was to use just amirillo and citra but .75 oz of soracchi was in the freezer so I went. With
.5 sorachi ace :FWH
.5 amirillo. :FWH
.5 citra. :30 mins
.5 amirillo. :15 mins
.25 sorachi. :15
.5. Citra. :7 mins

1oz citra dry hop.

I recently placed 3rd in NJ State Fair home brew competition for American IPA with this beer and figured I would share the recipe.

Congrats on the award! Thats great man! I have do get my but in gear and enter some brews in competitions. I really would love to get some critical feedback.

You can make great beer as an extract brewer. It doesnt take much!

With that being said Bill and I brewed a Patersbier this past weekend. Bill has been helping me brew since my first brew last year. We really are getting things dialed together. We hit all our numbers on the nose. Much fun to brew with a friend!

To describe: Made only from pilsner malt and saaz hops.

"the complexity that results from these simple ingredients is staggering: perfumey floral hops, ripe pear fruit, sour apple, spicy cloves, candied citrus and a slight biscuit character on the drying finish ... a monk's session beer."

In a few weeks we will see how we did.

You all will be seeing this soon at a race near you!

These next few weekends Ill be getting mah brew on! On deck are
5 Gal-Mustache Rye'd - Rye Ipa
5 gal-Dead Ringer IPA
10 gal split batch of Wit
5/5 gal Belgian Imperial Stout/Porter Partigyle

*Remember tomorrow is National IPA Day!!!*

A super fun day! We had a blast brewed a lot of beer and had a lot of laughs. We brewed Belgian strong dark ale, brown ale, porter and an imperialish stout. Good times!

Fun day yesterday!! Thanks for taking the trip up guys! It was great to see you both. I miss my NJ peeps.

Imperial Stout

Brewed up a Imperial Stout that is now aging on whiskey soaked oak chips and 1 vanilla bean...boy did I underestimate the blow off it foamed over for 12 hrs and shot the airlock across the kitchen but managed to save 4 gallons

beer.jpg

Back
Top Bottom