MARVOKA 2023-2024

And there it is!! Let me know if you need any more.

Somehow I have 2. But at this point there’s no approval to put this up at RV. Currently the new park admin is still a WIP. Maybe I’ll call again this week…

It's Round Valley Tuesday!

I don't know why but I have set aside Tuesday afternoon for these efforts. Seems as good a day as any, no?

Parked at Cushetunk and rode up & over with the intention of picking up where I left off on top of Puke Hill. I had the hedge trimmer with me, and not the chainsaw. Again, not the chainsaw. Foreshadowing.

Then I found this on the way:

IMG_7708.jpeg

This is worse than it looks. The other side was probably messier. I turned the above into this:

IMG_7710.jpeg

The catch? I only had this:

IMG_7711.jpeg

That means that almost my entire time was spent clearing that lane. I probably should have gone back at that point but I wanted to ride up to where I left off. Thankfully, there were no more trees down on the way.

Here is what I found. A tree laying in the middle of the next section. I am standing where I left off last time.

IMG_7712.jpeg

I decided to turn it into this:

IMG_7713.jpeg

Not a lot of progress, but some overall progress nonetheless. I don't know if I'll come back with a chainsaw or not. I may just bring the hedge trimmer and a saw, and just deal with the toil of having to cut that beats out by hand.

Unfortunately I will not be able to get back out here for another 2 weeks, and daylight is rapidly receding.

I'll find a day as well next week. Will reach out for what needs work. It's getting deeper now which makes the walk quick a bit farther. Getting to puke hill probably takes a good hour right?

Ended up at 6MR rather then RV - so the tree is still there.
If i get up at dawn tomorrow, i'll get it.

Ok I went to Florida & came back. Sadly the tree didn’t walk away while I was gone.

IMG_7871.jpeg

Spent a few hours up top again cleaning out the Puke Hill Corridor.

IMG_7872.jpeg

Still needs some work but I’m thinking I need to figure out a way to get the string trimmer out there. 95% of the stuff remaining is low and my back doesn’t like the hedge trimmer for this.

Unfortunately a new monster tree has fallen in the last week close to the phone booth. Not sure I have a saw big enough for that.

Got out to RV this morning to address this big boy. Wasn't sure my eChainsaw would be able to hand but it was a non-issue in the end. From obstacle to feature in no time! The log pile is rideable in both directions.

Before & after:

IMG_7886.jpeg

IMG_7887.jpeg

Ok it’s been a minute but I’m back at it. I’ve shifted focus to the switchbacks. Starting from the bottom and working up, because I park in Cushetunk and ride all the way in.

These are going to be a challenge because it’s one massive fall line and real estate is limited.

First before & after is moving the tread of the turn higher and leaving the drainage down low. I also added some water diversion before this.

IMG_8118.jpeg
IMG_8119.jpeg

After this the trail sank to a really low wedge. I took it more straight across the higher dirt pile on the right. Before & after:

IMG_8120.jpeg
IMG_8121.jpeg

That may need tweaking in the spring. Getting tools out here is tough so I didn’t have everything I like to use.

On the way back to the car I trimmed 100 more feet of puke hill up top. I’m just gonna keep chipping away at that.

IMG_8123.jpeg

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions