Zwift - wattage question

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
even w/out a smart trainer or power meter, you’ll need to make sure your weight is correct. Everything in zwift revolves around w/kg. The speed on the sensor is not the speed in game. Also, check the difficulty slider. It effects the hills going both up and down.

Glenn Rides After 4 PM CST

Team MTBNJ Halter's
There's no wind in Zwift. Speeds are way higher than they should be. Yes you can do 20mph at 135-150 watts.
when it's pan flat.
When elevation starts to increase make sure your watts increase. Even 1% grade will slow you down.
Watch the w/kg when riding.
See what others are putting out when they pass you. It's probably double or triple yours

Edit I think this is the route you did. 20mph avg.
Check out my activity on Strava: https://strava.app.link/5qqz2v0Iucb

Last edited:

wonderturtle

even w/out a smart trainer or power meter, you’ll need to make sure your weight is correct. Everything in zwift revolves around w/kg. The speed on the sensor is not the speed in game. Also, check the difficulty slider. It effects the hills going both up and down.

“difficultly slider”? Hmmmm

wonderturtle

There's no wind in Zwift. Speeds are way higher than they should be. Yes you can do 20mph at 135-150 watts.
when it's pan flat.
When elevation starts to increase make sure your watts increase. Even 1% grade will slow you down.
Watch the w/kg when riding.
See what others are putting out when they pass you. It's probably double or triple yours

Edit I think this is the route you did. 20mph avg.
Check out my activity on Strava: https://strava.app.link/5qqz2v0Iucb

yeah that’s in-line with mine. Your wattage was a bit higher thus you averaged a bit faster.

I will look into everyone suggestions. Thx!!!

Seems my weight may be the biggest penalty. I’m about 220 (on a good day) so seems Zwift penalizes me for that.

goldsbar

“difficultly slider”? Hmmmm
This doesn't matter for you on a "dumb" trainer and it doesn't make things any faster or slower for those on a "smart" trainer. It merely changes the perception of hill steepness, not how fast you go up or down.

My experience is that while not in a draft, Zwift is around 2mph faster than real life. Perfect roads, no wind, perfect aero position on the bike and probably some fudging since the perception of going faster is more fun. Competitive group ride/race speed seems about right, probably because the draft in Zwift is only around 50% of real life.

Top Bottom