ztr 355 with panracers xc pros

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
well I purchased these wheelsets and went and mounted the xc pros and they are not holding air, I watch the video and did not use soap & water is this where mistake was made? Do I need sealant in tires? Is anyone running the same setup, any help would greatly apprecieated.

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
Yes, you need to use sealant. You also need to use the soap & water. More bubbles make it easier. You can actually get the tire to seat with just the soap & water (no sealant) but they will only hold air for a few minutes. An air compressor helps too. You may want to watch the video again & follow it step by step. Good luck.

CycleBoy

Sussex Bike and Sport
Shop Keep
well I purchased these wheelsets and went and mounted the xc pros and they are not holding air, I watch the video and did not use soap & water is this where mistake was made? Do I need sealant in tires? Is anyone running the same setup, any help would greatly apprecieated.

I wouldn't use fire xcs unless its the tubeless bead. You'll blow them off the rim no problem. The bead just isn't strong enough. I know that they are not even listed on Stans website (http://www.notubes.com/support_tire.php), but they are prone to burping and just blowing off the bead. I won't even work on them anymore only because of the reliability factor, and also cuz I'm tired of getting covered with Stans when they blow on me.

RNG1

I'm running the same exact setup although the xc pros are tubeless. I am actually not a huge fan of the tire for the front but they have been holding so well that I don't really want to change them. They have been holding air better than anything else so far. Did the last 3 races on them and they took a pounding and I run them at around 24lbs. You definitely need the soapy water, what I do is soap up the water and then froth the water with a brush so very little water gets on the rim and it is all bubbly like a bath. I now use a compressor which makes it less frustrating. And yes just watch the video again.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I wouldn't use fire xcs unless its the tubeless bead. You'll blow them off the rim no problem. The bead just isn't strong enough. I know that they are not even listed on Stans website (http://www.notubes.com/support_tire.php), but they are prone to burping and just blowing off the bead. I won't even work on them anymore only because of the reliability factor, and also cuz I'm tired of getting covered with Stans when they blow on me.

have you tried them because i called stans and they said no problem running the standard kevlar with the sealant

CycleBoy

Sussex Bike and Sport
Shop Keep
I'm a shop mechanic at Town Cycle and have had quite a few encounters with panaracer tires. The Fire XCs, Cinders, Rampages, and especially the new Razers all have been problematic for us. I succeeded for a while on my own rampage 29er, but that was low pressure and I eventually ran into issues with burping them. If you decide to use them, whatever you do, I wouldn't go over 35 psi in em. Use the tubeless, though, and you are good.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
thank you for the expert advise i will now take any advise on what everyone thinks I should use for the rocky north I ride in.

CycleBoy

Sussex Bike and Sport
Shop Keep
Unless you're racing, sacrifice the weight difference and use a ust or tubeless ready tire. It's simply going to hold up better in the rocks up here. Nevegals are a great tire. The Conti mountain Kings have been working for a lot of people as well.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
ripped the crap out of the kendas 5or6 rides into them plus multiple pinch flats even on the single ride no faith in these when i have to end up running to high of pressure. one of the main reasons for choosing this rim use being able to run standard tires right?

743power

Shop: Bicycle Pro
Shop Keep
have you tried them because i called stans and they said no problem running the standard kevlar with the sealant

I have found there is a lot of inconsistencies within that company. Different employees are willing to lend their individual opinion, which may differ with the website or another employee. I was talking to them in the spring about some stuff and I got a couple different answers to the same question.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I have found there is a lot of inconsistencies within that company. Different employees are willing to lend their individual opinion, which may differ with the website or another employee. I was talking to them in the spring about some stuff and I got a couple different answers to the same question.

interesting? thats why I ask the questions to get overall feed back,I may end up going with panracer ust version to save the hassle, and throw the standards on the other bike, but will look at mt. kings anyone else like these or run these tires on stans 355 rims?

Dug

mnt kings

I am running the 2.2 MK tire ghetto tubeless in the back
and 2.4 tubeless tire ghetto on the front.
My psi is about 37-38 and I think the traction is great.
I am really liking my setup so far.
good luck
Doug

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
just purchased mt.king supersonics 2.2s so we shall see. Do these hold up well? 180 tpi side walls sound rugged to me.

lmckee

I wouldn't use fire xcs unless its the tubeless bead. You'll blow them off the rim no problem. The bead just isn't strong enough.

He's not kidding. I had this happen to me first hand. After the stans was installed I took it out for a quick ride and not 5ft into the parking lot the tire blew completely off the rim and wrapped itself around the chainstay. Scared the shit out of me. I'm running Michelin drys now and have had no problems.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
were you using 355 rims and if so are the tires you are now on standard or ust?

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
well as I posted a few before I purchased mt. kings supersonics and have stans 355, but now debating if I should haved gotten the rim strips for these rims.

Panaracer Blowoff

Yeah, if you hear ANY reports of a tire blowing off a rim when being used as a ghetto-tubeless, BELIEVE it... I thought I could get away running a Panaracer Dart on my Stans ZTR 355s... Same thing... sat on the rim just fine for a good 2 hours, when suddenly without warning BOOOMM!!!...blew off before my eyes, about 10 feet from me... Scared the piss outta me, and there was Stans schmoo everywhere...

Resist the urge... DON'T DO IT!!!

That said, I run Panaracer Rampage 29ers as ghetto-tubeless (on my Stans ZTR Arch 29ers)... No problems whatsoever for many months, with at least 1 Stans schmoo refill in the mean time.... knock wood

Peace,
MBB

Top Bottom