Your next bike just got a lot more expensive

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I paid $2 per avocado yesterday and it lasted 10 minutes this morning. $8 is reasonable in those terms.
I was at Walmart yesterday and saw 88 cent avocados. I don't even eat avocados, but came home with 8 of them.

bergsnj

Back on topic, I believe most high end frames are made in places other than China like Taiwan. So tarrifs on China would have no effect on bike frame prices. So the bulk of the bike is made outside of China. So unless you are buying a bike at Target, the tariffs on China should have little effect. Its well known that bike brands raise prices every year. We all know that modern high end bike prices are out of control but we line up like lemmings to get the newest $10,000 plastic super bike.

ilnadi

i dont even argue with the shop rates anymore(i may cringe at some of them, but i just pay em and move on), my shop takes care of me and is up front about what needs to be done now and what can be done later (and how much later). They also do a great job of turning quick stuff around for me (often while i wait or run other errands). . . . worth every penny IMO
And tell you when you ask for some unnecessary repair, and fix the 80% job you did at home. Ok maybe that's just me

TimBay

$5!!?? @stb222 you just have to drive to the Jersey Shore for the deals.
Well they're probably just taking care of me since I've spent tens of dollars in bits there over the past year+. Lol. Too bad they only sell treks (and sorta cannondale), so it's unlikely I'll be buying a bike from them.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Well they're probably just taking care of me since I've spent tens of dollars in bits there over the past year+. Lol. Too bad they only sell treks (and sorta cannondale), so it's unlikely I'll be buying a bike from them.

you should at least take a look, see if they have anything you like, nothing wrong with trek bikes. . . .

Delish

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Back on topic, I believe most high end frames are made in places other than China like Taiwan. So tarrifs on China would have no effect on bike frame prices. So the bulk of the bike is made outside of China. So unless you are buying a bike at Target, the tariffs on China should have little effect. Its well known that bike brands raise prices every year. We all know that modern high end bike prices are out of control but we line up like lemmings to get the newest $10,000 plastic super bike.

This may be slightly more true than it was when tariffs were initially announced as some companies have shifted manufacturing out of China, but recent import data shows that China is still the primary source of bike stuff including fames, forks, drivetrain, rims, tires, tubes, etc... Every major bike brand at every price point depends on Chinese made bike stuff to varying degrees. Many to a very large degree.

TimBay

you should at least take a look, see if they have anything you like, nothing wrong with trek bikes. . . .
Oh, im keeping them in mind for sure. If somethings on sale it might work...but the Ripmo AF is making it hard to look at a lot of other bikes in my peasant price range.

serviceguy

What's up with this Ripmo AF hype, it doesn't look anything special to me.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
What's up with this Ripmo AF hype, it doesn't look anything special to me.

I tried one in Sedona and I thought it was a great bike. I mean new bikes are always awesome. So there's that. But one thing that was especially evident was that there seemed to be significantly fewer pedal strikes with this bike.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
But one thing that was especially evident was that there seemed to be significantly fewer pedal strikes with this bike.

I'm not saying that you are wrong, but you should ride it on your local trails for a proper comparison.

Top Bottom