Yo! Road Heads...I need help.

Neilism

I Owe Norm $10
Im looking for a cheap commuter bike that will also serve as an introduction to road riding. By budget is nill. I have the opportunity to purchase the following for about $150. Any opinions as to whether this is worth the money?? Thanks......:)

Miyata 310 vintage road bike. All original and in great condition! 62cm frame ~ Miyata and suntour components. Comes with Avenir bag with 2 new Avenir tire tubes that have never been used. The bike was obtained at an estate sale and we had it looked over at the local bike shop to make sure its in tip top shape.

J-Dro

I'm hardly a roadie expert, but I can say that 62cm is a pretty large frame. You will need to be pretty tall for this to fit you properly. For example, I'm 5'11" and ride a 56cm frame.

Proper fit on a road bike is way more critical then an MTB since you are not moving around so much and tend to sit in the same basic position for many miles. No matter how good a bargain the bike is, you will hate it if it doesn't fit you right.

Neilism

I Owe Norm $10
Nothing?

Nothing? No opinions? Its crunch time folks...I need to make a decision within the next few hours.....

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
where are all the roadies when u need them ??:rolleyes:...probably riding :p
$150 doesnt seem bad, but I had no clue about road bikes or components :eek:

Neilism

I Owe Norm $10
where are all the roadies when u need them ??:rolleyes:...probably riding :p
$150 doesnt seem bad, but I had no clue about road bikes or components :eek:

My thoughts exactly on the "where are they?" part. With this rare Sun, Im sure the lycra was applied early.

GSTim

Formerly M3Tim
NHM,

Actually, that price doesn't seem bad at all if the bike is really nice shape. The Miyata is a pretty nice bike, quite a bit heavier that what you can get now, but lighter than most of the '70s and 80's stuff that you can find cheap. I just got one from my local recycling center and rode it a few times, a little rough on the climbs (due to the gearing and already mentioned weight), but the ride was really smooth. The steel frames do soak up the rough stuff. And they look pretty sharp too. Take a look at this thread:

http://www.mtbnj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11707

Bottom line: If it fits you and you feel comfortable on then go for it, you can probably get at least what you paid for it if you sell it on Craigslist.

Tim

Neilism

I Owe Norm $10
too late.

Yeah I opted to pass on it.......but will continue to keep my eye out for similar models, just a bit less expensive. Tim, your find looks great.....checked out the print adds and damn the Pista track model in white and black is mint. The hunt continues.....

Top Bottom