Yeti fell off a rack on the way back from Mountain Creek

Been there, done that...

I believe from what I saw on the facebook thread it was the type of rack that holds the Top Tube, with a sloping TT I can easily see how it can work its way loose

I could imagine a bike on rack of a pick-up could be not noticed if it fell off. :shrug:

I'm not fond of any racks (although I've had a Thule rack for years in case I need to haul a bike on a car). That's why I have a van.

im not sure i agree, there is plent of bike above the tailgate on my full size that it should be noticed rather quickly if it were to go missing.

i also dont understand why you would put a rack on a pickup to begin with, i mean you have the entire bed to put bikes/stuff in (the exception to this being a road trip with other gear in the bed, although iv still never used a rack for this myself.)

I’m surprised this doesn’t happen more with the Range Rover crowd that has a $30 2 bike rack with 5 bikes on it...

Regards why this just sucks feel bad for the guy who can't ride his new bike without

JK I'd be beside myself if I lost my bike being today's punching bag would just stack onto being in a shit mood hope this gets a happy ending

as long as it didn't fall off an @02camaro ?
perhaps the person he sold it to? (i think he sold it - too lazy to look)

im not sure i agree, there is plent of bike above the tailgate on my full size that it should be noticed rather quickly if it were to go missing.

i also dont understand why you would put a rack on a pickup to begin with, i mean you have the entire bed to put bikes/stuff in (the exception to this being a road trip with other gear in the bed, although iv still never used a rack for this myself.)
Granted my pickup has a smaller bed (5ft), but I have a hitch rack (T2). It has to do with the size of my bed and the fact that with my hard folding tonneau cover down I’d have to take the front wheel off to get the bike in the back under the cover (handlebars don’t fit vertically or diagonally with the wheel on). Even with front thru axles I find more of a pain than loading and locking to a rack. Would rather avoid the hassle of a tailgate pad as I haven’t ever seen one I like and it wouldn’t work with my tonneau anyway. I even will take my rack off when the weather is bad so I can keep it nice and rust free if I know I won’t be riding. Takes 2 mins to put on even with a locking hitch pin and I like to keep the bed open for carrying all the other crap I carry on a daily basis. But everyone does things differently. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

I don't have direct personal experience, so I'll take your word for it. Two of my friends have/had trucks and both had hitch racks because they had covers on the bed of some type. The Transit Connect seems to be the popular choice among many of them now. Three of my friends have those and another is thinking about it. Basically so they can camp inside - they still have hitch racks.
Having had a bike stolen off a rack in the past, I want the bikes inside and out of sight which is why I have vans.

Dont most of those hard covers fold in thirds? so you can have the front third covered and then the rest open? takes like 5 seconds to flip back and forth from what iv seen?

I have a cover on my truck, i can fit one bike under it if i choose (mtn OR road) which is my typical method for transporting the bikes when im going to work (i ride at lunch), When moving multiple bikes i have recently acquired a tailgate pad that works fine, my next truck i will have the tailgate rhino lined and not worry about a pad, just toss the bikes on and go.

unless your a contractor of some sort idk what would need to be stored in the bed of your truck for an extended period that cant get wet. . . . I havent had my cover rolled out over the bed more than 2 days since i started WFH in march, my small toolbox keeps the essentials dry.

So speaking as someone this has actually happened to, when I first started riding 3 years ago it sucks and I almost shit myself. I was on 80 going about 70 when my rack failed and the bike came flying off, I saw it immediately. Fortunately, it was a weekend morning and traffic was light so I pulled over and the one car that was behind me swerved last second to miss it(not sure why last second because they were miles behind me). I got on the bike and rode it back to my car then continued to Stephens in which I completed my ride. I think it may have been an MTBNJ ride there but can't remember.

I had a hand me down top tube rack that was pretty crappy but worked although after that I would use a bunch of bungees and other straps to ensure that couldn't happen again. I now have a pickup and either put it on the roof rack or in the bed. Not sure how they didn't notice it until they got home but it really sucks and hopefully the bike is totally fine like mine was. Being carbon would stress me out a lot.

So speaking as someone this has actually happened to, when I first started riding 3 years ago it sucks and I almost shit myself. I was on 80 going about 70 when my rack failed and the bike came flying off, I saw it immediately. Fortunately, it was a weekend morning and traffic was light so I pulled over and the one car that was behind me swerved last second to miss it(not sure why last second because they were miles behind me). I got on the bike and rode it back to my car then continued to Stephens in which I completed my ride. I think it may have been an MTBNJ ride there but can't remember.

I had a hand me down top tube rack that was pretty crappy but worked although after that I would use a bunch of bungees and other straps to ensure that couldn't happen again. I now have a pickup and either put it on the roof rack or in the bed. Not sure how they didn't notice it until they got home but it really sucks and hopefully the bike is totally fine like mine was. Being carbon would stress me out a lot.

Was an OOS ride that I bailed on

Dont most of those hard covers fold in thirds? so you can have the front third covered and then the rest open? takes like 5 seconds to flip back and forth from what iv seen?

I have a cover on my truck, i can fit one bike under it if i choose (mtn OR road) which is my typical method for transporting the bikes when im going to work (i ride at lunch), When moving multiple bikes i have recently acquired a tailgate pad that works fine, my next truck i will have the tailgate rhino lined and not worry about a pad, just toss the bikes on and go.

unless your a contractor of some sort idk what would need to be stored in the bed of your truck for an extended period that cant get wet. . . . I havent had my cover rolled out over the bed more than 2 days since i started WFH in march, my small toolbox keeps the essentials dry.
In my experience, as soon as a pick-up gets a hard cover, the bed turns into a giant trunk and gets filled with various items one wouldn't want subjected to highway speeds. At least this is the case with both of my friends.

I could imagine a bike on rack of a pick-up could be not noticed if it fell off. :shrug:

I'm not fond of any racks (although I've had a Thule rack for years in case I need to haul a bike on a car). That's why I have a van.
Pickup truck for the win! :cool: When I was at the dealership buying my new truck I literally spent an hour negotiating a bed extender for the sole purpose of fitting my bike(s) without hassle.

True story- one year my wife (I think we were only married a year or two) bought me a hitch rack for Christmas. She thought it was the best gift ever, being that I was a mountain bike nut (her words, not mine). In my head I was like WTF?!? That’s why I got a pickup truck. I think I put it on once just to make her feel good. It sat in my garage unused for about 5 years. 😔

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom