Yet another tire thread...

I went ahead and ordered the Continental 4000s.

No clue if they will be "right", but I needed to poop or get off the pot. I've had great experiences with Continental on car tires and a few bike buddies really like them as well.

We'll see how they go.

ac
I've ridden them in 25c, nice quick tire for smooth roads but I'd be dodging acorns and rough stuff. What size did you get? Let us know how they work out.

I've ridden them in 25c, nice quick tire for smooth roads but I'd be dodging acorns and rough stuff. What size did you get? Let us know how they work out.

I got 28c.

I did my first ride on them Thursday. Only 10 miles, but it was during lunch so I was time limited.

I started with 105psi rear, 85psi front based on some random pressure calculator website I found online. I weigh 210 in my bday suit, maybe 215 outfitted to ride? I had no water on board.

The tires rolled great on pavement and felt pretty good. The roads were damp from rain. I hit 34mph on Green Pond Road in Rockaway. I took them up Snake Hill Road (2 miles graded gravel/dirt). The traction felt pretty good. Only got a bit of spinning in the rear as I climbed the steepest section of the road.

Like I said, no clue if these tires are "right" for me. BUT they are hugely faster and smoother than the Rapid Robs the bike came with.

ac

interesting that the Michelin Pro 4's performed so poorly in that test. I like this tire. 25c's are actually closer to 28c. Although they sound kind of "sticky" when rolling--like walking on a move theater floor.

For the Conti 4000s II lovers...how is this tire supposed to be in wet conditions? I just started riding a set of these and had to scrape myself off the pavement after sliding out on a corner one wet morning last week. Maybe I would have gone down with other tires but after a crash you start to question everything.

Anyone have an opinion on (somewhat) the reverse concept? I'm looking for a 32-38 tire that will be acceptable riding to the park then hitting some trails. I was looking at stuff like the Kenda Happy Medium/Ritchey Speedmax/Duro Ellie May, but dunno if that design is ok or hideous on the road. Basically I hate riding the mountain bike to parks because it's slow, but riding the road bike in parks is scary. So I picked up a (hammered) used disc brake steelie that I wanna go play in the wood with once I get there.
Tanks!

interesting that the Michelin Pro 4's performed so poorly in that test. I like this tire. 25c's are actually closer to 28c. Although they sound kind of "sticky" when rolling--like walking on a move theater floor.

For the Conti 4000s II lovers...how is this tire supposed to be in wet conditions? I just started riding a set of these and had to scrape myself off the pavement after sliding out on a corner one wet morning last week. Maybe I would have gone down with other tires but after a crash you start to question everything.

I feel super confident conering on the Michelins over any other tire I've tried, not that I've tried so many tires.

Anyone have an opinion on (somewhat) the reverse concept? I'm looking for a 32-38 tire that will be acceptable riding to the park then hitting some trails. I was looking at stuff like the Kenda Happy Medium/Ritchey Speedmax/Duro Ellie May, but dunno if that design is ok or hideous on the road. Basically I hate riding the mountain bike to parks because it's slow, but riding the road bike in parks is scary. So I picked up a (hammered) used disc brake steelie that I wanna go play in the wood with once I get there.
Tanks!

WTB Nano in the largest size you can fit on the bike. Fast rolling centerline tread but surprisingly capable in single track.

WTB Nano in the largest size you can fit on the bike. Fast rolling centerline tread but surprisingly capable in single track.
Sweet! Hmm, looks like it's only made in 40c. Now I gotta find a 40c to try for clearance. Thanks!

Edit: Bike came stock with 35c, seems plenty of peeps with the Furley version of the bike run 40c. Might just go for it.

Last edited:
Sweet! Hmm, looks like it's only made in 40c. Now I gotta find a 40c to try for clearance. Thanks!

Edit: Bike came stock with 35c, seems plenty of peeps with the Furley version of the bike run 40c. Might just go for it.
@jumpa has the 40's mounted if he's willing to meet the DaveExtreeeeeeme somewhere to test fit.

I "roadie" around on specialized Roubaix 30c. Super comfey at 85 psi. And I've recently had a go on the wtb nanos 40c at 35psi. Super duper plush, Might as well be mountain bike tires. Yet to ride them on single track.

Here are some reference sizes for those concerned on fit. (measure on super accurate harbor freight calipers )

20160130_212126.jpg
20160130_212204.jpg

Next to an inflated 28c tire
20160130_212927.jpg

Your welcome to try mine no prob. they are coming off the ride tonight seeing as how the snow around me is clearing up.

@jumpa has the 40's mounted if he's willing to meet the DaveExtreeeeeeme somewhere to test fit.

@1sh0t1b33r I'm gonna start telling people that they can try your Fox34 on their bikes whenever ;)

Attachments

• 20160130_212258.jpg
    20160130_212258.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 126
I "roadie" around on specialized Roubaix 30c. Super comfey at 85 psi. And I've recently had a go on the wtb nanos 40c at 35psi. Super duper plush, Might as well be mountain bike tires. Yet to ride them on single track.

Here are some reference sizes for those concerned on fit. (measure on super accurate harbor freight calipers )

View attachment 30962 View attachment 30963
Next to an inflated 28c tire
View attachment 30965

Your welcome to try mine no prob. they are coming off the ride tonight seeing as how the snow around me is clearing up.

@1sh0t1b33r I'm gonna start telling people that they can try your Fox34 on their bikes whenever ;)

I'll see if I can work out some ad hoc measurements but yes, at some point I will take you up on that. Thanks to 1Shot for offering (you)! :D
Maybe if you do short track if nothing sooner pops up?
Tanks!

Back
Top Bottom