Yet another tire thread...

avc8130

I'm just getting into "road" biking and I really could use some help on tire choice. I don't know if this is the right forum to post in, but I'll give it a shot anyways.

I'm getting a Cannondale CAADX (yes, I realize it's a "cyclecross" bike technically) and it comes with Schwalbe Rapid Rob in 700x35c. Clearly this tire is a bit much for pavement to say the least.

I'm looking for tires that will work well enough for the crappy pavement on the backroads of Sussex and Warren Counties, as well as suffice for riding rail trail and groomed dirt roads.

Suggestions?

ac

qclabrat

a tire that does both won't perform well in either uses
I think a better choice is to go with a second pair of wheels and keep dedicated road tires on them (28mm or less)
but if you are set on a do all tire, go with one marketed for touring or commuter uses, they will be heavy but will be more durable if you have concerns flatting

Dean S

I think you can get the best of both worlds.
Overbuilt commuter tires with puncture resistance layers are no fun on the road or rail trail. IME you're less likely to flat on a rail trail or some back road than out on a well traveled road anyway. A nice fat supple tire at the right pressure should not snake bite. The sidewalls may be a little vulnerable to a sharp rock hit but IME that does not happen often. Increased weight & wind resistance of a fat supple road tire make little difference if not racing.

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'd pick anything from a 30-35 for rough roads so you can run lower pressures than a narrow road slick and still roll well. If it's mostly crappy pavement and dirt roads (not singletrack), an inverted tread pattern like on the Schwalbe Big Apple or Serfas Drifter would be what I'd look for.

avc8130

My dream theory is to ride roads from the driveway to rail trails and the dirt roads around the Delaware Recreation Area so I need something that will work well enough on both.

No singletrack, at the moment I have MTB's for that. If I go that route, the Rapid Robs the bike will come with can get slipped back on.

Dean S

I love doing the kind of rides you have planned. You could not pay me to ride a tire w/ a puncture belt, it is just not needed, especially far off the beaten path where you will be. You also dont really need much or any tread/knobs. I climb super steep gravel roads all the time on fat road tires and seldom slip. I don't think you would be disappointed in the Panracer Pasela in 35c(without the TourGuard puncture protection) http://harriscyclery.net/product/pa...0c-tire-wire-bead-black-tan-sidewall-1730.htm
If you wanna really fly & glide these are a couple of ticks faster & more comfortable and way more expensive: https://www.compasscycle.com/shop/components/tires/700c/compass-700cx35-bon-jon-pass/
If you can still find Vittoria Randonneur tires without puncture protections, they are a pretty nice mixed terrain tire too.

alex_k

Clement Cycling X'PLOR USH is an amazing tire for paved and unpaved roads. I have them on my rain/winter bike. I run 120tpi versions, 40 psi on backroads and 65 psi for paved. They are still in great condition after 2,5K miles.

clxou3-1.jpg

Last edited:

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
take a look at rlb's link.

i personally think you could get away with the 4 seasons. i ride dirt/gravel roads with them and they hold up great. if not how about the ritchey speedmax.

The Kalmyk

take a look at rlb's link.

i personally think you could get away with the 4 seasons. i ride dirt/gravel roads with them and they hold up great. if not how about the ritchey speedmax.

I use Speedmax 40c tires for winter. Fucking great tire for the price. A bit weighty

The Kalmyk

holy hell those are wide,

Yeah man. I love em like that. My road rides include off road cut thrus , parks or fields. I look for any off road opportunity I can get.m

When I lived in Neptune I would hit Shark River Park then Manasquan Reservoir then Turkey Swamp then Allaire on the way back. I loved that loop.

That could be done on skinnier tires but just not as comfy

RobW

Yeah man. I love em like that. My road rides include off road cut thrus , parks or fields. I look for any off road opportunity I can get.m

When I lived in Neptune I would hit Shark River Park then Manasquan Reservoir then Turkey Swamp then Allaire on the way back. I loved that loop.

That could be done on skinnier tires but just not as comfy
this would be one of the main reasons I would leave Hartshorne area and move down this way. plenty of gravel and back roads that lead from park to park that I want to ride on the cross bike.

avc8130

I went ahead and ordered the Continental 4000s.

No clue if they will be "right", but I needed to poop or get off the pot. I've had great experiences with Continental on car tires and a few bike buddies really like them as well.

We'll see how they go.

ac

Top Bottom