Yet another loop question.

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
We rode up there Sunday...and it was not a major success. We rode up Beach Glen from the batcave lot until the washed out fire road. We cut up that to the white, then to Hawk Watch. We took White back down (and up), then made the horrible decision to split onto Blue, which is not mtb-friendly for the most part except the top. After a lot of hike-a-bike, we found Green and got the hell outta there.

A good portion of White from Hawk Watch is unrideable for an average (me) rider. Blue was fun on top of the hill from White, but after that it's just rocks. We meant to ride back down Orange but never made it over there. Any ideas? I kinda see potential in the place, I grew up around here, live close by, and we used to dirty bike up Split Rock, so oddly I WANT to like it!

Ideas? I do have a Garmin and noticed graveyardman67 has posted some loops, but I'm too dumb to figure out how to make the stupid thing follow it. Manny's video review has inspired me though.
Thanks!

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Dave, what garmin do you have? If you have a 705 or an 800, getting a map up on the screen is pretty straight forward.

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Dave, what garmin do you have? If you have a 705 or an 800, getting a map up on the screen is pretty straight forward.

It's an 800...I tried it at Mahlon, downloaded a course, and when I attepted to start navigation it said it couldn't. I think (it was a bit ago) the Garmin was trying to do turn by turn and since it had no reference in the middle of the woods, nada.

I don't have a base topo map loaded but I do have GTlukes park map set. I imagine I'm just doing something wrong?
Thanks!

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Dont use the navigation feature, its useless off road. Simple way is to go to bill's garmin link on garmin connect, then hit "send to device". Then turn on your garmin, go to courses and select that file. When it asks you to if you want to navigate to the beginning of the course, hit No. Then swipe over to the map view, you will probably have to zoom in. there are better ways, but this is a simple one...try this first.

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Dont use the navigation feature, its useless off road. Simple way is to go to bill's garmin link on garmin connect, then hit "send to device". Then turn on your garmin, go to courses and select that file. When it asks you to if you want to navigate to the beginning of the course, hit No. Then swipe over to the map view, you will probably have to zoom in. there are better ways, but this is a simple one...try this first.

Ok, cool. So I'm not navigating per se with it, just following Bill's dotted line? I know what you mean about the zoom, it can be pretty small.
Thank you.;)

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Ok, cool. So I'm not navigating per se with it, just following Bill's dotted line? I know what you mean about the zoom, it can be pretty small.
Thank you.;)

yup, look at the line on the map and just stay on it. Careful if you zoom in really close as the line will usually not be perfect and it will look like you are off course.

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
yup, look at the line on the map and just stay on it. Careful if you zoom in really close as the line will usually not be perfect and it will look like you are off course.

Alright, I'll play with it a bit. Thanks very much for the advice!

Blk06CompIRL

your loop sounded very similar to mine and i had a blast doing it, i just dont know the names just colors. Bat cave lot -> Orange -> hawk watch -> white -> fire road -> Blue -> Lot . Fire road was a bit ridiculous but there was a bail out for the worst section lol Kinda happy someone else had to walk parts of it lol i wanna ride here again at next opportune time.

mtbiker38

your loop sounded very similar to mine and i had a blast doing it, i just dont know the names just colors. Bat cave lot -> Orange -> hawk watch -> white -> fire road -> Blue -> Lot . Fire road was a bit ridiculous but there was a bail out for the worst section lol Kinda happy someone else had to walk parts of it lol i wanna ride here again at next opportune time.

Dave lets take Blk06comp the way we went

Blk06CompIRL

Dave lets take Blk06comp the way we went

Why in the world would you want to do that again? I'm just about healed up...:cry:
Plus Jason is a good guy. Just wouldn't be right.:D

HAHA really curious to see where you guys ventured off too. I am going hiking here saturday not sure route but bat cave to hawk watch. ill keep an eye out for the trail names you listed to see if i can fallow lol. Im always up for a little abuse though haha

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
HAHA really curious to see where you guys ventured off too. I am going hiking here saturday not sure route but bat cave to hawk watch. ill keep an eye out for the trail names you listed to see if i can fallow lol. Im always up for a little abuse though haha

Oh hiking, the trails we were on would be fine. Hiking while carrying a thirty pound bike...different story. We joked it was like cyclecross, only stupid.:eek:
Actually the (i think light) blue trail from white to green that goes across Beaver Brook is cool, a fun rocky stream crossing too. Might be a little far out of your way on foot though.

Blk06CompIRL

Oh hiking, the trails we were on would be fine. Hiking while carrying a thirty pound bike...different story. We joked it was like cyclecross, only stupid.:eek:
Actually the (i think light) blue trail from white to green that goes across Beaver Brook is cool, a fun rocky stream crossing too. Might be a little far out of your way on foot though.

Dont bring a back pack, strap your bike to your back instead. Then you can experience what we went through.

haha the route that i mentioned i biked, im only hiking this time to show the GF the hawk watch (def a nicer outlook of the ones ive seen) and she would not be up for that kind of route on a bike lol. So yes i will visually inspect what you guys did and then figure how it would be like with the bike. lol i also dont mind hike a bike trails its a good work out and still fun. will have to see if its worse then where this one guy took me at high mountain lol and i had a really fun hike a bike at mahlon south on part of the highlands with stream crossings and large rock faces lol

Last edited:

graveyardman67

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Go onto garminconnect and explore:
keyword - wildcat
starting near - 07866
date - last 365 days
display name - wjchristman

There are 20+ rides from me tha range from 6 to 40 miles. I will say that the blue in the brook valley for the most part is really advanced. You can get some more blue sweetness when going up the newly marked green (on your right). But again it's start off relatively tame but will require some mid air acrobatics if you want to ride the entire trail.

Also, my book of donot's for less than advanced includes white from the hawk watch heading back towards bat cave.

Do's are hitting up the trails on the other side of Green Pond. I find these fun with a good DH to connect and it can be configured to throw in an easy dirt road slight downhill with a M-F'er of climb back in the single track.

All the rides I have on GC have been entirely ridden (less the blue stream crossing). Some spots I DO NOT clear everytime - thats why I love this place. The raw aspect makes you find ways to clean stuff; nothing is ever automatic - game on every time.

When you follow the tracks, zoom in, there are a few little offshoots on yellow that are techincal treats. Easy to miss but great features.

We'll be hitting it up on Saturday, probably about 25-30 miles. May head out towards Rt 23 - some really bitchin stuff out there and amazing views above Rt 23 and charlotteburg resevoir. this http://connect.garmin.com/activity/98302497 . Our pace is just below race endurance speed (8 to 10 mph) - we like fast.

Last edited:

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Go onto garminconnect and explore:
keyword - wildcat
starting near - 07866
date - last 365 days
display name - wjchristman

Do's are hitting up the trails on the other side of Green Pond. I find these fun with a good DH to connect and it can be configured to throw in an easy dirt road slight downhill with a M-F'er of climb back in the single track.

When you follow the tracks, zoom in, there are a few little offshoots on yellow that are techincal treats. Easy to miss but great features.

this http://connect.garmin.com/activity/98302497 . Our pace is just below race endurance speed (8 to 10 mph) - we like fast.

Thanks Bill!
I'm looking at this one (cause you labelled it fun:D): http://connect.garmin.com/activity/165677464
Which looks like Beach Glen, to Green, to Yellow, then to Hawk Watch and...Orange or White down. Hard to tell that from the track.
Which way do you ride it, clockwise or counter?
Thanks again.

Double edit:
A. Appreciate the offer, but work saturdays. Could barely keep up anyway.
B. We said on Sunday we'd pay to see a rider clean some of what we hit. Wanna earn twenty bucks one day? :D

Last edited:

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions