XT vs Level TL brakes

bucknejo

Running XT MT785 brakes on my HT but guides on my FS. Each time I go back to riding the HT from FS I feel like the XT’s are just too grabby with no modulation.

is there a hack to get the XTs to modulate more like the guides or should I consider the level TL?

no, setting the brakes or the bike on fire is an option. and neither is getting a new bike.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Easiest solution is get a set of sram for it. Idk that there's another option

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Will let you know soon, mounting xt’s tomorrow. 4 piston up front, 2 piston rear.

serviceguy

No experience with anything other than Shimano, but both my 4 pistons BR-M8020 and my BR-M785 work perfectly stopping my not exactly feather light body and never overheated or faded, nor were too grabby. I maybe just be too slow though.

Last edited:

Karate Monkey

Like complaining that the brakes in an unloaded cargo van are grabby compared to a base Civic. That's just how they feel.

The servo-wave action is aggressive to leave tons of room for pad clearance compared to, say, those SRAM brakes. They feel 'on-off', but both sets of brakes develop their full braking power in pretty much the same spot. Granted, that means that lightly dragging your brake is harder, but you shouldn't be doing that anyway. Once you know where the cam-over point is, the adjustment is easy.

Alternative: install a brake lever that is compatible with the caliper, but doesn't have servo-wave. That would mean T6000 or T8000--the trekking groups. To make up for the loss of power from the cam, they use a "three-finger" design for the lever.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
ride a set of Hopes with adjustable reach and bite point contact.
they adjust with thumb knobs, so easy on-the-fly change - great when wearing different gloves.
Premium price - premium brakes.

i'm running tech 3 x2 on two of my bikes, and level tlm on the fatbike.
The downside is the hope/sram or shimano interface isn't as adjustable.
it is a bit of a reach to the shifter, as i run the brakes way inboard, and rolled up.
Gotten accustom to it tho.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
i've never seen this - both brake levers on one side?

1585490434313.png

JDurk

i've never seen this - both brake levers on one side?

View attachment 123442
Saw them awhile ago on a Hope social media page. There is a SJ/DE area rider that has a prosthetic arm and has been riding like that for many years with both brakes on 1 side.

Captain Brainstorm

Best thing I did was upgrade to 4-piston XT front and rear, and 203/180mm rotors front/rear. Braking is now a transparent activity, it basically happens as it should without drawing attention or any thought. Unless I experience sudden braking, usually a result of hitting a fixed object.

Top Bottom