XT/SLX Compatablilty?

Mike679

So I have a new SLX cassette and a new XT Chain. Put both on the bike, pedaled and shifted OK on the stand. Rode it around the driveway and it was really rough and noisy. Question is - are the SLX cassette and the XT chain compatable, or should I have gotten an LX chain?

That said, my middle ring is a couple of years old and probably can stand a replacement, so that may also be a factor.

Any thoughts?

Mike

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
So I have a new SLX cassette and a new XT Chain. Put both on the bike, pedaled and shifted OK on the stand. Rode it around the driveway and it was really rough and noisy. Question is - are the SLX cassette and the XT chain compatable, or should I have gotten an LX chain?

That said, my middle ring is a couple of years old and probably can stand a replacement, so that may also be a factor.

Any thoughts?

Mike

They are compatible. How is it in the big ring or granny?

Mike679

It ain't exactly great on the little ring (also rather old), and I run a bash guard, so no big ring. There's also a bit of slop in my bottom bracket (actually a lot of slop - gotta get a new one of those), so that could be a contributing factor as well.

Put the old cassette and chain back on for now so I can ride this weekend, but will likely drop some addtional $ for a new bottom bracket and chain rings.

alex_k

I think it is perfectly normal. Your cassette and chain need few hours for break in.

I'd replace a chain ring only if it is really bad and causes chain skip.

Top Bottom