XT 1x11 Drivetrain Compatibility with 11sp SRAM Chain

Mr.Moto

Works fine. I like the Sram chains for the quick link so I pretty much use it on all my drivetrains.

DargSide

Both my bikes have a XT drivetrain and I'm using shimano chains with KMC missing links, no issues...

I prefer to use the pin on a fresh chain, and carry the missing links in my pack, I feel like a regular link is sturdier than the quick links

Rdoonz

I prefer to use the pin on a fresh chain, and carry the missing links in my pack, I feel like a regular link is sturdier than the quick links
I've ridden thousands of miles on bikes. All of my chains have had KMC missing links. I broke a chain once. The chain broke at one of the regular links, missing link was fine.

onetracker

Thanks for all of the comments. I will get those fancy pliers. I have been using a regular pair of pliers on edge across the two halves of the power link which is tricky. I like the old 9spd chains which you could split the link by hand.

rottin'

Staff member
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Oh, and if you're using the "missing link" style, do yourself a huge favor and buy yourself a proper set of pliers to install and remove the link. Trust me, they are worth every penny...

https://www.amazon.com/Park-Tool-Ma...486581930&sr=8-2&keywords=missing+link+pliers
So glad you put this up...for the last 4 years every time I swapped/cleaned chains etc I would fight for a while getting the link apart, and each time would tell myself "you need to order the pliers" . Fast forward to the next time I'm working on my chain and I say, "Shit, I forgot to order those pliers...I need to order them." Months go by....Working on chain,"SHIT! SHIT! SHIT!...I forgot to order those GD pliers. I need to order those pliers!" Still forgot...this cycle repeated itself for about 4 years...

Came home last night and ordered those pliers...Appreciate the PSA :)

viper8315

So glad you put this up...for the last 4 years every time I swapped/cleaned chains etc I would fight for a while getting the link apart, and each time would tell myself "you need to order the pliers" . Fast forward to the next time I'm working on my chain and I say, "Shit, I forgot to order those pliers...I need to order them." Months go by....Working on chain,"SHIT! SHIT! SHIT!...I forgot to order those GD pliers. I need to order those pliers!" Still forgot...this cycle repeated itself for about 4 years...

Came home last night and ordered those pliers...Appreciate the PSA :)

You're welcome dude. While it is possible to do it without the pliers, it makes the job a heck of a lot easier with them. Happy trails my friend...

icolquhoun

for what it's worth, you DIY types can fashion those pliers, like I did, from and old pair of needlenose/circlip pliers laying around and 2 minutes on a bench grinder ;)

RSAmerica

The only chain my son & myself ever broke running 1X are KMC, other then back in the 3X day.

We only run SRAM XX1 chain because we ride SRAM XG-1199 10-42 cassettes with XTR or XX1 shifter & derailleur (we do not mix S&D species).

Last edited:

Dingo

for what it's worth, you DIY types can fashion those pliers, like I did, from and old pair of needlenose/circlip pliers laying around and 2 minutes on a bench grinder ;)

"Bench Grinder" like a millennial will have one, or even know.....

Top Bottom