xd driver puked its pawls... better choices?

jerseyjeffr

My son went out for some socially distancing responsible riding at Lewis morris park this am, and at about 1030 I got a video of him being able to spin the pedals both ways and not get any wheel movement. Lucky for him, he parked at the bottom and so he rode a very expensive scooter down, and then came back to the ranch.
The cogs did not catch either way, and as luck would have it I happen to have a chain whip and cassette tool.
We opened it up found gray schmoo (moly grease maybe) and a bunch of metal bits. It looks like the tips of the pawls sheared off. I am reminded of a carbide circular saw blade after finding a nail.
It looks like the inside of the hub is ok, and the driver took the bulk of the damage. the driver has 3 pairs of pawls that engage the hub, and I was wondering if there is a better driver body, with more pawls, or just better than SRAM for us to replace with. He is about 175LBS but rides hard. We built a wooden gap jump for him in the back yard.

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Drivers are usually manufacturer dependent, so you can't really swap around and upgrade. I had something similar happen to by non-xd Chameleon on Novatec hubs. The design of the hub I have requires the axle to be tightened from each side with spanner wrenches. It worked itself free and outwards, so only the edges of the pawls were touching and shredded some metal. I ended up needing a free hub body and ratchet ring as both were shot, then I made sure to Locktite the axle to prevent it from happening.

Anyway, maintenance is key. Just keep an eye on it when you replace it, depending on the hub design.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
XD is just a standard of cassette, the brand of hub is what you'd be looking to swap out. Most of the time the freehub body goes because the inner bearing blows out and starts making a mess of the rest of the hub.

jerseyjeffr

hmmm... it has been a very long time that I have peered behind a freewheel (I had bullseye hubs) I think the bearings look good but not sure, so I am planning on bringing it into the LBS on Monday. I was really surprised at seeing only 3 sets of pawls for engagement!

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
1590970974055.gif

jerseyjeffr

That may be the best option. The LBS (Jays in Westfield) Informed him that he destroyed ALL three sets of pawls at the same time. The kids rides the bike like he stole it, so I am not really surprised.

Top Bottom