XC-Ski thread

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I am putting together a thread to ID the XC skiers and skiing background. This season has been good for XC, I've gotten to the local golf course about 5times this year and condtions have been decent.
Sooo lets hear from you, eventually I'd like to get together with some MTBNJ folks for a group tour at a destination to be determined(somewhere in NJ):D.
I'll go first

What's your setup(s)?: Madshus Lillehammer no wax touring ski(52-47-50). Rottefella NNN touring binding. Rossignol NNN touring boot. Poles.

Where do you XC? Local golf course down the street. I have been to High Point NJ as well as VT.

What's your Style?(traditional/skate or something else I've never heard of)
I am traditional.

Years of experience/ability level? I started about 4yrs. ago and consider myself an Intermdiate skier.

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
I started on fisher 3 pins in the 70's. Now I'm on NNN, and RosX7 boots. Karhu no wax 60/52/67. I also have skate skis that don't get much action because of the logistics of getting to groomed tracks.

Ski mostly Harriman, Wawayanda and Minniwaska. Also some golf courses and streets when it works. I've skied Trapp Family Lodge, assorted nordic centers, Glacier and Teton National Parks, but my best memories are usually local adventures.

I started skiing 47 years ago on my front lawn. Then was dragged to the mountain at the age of 4, where I was expected to get my arms pulled out, or my wool mittens ripped off my hands by an evil rope. After years of whining, I finally found alpine skiing enjoyable and eventually it became my main sport. XC was started in my teens as a second sport, thanks to my BF. I don't do it a lot, but it's always there, and the equipment is less important to keep up with. These days, I do more more XC, and would only consider myself intermediate on XC. :hmmm:

Last edited:

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
Why not?... tell us your story

well.. I have a billion hobbies and I live in central NJ. When I lived in Maine I had 180K of groomed skate skiing trails that were walking distance from my place.

At the time I was working at the Bangor Ski rack and they had all kinds of Demo gear that I would use.

If I lived in a climate where it was going on I would be doing it all the time.

I do rent some gear once or twice a year while traveling for snowboarding. It is a great way to loosen up between powder days.

j

de00304

I'm a Pinhead...

I have 2 main setups. For kicking, I have an ancient pair of double camber waxless 210 Karhu's. I ran these with 3 pin bindings and leather Merril's until a few years ago when I switched out for BC NNN bindings and Rossi BC boots. These aren't quite as capable as the tele stuff, but probably 90% so and way more convienent and comfortable, so I like it.

The other setup is strickly downhill orientated, with 185 length Atomic shaped tele ski's, raised tele binding, and T2 boots. I also have some older 205 length Tua Cirque single camber waxed tele skis that I dont use much anymore. I have used these with skins for backcountry in the past, but not for a while now.

When there is enough snow, I will go out and kick (and hopefully get in a few well earned turns) on the mtn bike trails in LewMO, Mahlon, Allamuchy, etc, or head out to High Point on occasion.

My style is tele. I came at this out of boredom with downhill skiing back in the 70's, when I decided to try and learn to tele. I spent two painful frustrating years alternating between downhill in the morning, tele in the afternoon until I finally figured out how to tele.

I havent put on downhill skis in 30+ years now...

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I have 2 main setups. For kicking, I have an ancient pair of double camber waxless 210 Karhu's. I ran these with 3 pin bindings and leather Merril's until a few years ago when I switched out for BC NNN bindings and Rossi BC boots. These aren't quite as capable as the tele stuff, but probably 90% so and way more convienent and comfortable, so I like it.

The other setup is strickly downhill orientated, with 185 length Atomic shaped tele ski's, raised tele binding, and T2 boots. I also have some older 205 length Tua Cirque single camber waxed tele skis that I dont use much anymore. I have used these with skins for backcountry in the past, but not for a while now.

When there is enough snow, I will go out and kick (and hopefully get in a few well earned turns) on the mtn bike trails in LewMO, Mahlon, Allamuchy, etc, or head out to High Point on occasion.

My style is tele. I came at this out of boredom with downhill skiing back in the 70's, when I decided to try and learn to tele. I spent two painful frustrating years alternating between downhill in the morning, tele in the afternoon until I finally figured out how to tele.

I havent put on downhill skis in 30+ years now...

I tele as well, for much of the same reasons as you, boredom from downhill.
I started 3yrs. ago and love it even though I am a struggling intermediate on tele's.
Sounds like you prefer BC stuff over flat-land kick & glide XC. Did you grow up in NJ? Where'd you learn to ski

jkmacman

Complete Nonsense
X. C.

my 3-whole binding x-c skis are still in my dad's basement. this year i bought a new set with the new style binding. i been out 4 times. one time i did a nice 6 mile loop at ringwood.

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/7317505

it's been about 20 years since i did x-c (prior to this season) i been out four times already, and would be happy to go 4 times more, i bought the ski set, in hopes to do a winter tri. now it seems the winter tri i'll attempt (pine hill/bellayre, ny) is really for downhill skiing, back in the day i did some downhill at bellare ( my sibling lives there ), it will be difficult to go downhill on the x.c., with everyone zipping by
on the mtn bike trails in LewMO,
would that be doable this week-end?

Last edited:

de00304

I tele as well, for much of the same reasons as you, boredom from downhill.
I started 3yrs. ago and love it even though I am a struggling intermediate on tele's.
Sounds like you prefer BC stuff over flat-land kick & glide XC. Did you grow up in NJ? Where'd you learn to ski

Yup, I grew up in NJ. I learned to downhill ski in the east. I came to it late, and learned via lots of days at Hunter and Vt while in my early 20's. I got interested in BC when I first went to Tuckerman's with my downhill's in my mid 20's in 1982. Did Tuck's every year for about 10 years (latter years on tele's and winter camping in the Gulf of Slides), but haven't been there in a while.

BC for me around here really means a slow trudge up the trails, followed by a handful of sweet, ugly gorilla tele turns down the hills, all the while hopefully not catching a ski on the stuff buried under the snow or crashing into a tree trying to get the big double-camber Karhu's to turn. Sounds like fun, huh? ;)

jkmacman, I dont think LewMo has enough cover now. The flats and the uphills would probably be ok, but trying to tele turn while going downhill without enough cover is usually not too much fun. However, if folks want to give it a try, I could be talked into it, although I would say lets go farther north (mahlon maybe?) where there is likely to be a little more cover...

hardtale70

She's Gone From Suck to Blow
Shop Keep
All i know is my skis are evil lookin, black, Rossi and 165 w/ metal edges.I ski everywhere that i mtb and have never seen any other track that looks like mine, so i guess I'm some freak style............

THATmanMANNY

XC ski set up?

I'm strictly a boarder but I may sell out... if I wanted to get set up with XC ski how do I do such? Are they different from normal skis? Bindings, etc? Lengths? I may grab some skis to do some XC since I live right next to preserved area (NO BIKING THO! which I respect) and a golf course. This year so far seems to be great to be out doing such an activity. For some reason I am kinda turned off by paying for lifts up the mtn this year :hmmm: I think it's cause I realize I can just go bike for free in the woods :D

trailhead

JORBA: Wildcat/Splitrock
JORBA.ORG
Been XCing for about 15 years but would say that we are still Intermediate level. Style has remained traditional. We have Kharu wide type , NNN bindings and nice warm touring boots. Planning a trip to Garnet Hill Feb. 8-10. Would be great to hook up with some Jersey riders up there. This place is great, lots of trails, burn cals by day, put them back on at night.

http://www.garnet-hill.com/

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
BC for me around here really means a slow trudge up the trails, followed by a handful of sweet, ugly gorilla tele turns down the hills, all the while hopefully not catching a ski on the stuff buried under the snow or crashing into a tree trying to get the big double-camber Karhu's to turn. Sounds like fun, huh? ;)

jkmacman, I dont think LewMo has enough cover now. The flats and the uphills would probably be ok, but trying to tele turn while going downhill without enough cover is usually not too much fun. However, if folks want to give it a try, I could be talked into it, although I would say lets go farther north (mahlon maybe?) where there is likely to be a little more cover...

With the fresh pow we got yesterday I went to local golf course tonight and XC was awesome. There was good cover and have been getting brave on some of the downhills. My ski's don't have enough side-cut to throw down a tele-turn but it is fun to hop&glide on the downhills with my skis.
Mahlon use to have a ski mountain over there near the school back in the day. I've never been there but have heard after a good snow the old hill is ski-able:hmmm:

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Been XCing for about 15 years but would say that we are still Intermediate level. Style has remained traditional. We have Kharu wide type , NNN bindings and nice warm touring boots. Planning a trip to Garnet Hill Feb. 8-10. Would be great to hook up with some Jersey riders up there. This place is great, lots of trails, burn cals by day, put them back on at night.

http://www.garnet-hill.com/

One of these days I'd like to get up there, sounds like an amazing place to XC-ski.

Panhead

I've gone once on rentals and really liked it. I'm thinking of getting a pair, but I'm not sure on what type to get but I'm leaning to back country. What is everyone else using?

hardtale70

She's Gone From Suck to Blow
Shop Keep
I've gone once on rentals and really liked it. I'm thinking of getting a pair, but I'm not sure on what type to get but I'm leaning to back country. What is everyone else using?

Make sure you get metal edges! BC all the way. BTW i'm an idiot my skis are 175s:eek:

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
. if I wanted to get set up with XC ski how do I do such? Are they different from normal skis? Bindings, etc? Lengths?

yeh, I was wondering bout that. I'm 5'3 and use 177's.

Like bikes XC skis come in different styles. Skate skis/traditional touring/back country. Starting out the easiest to learn is the traditional touring style. The skis are thinner, lighter and not equipped with metal edges like alpine down hill skis. The boots are also less restrictive than alpine boots and the binding simply attach's to the boot at the front. Different manufacters spec different lengths based on your weight. In general the lengths of touring skis has decreased, following the similiar trend of alpine skis. Variations of touring skis allow for strictly skiing on groomed trails to skiing at the local golf course where there are no groomed trails. There is a groomed trail in High Point NJ, they basically groom the snow than set tracks down for you to ski in.

Back Country XC skis are a heavy duty version of touring skis with metal edges but don't have the heft of alpine boards. In general they are shorter than touring skis.The boots and bindings are similiar to touring but more supportive to allow for down hill descents. There are variations of BC skis as well, but basically the bigger you go the steeper terrain you can handle(think adirondacks,VT, or places out west)

Dave if your interested in BC skis I would lean in the direction of going for a versitile ski you could also use at a golf course/park/groomed tracks. If we got more snow cover in NJ than beefy BC ski's would work out but we don't get enough snow. Skis with these approx.dimesions fit this bill: 65/53/60.
Rossignol BC 65, Karhu Solstice. You can find older models used but just look for the above dimensions as a guide. In a perfect world you'd have a light touring set-up and a serious BC set-up.

The following places have good XC selections.
http://www.orscrosscountryskisdirect.com/
http://www.rei.com/category/40004009
http://www.backcountry.com/store/subcat/14/Cross-Country-Skiing.html

Panhead

In a perfect world you'd have a light touring set-up and a serious BC set-up.

It just takes some time.

Thanks for the info. How much snow cover is needed for true BC compared to XC? I don't want to bore you guys with other questions about edges and bindings and ploes that I'm to lazy to look up right now.

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
My take, and I'm no expert, is that it is important to find a ski size that is designed for your weight so that you have kick (grip under the foot to propel you forward). Touring skis are faster and BC have more control in rugged terrain, sorta like a XC bike and a trail bike. If you plan to explore your local trails, and you are new to skiing, a BC may be your best bet. If you plan to go only to touring centers, and like to go fast, touring skis may be best. Many of my friends are more comfortable with the stability of BC, and they they tend to fall behind in the group from those with touring skis.

I went for a compromise, with a narrow metal edge BC ski with touring bindings and boots. Hope that helps.

Top Bottom