XC race bike upgrades

mattsrabbit

Hey folks, so with all the Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals pouring in I'm looking to do some small upgrades to my hardtail XC bike. Sadly I can't afford to buy a new FS bike so smaller changes to help me be competitive is all I can afford.

I'm going to upgrade my chain/cassette/ring so I'm wondering what gear ratios you 11 speed folks are riding???

thx!

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
30x10/42 on my HT. Need an XD Driver for the 10t, otherwise 11 on standard SRAM/Shimano .

mattsrabbit

@Paul H I'm riding a 27.5 Kona Blast Hardtail with a Raidon 13mm XC fork. Currently set up 1x11 with a mix of XT and SLX. I've done some H2H and hope to do some MASS racing in the spring. I believe my current ratio is 30x11/42 but not sure if I should change that up. Guessing the most technical courses i've been comfortable with has been Bulldog Romp, but not so sure about Ringwood considering my current setup

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
32x11/42 on the 29r ht
32x10/46 on the b+ fs
30x11/42 on the fatbike

choop

34 or 36x50 on the Epic depending on course and my fitness.
My hard tail was 34x42.

I think 32x42 is a good bet for everything

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
You could peep the E*Thirteen TRS+cassettes, which you can get a 9/46 range if you have an XD driver. So you can bump to a 32 still have the lower range.

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Stan's Podium wheels and Schwalbe Racing Ralphs will make you fast.

mattsrabbit

All good ideas.. I wonder if my XT hubs can be swapped for a 12 or 13 speed driver? Though it's QR so maybe not?

And @Magic I like my Stan's Arch's with Ardents for racing though I'm considering going a bit wider to handle the rocks of Northern NJ

RickVaughn

i ran a 11-40 with a 32T ring on my hardtail. got me through ringwood just fine. ask @Mr.Moto

your setup is fine. if you don't have a dropper, get a dropper. i built up a hardtail from a base specialized so i know all about compatibility. if you absolutely need to spend money on performance, i wouldn't go gears. maybe brakes or new tires? those make a big difference. that and a higher engagement hub but that's a pricey upgrade

also, im probably heading out tomorrow at 1/2pm to high mountain if you're around.

Mr.Moto

XT / SLX is decent stuff. Gearing sounds about right. I would ride that for now unless your really itching to upgrade.

Dropping rotational weight or putting on a quality fork might be the other areas to consider.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
All good ideas.. I wonder if my XT hubs can be swapped for a 12 or 13 speed driver? Though it's QR so maybe not?

And @Magic I like my Stan's Arch's with Ardents for racing though I'm considering going a bit wider to handle the rocks of Northern NJ

For xc racing, the Crest is the best non carbon wheel I’ve ridden. If you don’t want to change wheels, tires are an easy upgrade.
Ralph’s / Rays combo, ardent race, icons, etc. They aren’t super durable but if you can ride them smooth and away from sharp rocks, they’re the way to go. The difference in race tires vs non race tires is really noticeable. Not to get geeky but you’re talking about lots of watts, when translates to more energy, which means faster.
For gearing, If you’re a Clydesdale, get that 50t eagle in the back.
Otherwise a 40 or 42 in the back is enough. You can always go as low as 28-30 in the front to go lower.
People always like to talk about how high a gear they run but in my experience having a low (easier) gear is way more useful than a high (harder/ faster) gear. Think of the times you’re in the easiest gear, but still clicking your shifter looking for an easier gear, dying on a climb. Then compare that to how often you’re on a downhill spinning out looking for a higher gear. I know where I find myself more often. ?

qclabrat

XT / SLX is decent stuff. Gearing sounds about right. I would ride that for now unless your really itching to upgrade.

Dropping rotational weight or putting on a quality fork might be the other areas to consider.
I agree, though a new set of light qr wheels seems like money not well spent

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad

Probably not on the xt hubs. Shimano 12 speed uses a different free hub body and I have not see where they are backwards compatible. Like others have said, the sram NX cassette uses the free hub body you currently have.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
Best bang for your buck. If you drink alcohol, quit. Then, watch your diet. I don’t mean drink weight loss shakes...that’s dumb and won’t last. Be smart, cut some calories here and there, substitute veggies and fruit in place of doritos and pretzels. Next, lighten up that bike. Carbon cranks, wheels, seatpost and bars. Run maxxis exo/tr aspens and leave your tools/tube at the car for more weight savings.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
You can get one of these for about $100 on Craigslist.

41Qj3SBT3cL._SX425_.jpg

JDurk

Best bang for your buck. If you drink alcohol, quit. Then, watch your diet. I don’t mean drink weight loss shakes...that’s dumb and won’t last. Be smart, cut some calories here and there, substitute veggies and fruit in place of doritos and pretzels. Next, lighten up that bike. Carbon cranks, wheels, seatpost and bars. Run maxxis exo/tr aspens and leave your tools/tube at the car for more weight savings.
You left out strip off the cassette and shifter to make it a SS.

Top Bottom