WTB: Studded fat bike tires

pfft. little tires. 250/4.2 vs 175/4.8 - even worse looking at cost per inch.

I need to put the barbegazis on mine. Ol' jumbo jim is looking tired.

how about you go smaller/cheaper and add this

https://www.slipnottraction.com/

View attachment 109451
I can hear the conversation with the bike shop mechanic now:
Customer: my bike is making a clicking sound.
Mechanic: your rear triangle is eaten almost all the way through.
Customer: that's a warranty issue, right?
Mechanic: no, it almost looks like you tried to run chains on the tires.
Customer: nope, I was just riding along and it happened. Can you fix it? I need it by this afternoon.

I saw studded 4.8" snowshoe XLs for $120 with free shipping. And if you really want to roll the dice, there are some 4" studded Arisun Sharktooths for around $80 a pop. I've no experience with either of these tires so no idea if they are any good.

I ran d4 studded tires last winter, and ran d5 without studs the 2 winters prior. I was happy with both sets. I went to the studded after going down hard on some freeze/thaw ice, and they were inexpensive used.

I know studs aren't "necessary" in NJ, but they sure are nice to have with the patchy ice we get.

Yes...studs are necessary in NJ.
And in PA too ;-)
My new Minions arrived today, so I've got old Minions. How much money/beer do you want to do this for me? How long will the screws stay in if I also ride them on rocks?
lol. The key is to insert the screws into the lugs (Not the voids) with only a small amount (1-2mm) sticking out. Otherwise they will be too long and will rip out of the tires. I’ve ridden mine at Wawayanda on the rocky sections with spotty ice/snow coverage with no issues with tearing out. However they don’t grip on rock surfaces so you actually want to aim for the ice ice baby.

Last edited:
This is a shot from last winter at Wawayanda on Double Pond, heading away from the campground. Lumpy solid ice. Zoom in on the tires, in which you’ll see two rows of studs (screws). This equates to roughly 100 screws per tire only and I was able to ride this with zero slip. Point being, you don’t need too much more than this. I have 29 x 2.1 Nokians too with 296 studs and never found the side lug studs to be of any meaningful use since you always want to ride ice with as little sideways lean as possible
4B801F2E-1B7B-4644-A248-DC2900B2FE6E.jpeg

And in PA too ;-)

lol. The key is to insert the screws into the lugs (Not the voids) with only a small amount (1-2mm) sticking out. Otherwise they will be too long and will rip out of the tires. I’ve ridden mine at Wawayanda on the rocky sections with spotty ice/snow coverage with no issues with tearing out. However they don’t grip on rock surfaces so you actually want to aim for the ice ice baby.

you are talking about screwing them in from the inside out? - i realize screws are cheap, but actual studs that go into the "stud ready" tires are not that much.
$25/100 - why not go that way?

https://smile.amazon.com/Marrkey-Ca...933R8JQAV0S&psc=1&refRID=P6MA8YTCQ933R8JQAV0S

i see others that are more than twice as much - ?

you are talking about screwing them in from the inside out? - i realize screws are cheap, but actual studs that go into the "stud ready" tires are not that much.

https://smile.amazon.com/Marrkey-Carbide-Bicycle-Running-Installation/dp/B078JJ6J4S/ref=pd_cp_263_4/134-8096706-_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B078JJ6J4S&pd_rd_r=22af4389-6bae-4741-b70c-20110df270c4&pd_rd_w=WSbNt&pd_rd_wg=KVlht&pf_rd_p=0e5324e1-c848-4872
My view is that doing from outside-in makes them more prone to ripping out. This happened with my various Nokians. Doing it inside-out enables the screw flange to sit against the carcass and remain in place. It’s important to use pan head screws (eg rounded/domed heads) to minimize interference with the tube. A strip of gorilla tape between screws and tubes is a good idea too.

https://smile.amazon.com/Marrkey-Ca...933R8JQAV0S&psc=1&refRID=P6MA8YTCQ933R8JQAV0S

If I had to experiment I would do this! And they're carbide too. Somehow I can picture the ones screwed from the inside to be pushed back and get flush with the contact surface of the tire. Too bad my only old tires are 26ers and I am now rocking 29ers.

How do the mushroom shaped stud work with the stud ready tires? I can see fitting the screw ins just fine, but those mushrooms? Do they cut into the tire to lodge the head and hold the stud in when being pulled out?

I'm stressing out I road on the ice in the tourne and felt cracking as I stepped off my foot went through.
You have to follow the ice fishermens’ lead. If they’re out there, the ice is solid. If no one is, don’t risk it. Wawayanda is a good bet.

When I did a lot more jetty fishing (before all this friggin replenishment that destroyed the entire tidal zone ecosystem) most folks used spiked sandals that strap over your boots so you wouldn't slip on the rocks. A bunch of us screwed sheet metal screws to the soles of our boots and it worked just as well. The only downside was that we had to change them out once in a while because the saltwater would rust them out.

My thinking is that you'd be fine with the sheet metal screws as long as you don't make a habit of riding in saltwater.

Back
Top Bottom