WTB: Studded fat bike tires

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'm looking to maybe build a cheap winter wheelset and would like studded fat tires for it. The Dillinger 5's look the best, but they are $210 per tire. Anybody have anything kicking around that they don't use anymore since fat biking is dumb?

wrathlorde, cause best name.

although Cake Eater is right up there.

sorry - just got an ad on fb. wonder how they knew?

I have a pair of Dili5 Studded in stock. They are expensive, and available. I have them.

I was hoping someone had a set collecting dust that I could buy for pennies on the dollar. I'm not sure how much coin I want to drop on something that'll only get used 0-5 times per

Thanks for bringing this up, now I want a pair too! At least I already have a set of 27.5+ wheels to use with them. Looks like I may have to skip a couple of mortgage payments...

The bad news is the up-front cost and/or time spent studding winter tires; the good news is that once you have the tires studded/setup the way you want, they pretty much last forever. I like the peace of mind. We don't get much deep, fluffy snow, but we do tend to have a lot of winter freeze-thaw cycles, which can lead to icy trails, at least in spots (and it only takes one...).

Make some. Buy some used tires (Jim always has some lying around) and a $7.95 box of 3/16” sheet metal screws. Using a cordless drill for starter holes It’ll take about an hour a tire. A bit more if beer is involved. Mine have worked great on sheet ice, like this patch:
995EB3FC-5AD2-489E-BCFF-ACD8D2FA9497.jpeg

Make some. Buy some used tires (Jim always has some lying around) and a $7.95 box of 3/16” sheet metal screws. Using a cordless drill for starter holes It’ll take about an hour a tire. A bit more if beer is involved.

My new Minions arrived today, so I've got old Minions. How much money/beer do you want to do this for me? How long will the screws stay in if I also ride them on rocks?

I found Dillinger 5 studded tires online for $175, might just have to buy them, even though that's still pretty ridiculous.

Back
Top Bottom