WTB: Cross Bars and/or Roof Bike Rack

TimBay

Looking for something that would work for MTB and bars that work on raised rail SUV (2010 Subaru Forester, to be specific). Lemme know what ya got lying around on the cheap. Thanks.

rottin'

Staff member
Team MTBNJ Halter's
@TimBay doesnt the forrester have integrated cross bars that pivot out from the rails? Thwy were pop button...my outback had them. I have a roof mount carrier id part with. Thule something or other. Will check when.get home

TimBay

@TimBay doesnt the forrester have integrated cross bars that pivot out from the rails? Thwy were pop button...my outback had them. I have a roof mount carrier id part with. Thule something or other. Will check when.get home
not the forester. just watched a video and thats a pretty rad feature on the outbacks. lemme kno what ya got. thanks.

rottin'

Staff member
Team MTBNJ Halter's
@TimBay this is the Thule rack. Wheel on front and back, mounts to roof rack/cross bars. Was used one season until i got hitch tray mounts. Garage kept since. $50 and its yours

20190808_184101.jpg
20190808_184121.jpg
20190808_184056.jpg

TimBay

Thanks fellas. I may have a lead on a good deal on FB Marketplace. I'm hoping to go over and see if they fit my car/bike tomorrow. This rack looks sick though...tough call.

rick81721

Lothar
Looking for something that would work for MTB and bars that work on raised rail SUV (2010 Subaru Forester, to be specific). Lemme know what ya got lying around on the cheap. Thanks.

Why? I just throw the bike in the back of our forester

TimBay

Why? I just throw the bike in the back of our forester
Well it's a tight fit and I dont like taking the wheel off. I also have kid seats that if have to unbuckle and move around to get the seat down. I currently use a crappy walmart schwinn trunk rack, but it's not the most secure thing. Lots of sway when I get on the highway.

rick81721

Lothar
Well it's a tight fit and I dont like taking the wheel off. I also have kid seats that if have to unbuckle and move around to get the seat down. I currently use a crappy walmart schwinn trunk rack, but it's not the most secure thing. Lots of sway when I get on the highway.

I got a hitch bike rack and used it like 3 times. Pain in the ass getting the bike on and off, plus leaves bike at risk of getting damaged or stolen. All my bikes fit without taking off front wheel

TimBay

I got a hitch bike rack and used it like 3 times. Pain in the ass getting the bike on and off, plus leaves bike at risk of getting damaged or stolen. All my bikes fit without taking off front wheel
Really? I think I crammed it in once and it was really a pain. What size bike do you ride? Do yoy have a forester?

TimBay

I was gonna make a joke about hobbits and 24" wheels, but I don't know him that well. Haha.
Medium salsa horsethief 27.5+, large SC Blur 29, 56 cm cannondale road bike. All fit easily in Forester

Both seats down and on it's side, I suppose? Hmm. Do you put it in back tire first?

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
What kind of a rack do you have that you find it easier to load the bike in the car instead?
B4 getting the rack, I used to load the bike inside my Highlander and I thought that was a pain.
I have an old Yakima tray style rack and its a breeze.

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
What kind of a rack do you have that you find it easier to load the bike in the car instead?
B4 getting the rack, I used to load the bike inside my Highlander and I thought that was a pain.
I have an old Yakima tray style rack and its a breeze.

Hate putting my bike in my car I'm so excited to get a rack

Top Bottom