WTB: Cheap, ugly, but mechanically sound college bike

Rusty

Kid is at UMD and bikes that are pretty or of a big name brand get jacked regularly.

We are shooting for old, ugly, but good working order. Large or XL

Commuter, gravel, mountain, road - doesn't matter, just needs a few gears and brakes that work.

Did I mention cheap?

Clean out the garage and score points with your significant other.

With a decent branded bike you can do what New Yorkers do and tape up the frame to hide the brand name and model. I have some Mongoose stickers for you to throw off would-be scumbags if you want. Good luck with your search.

@Paul H has a yellow shit bike in the city somewhere. It's yours if you get through the u-lock.

I may have some old gray and black Diamondback 26er in the shed. I built my dad a 29er some time ago so they can probably get rid of it.

If someone wants the POSS thats in the city... let me know and I will mail you the key to the u-lock.
The bike is a M I think.

I'm on the same search. Son No.1 may get an old Raleigh, fendered, geared bike. Son No.2 may get a BMX (he's got shorter on-campus distances, and lots of walls, ramps, gaps).
:)

I'm on the same search. Son No.1 may get an old Raleigh, fendered, geared bike. Son No.2 may get a BMX (he's got shorter on-campus distances, and lots of walls, ramps, gaps).
:)
A813A8B4-3B43-456F-8CEF-0806B299678D.jpeg

I have a nice Haro BMX hanging in the garage, $100 if #2 is interested, owner is at UCLA riding a long skateboard and wants it sold.

For Son No.1 I'm now looking at the Pure Cycles Coaster - simple, no cables at all only needs fenders. I'd carefully "weather and corrode" it with paint, then add stickers to make it look undesirable!

Screen Shot 2019-11-15 at 2.38.47 PM.png

Last edited:
I'm thinking your best bet is second life bikes or big dan's bike shop.
they get lots of donors, the kids make them function, and away they go for cheap, and
it support more kids fixing more bikes.

I got a trek Earl singlespeed I've been thinking about selling. Yes, it has more parts than the pure cycle coaster but it's close to what your looking for. Size 54. Price $200 OBO.

Attachments

• IMG_20191025_132149.jpg
    IMG_20191025_132149.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 16
I think I still have a few of these in storage....they were the retired bikes from Duke Island Park Rideshare program...still plenty of life left in them... They were stripped of extras that would rattle (by Dukes while in use) so the fenders and racks were removed....(I may actually have a rack or two hanging around if needed). Tuned up, already weathered looking and ugly, steel frame...$75 cash. LMK if interested, I will drag one of of storage....

https://archive.breezerbikes.com/2012/Breezer/downtown-ex

Attachments

• downtown-ex-main-photo-lowres.jpg
    downtown-ex-main-photo-lowres.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 16
I've got a free, almost new huffy crankbrook. It fulfills two of three:
Cheap.
Ugly.

But: No gears.

IMG_0058.JPG

Back
Top Bottom