WSF 2012/2013 Season JORBA Rides and Trail work

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
Scheduled Saturday Morning Trail Work
October 6 2012, November 10 2012, January 12 2013, February 9 2013, March 9 2013, April 13 2013

Current plans for the first several trail work days include tread repair and nick adjustments up the west side of the FireTower (green) Trail. And some reroutes and repair east of the firetower. This past summer's weather was not kind to either section. If you have the time, we sure could use your help with both of these sections. Workgloves, shovels, mCleods, wheelbarrow and powdered donuts supplied. :)

Meet near the trail head at 9:00, quiting time is before 12:30. Sometimes a beginner pace ride follows. Keep an eye on this string and wharton.jorba.org for details and updates

Saturday Night Ride Schedule
October 27 2012, November 24 2012, January 26 2013, February 23 2013, March 30 2013, April 27 2013

Night Rides are for JORBA members and WSF trail volunteers. Wheels out at 6:00 (or maybe even 6:15), back before 9:00pm. Fun conversational no-drop pace on the inner loops. The WSF staff allows JORBA members and WSF volunteer trail workers to meet after dark in the Batsto Visitor Center parking lot, near the trail head, for this ride. (Please do not park in this lot after hours w/o prior permission. You will be visited by the Park Police.) Helmet and light required. A fair amount of humor is recommended.

Last edited:
Oct. 6, 2012 is IMBA Take a Kid Mountain Biking Day so I will be at Allaire riding with kids. Count me in for at least one WSF TM day as long as there are plenty of donuts (possibly a bearclaw) and a promise of the beginner paced ride can go somewhere near a bridge. :cool:

Oct. 6, 2012 is IMBA Take a Kid Mountain Biking Day so I will be at Allaire riding with kids. Count me in for at least one WSF TM day as long as there are plenty of donuts (possibly a bearclaw) and a promise of the beginner paced ride can go somewhere near a bridge. :cool:

Thanks! Had the TaKMBDay penciled in. Until I saw the condition of those two sections. :( Wanna make it nice for the Thanksgiving weekend ride. :D woop woop!

October 6 2012, November 10 2012, January 12 2013, February 9 2013, March 9 2013, April 13 2013

October 27 2012, November 24 2012, January 26 2013, February 23 2013, March 30 2013, April 27 2013

Night Rides are for JORBA members and WSF trail volunteers. Wheels out at 6:00 (or maybe even 6:15), back before 9:00pm. Fun conversational no-drop pace on the inner loops. The WSF staff allows JORBA members and WSF volunteer trail workers to meet after dark in the Batsto Visitor Center parking lot, near the trail head, for this ride. (Please do not park in this lot after hours w/o prior permission. You will be visited by the Park Police.) Helmet and light required. A fair amount of humor is recommended.

Kurt, Keep me posted on the nite rides, Just got a nice light set up and wanna join in the fun!

Kurt, Keep me posted on the nite rides, Just got a nice light set up and wanna join in the fun!

sure 'nuff! Check this mtbnj string and wharton.jorba.org for updates.

Carried Saturday's Estell TM momentum over into Sunday and mowed a mile or so, including those two scub oak sections, on the NE side of the PBT. It took just as long to fourwheel the trailer and mower back there, as it took to mow. :p Was somewhat sketchy to look back to see the trailer and mower sliding sideways into the deepest part of the mudholes on Mount- Sandy Ridge Rd.. woop wooop :D

October 6 Trail Work

The trailer is packed and ready to roll w/ wheelbarrow, mower, shovels, mcleods, clippers. :) Current TWC forecast looks great. We'll be meeting at 9:00 near the trail head in the Batsto Village Visitor Center parking lot. All are welcome.

Current plan is to walk the first 1/2 mile of the west side for some trail tread repair, firming up the loose spots, doing some maintenance on the drainage dips to prevent more loose spots from forming, and trimming back the brush as we move along. Quitting time before 12:30.

I'll be hanging around after that to mow some re-routes on the *hill* ;) that is east of the firetower.

cant make the TM on the 6th (IMBA kids ride) but wrote in my calender for the November TM. would love to make one of the night rides too.

10/6/12 Thanks

Much thanks to volunteers; Rick Vera, Jim Skolas, Rick Spraque, Bill Charlton and John Williams, who added well over 50 drainage nicks to the first mile of trail on the west side. We used several wheelbarrows of gravel to firm up that first right turn after the post (or last left turn before the post, if you ride cw :)) too.
Bill and me designed and started to rough out the firetower hill re-routes after lunch. That section will be more sustainable and a bit more fun when completed. swoop! :D

Current plans for the first several trail work days include tread repair and nick adjustments up the west side of the FireTower (green) Trail. And some reroutes and repair east of the firetower. This past summer's weather was not kind to either section. If you have the time, we sure could use your help with both of these sections. Workgloves, shovels, mCleods, wheelbarrow and powdered donuts supplied. :)

Meet near the trail head at 9:00, quiting time is before 12:30. Sometimes a beginner pace ride follows. Keep an eye on this string and wharton.jorba.org for details and updates

Thanks for the dates and times Kurt! I'm putting them in my calendar with reminders! Hope to see you all for some of these!

Oct. 27 Saturday Night Ride

The current TWC forecast for the 10/27/12 night ride looks great. Meet near the trail head. Wheels out at 6:00 pm (or maybe even 6:15) :). Sunset is at 5:58 and the moon will be near full. We'll be riding the inner loop trails and be back at the parking lot before 9:00.

Circumstances have kept me off the bike lately, so the no-drop pace will be more conversational than usual :D. woop! woop!

Night Rides are for JORBA members and WSF trail volunteers.The WSF staff allows JORBA members and WSF volunteer trail workers to meet after dark in the Batsto Visitor Center parking lot, near the trail head, for this ride. (Please do not park in this lot after hours w/o prior permission. You will be visited by the Park Police.) Helmet and light required. A fair amount of humor is recommended.

The current TWC forecast for the 10/27/12 night ride looks great. Meet near the trail head. Wheels out at 6:00 pm (or maybe even 6:15) :). Sunset is at 5:58 and the moon will be near full. We'll be riding the inner loop trails and be back at the parking lot before 9:00.

Circumstances have kept me off the bike lately, so the no-drop pace will be more conversational than usual :D. woop! woop!

Night Rides are for JORBA members and WSF trail volunteers.The WSF staff allows JORBA members and WSF volunteer trail workers to meet after dark in the Batsto Visitor Center parking lot, near the trail head, for this ride. (Please do not park in this lot after hours w/o prior permission. You will be visited by the Park Police.) Helmet and light required. A fair amount of humor is recommended.

Ugh! I'm kinda-sorta in for this...I may have to wait for the next one though. It's not cold enough out there anyway, I can still feel my toes! lol
I have TM at Baldpate in the morning so that would mean I'd practically be out all day:eek:
I'm thinking there might be hell to pay for that. :getsome:
:D

Kurt, this will be my first night ride (I picked up a nice light)...can't wait!!! I plan on parking by the trail head, do I leave my Jorba card, a note or something in my window? How do the Park Rangers know who's a member, and who's not? Sorry for what probably is a dumb question....One more thing...would I be able to do the orange trail if I want? (mite be up for some higher mileage, depending on my work schedule for Saturday)....

Kurt, this will be my first night ride (I picked up a nice light)...can't wait!!! I plan on parking by the trail head, do I leave my Jorba card, a note or something in my window? How do the Park Rangers know who's a member, and who's not? Sorry for what probably is a dumb question....One more thing...would I be able to do the orange trail if I want? (mite be up for some higher mileage, depending on my work schedule for Saturday)....

We ask that you sign in and ride with the group.

We used to schedule orange night rides several years ago. But discovered that we could get nearly the same milage, after the red, white and blue were routed and marked, without the headaches of being too far from the parking lot, in the dark, if there is a mechanical. (And there usually is at least one mechanical. :) )
Pace is conversational, with frequent stops for head counts and BS sessions. :D Which is neat, cause there are sometimes JORBA members from as far away as Allentown, North Brunswick, New Fairtonite, (sometimes even the mighty mighty Paulsboro crew shows up) and you can catch up on recent news from Allaire, Mercer, Belleplain, Ceres, GCC, Hartshorne, 6MR, TfK and all.

Last edited:
It looks like I'm out for this one...:(
It's date night. :)
To my surprise, the Mrs. wasn't as enthusiastic about date night @ WSF as I thought she would be. lol :D

No Allentown presence this time around but there is always next month! ;)

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions