Wow, 60's in January

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
What scares me is when we get a warm spell in January AND February. I don't know that I would blame it on the news channels, though. Anyway, I too like the trails frozen and fast. Maybe next week.

I wasn't blaming it on the news stations, I was just saying they make a big deal, like it never happen before when it happens every year.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
I put in 3 hours on the road with a Collegiate national champ from Princeton.

He properly thrashed me and made me feel out of shape and crusty.

He was riding a 48 x 15 on a fixed.

BTW as fk'ed as our weather is, things are on a record pace out west:

http://www.silvertonmountain.com/

This should be their snowiest winter ever.

j

chxracer

same

same hear, i was out road riding mon, tue and wed and got almost 90 miles in, but i cant wait til' the trails freeze up again! The wind was fierce out today on the road but the sun made up for it so i was still all smiles!:eek::):p;)

S

Shar0se

I'm teaching a ski class this week- so of all the weeks for it to be warm- it's the ONE week I would have liked some cold weather- lol go figure!!

KenS

JORBA: Director
JORBA.ORG
In the last week I logged a metric shitton of saddle time, enough that I feel all weird not riding today, almost bummed. Took some much needed time off the bike today, but damn it was awesome to ride with summer gear on for a few days. Actually changed the worn-to-hell cleats on my summer shoes yesterday, something I didn’t see doing until months from now.

Yesterday kicked a lot of ass. I left work early and within a half hour of leaving my office was on the bike headed for Allaire. Got to the trails hurting pretty good from too little rest but knew I would be pissed if I missed the weather.

Met a few friends and ripped through all of the good trails on the "lot side", pace was fast enough to really kick my ass. We got back to the lot after a few hrs and friends split. I headed over to the campground side for a final loop before dark that would end up closer to the bike path that leads me to the road ride home.

The sky was on fire. I came around a corner (near the old rope swing for those familiar with this part of Allaire) and saw a guy sitting in a camp chair looking out over the sunset. He had an amazing view, one that you ride by every day but never notice until you NOTICE it, you know? He had a bike lying against the tree next to him, might have had racks and gear on it, or just a jacket or something, not too sure. It occured to me that thousands of people were blazing by on the parkway a 9 iron shot away from us and likely not giving much of a shit about the sunset.

I rode off without disturbing him. I dropped down the fast hill to his south, over the river crossing and along the river back to hospital road. I couldn’t get the thought out of my head, who was he? How freaking smart was he that he caught the sky on fire on a 60 degree day in January, sitting in his chair on a secluded hill in the middle of New Jersey, where most people from other states agree the country would receive the pointy end of an enema? He may have been homeless, broke, wealthy or somewhere in between. It didn’t matter, because for those few moments and for that sunset, he had it all right.

I hit the road as the sky got dark and pedaled home hurting pretty bad. I wanted to throw in the towel and call the wife for a ride. Legs didn’t want to go. I thought about the dude on the hill and decided getting a ride would be lame. It took me quite a bit longer to get home than usual but went to sleep pretty stoked with the day and looking forward to today. Isn't biking cool?

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
Great stuff, Ken. I was rolling into the lot just as that sundown was finishing up. A glorious day, for sure.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
Hey Ken,

That sensitivity training is paying off.

Wanna meet up and pick some flowers in April?

Love,

J-

bikeboy566

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
With Rays coming up in a week rode street last nite in NB until midnight,still freakin warm out.Damn fun, riding off ledge over at Bush campus and doing stair gaps. Cant what to get back in the woods:D

hooples3

it has been so beautiful out lately.. it makes me miss spring!! Ive been taking the extra long way home on my commute lately, and hitting the trails as often as possible

Top Bottom