Would you report moto use if you were unsure if it was illegal? i need 50 votes/opinions please.

Would you report moto use if you were unsure if it was illegal?

• yes - let the feds figure it out

Votes: 20 30.3%
  • Depends on the situation

Votes: 20 30.3%
  • No - if i'm not sure, i'm not causing a fuss

Votes: 27 40.9%
  • fire ?

Votes: 7 10.6%
  • new bike ?

Votes: 9 13.6%

• Total voters

rottin'

Staff member
Team MTBNJ Halter's
@Patrick I have reported on Moto at Allaire State Park a few years ago, think I may have even posted on here about it as well. Result was fines/tickets to the riders roosting the trails that ATUG works so hard to build/maintain. IIRC, the riders were not necessarily local tho, maybe from Staten island?

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Why do you need fifty votes and what are you using the info for @Patrick

i'm looking for opinions on using the app - in somerset and hunterdon county there is private land along the raritan river, where land owners own the islands
or up to the water - most of places, NJDEP owns the waterfront and riverbed

there is quad and moto in the area - and for the most part, it doesn't seem like they are being abusive of public property,
even if they are on there. (riding the river bed) - or going fishing/hunting - we don't have that much room between houses and
river up here.

I want to research the "idea of the app" vs confrontation vs internet shaming vs calling police vs do nothing.
And if it is not known abuse (like riding single track in stephens) vs just seeing someone minding their own business on a quad vs
rippin' - I'm not anti moto (and i made the arg that the exclusion of available venue for jeep/atv/moto forces illegal use) -

This is my research with concern to a post in our town's "open space" fb page where someone assumed a quad was doing something illegal,
and used the internet as the jury -

I'll hold my opinion, but will post it up in a day or so.
I will not take this poll and post it anywhere "in total" - but would like to say "a causal poll of the mtb community would .....when..."

the responses have been informative.

Thanks for the Q - i should have been more transparent.

Last edited:

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's
i'm looking for opinions on using the app - in somerset and hunterdon county there is private land along the raritan river, where land owners own the islands
or up to the water - most of places, NJDEP owns the waterfront and riverbed

there is quad and moto in the area - and for the most part, it doesn't seem like they are being abusive of public property,
even if they are on there. (riding the river bed) - or going fishing/hunting - we don't have that much room between houses and
river up here.

I want to research the "idea of the app" vs confrontation vs internet shaming vs calling police vs do nothing.
And if it is not known abuse (like riding single track in stephens) vs just seeing someone minding their own business on a quad vs
rippin' - I'm not anti moto (and i made the arg that the exclusion of available venue for jeep/atv/moto forces illegal use) -

This is my research with concern to a post in our town's "open space" fb page where someone assumed a quad was doing something illegal,
and used the internet as the jury -

I'll hold my opinion, but will post it up in a day or so.
I will not take this poll and post it anywhere "in total" - but would like to say a causal poll of the mtb community would .....when...

the responses have been informative.

Thanks for the Q - i should have been more transparent.
nerd.

Patrick

Staff member

i use myself as a yardstick for very few things.

1) using the shortened term for pusillanimous makes me nuts,
cause most people don't even know why that is different from the imported shortened
term for pouch or cat....leading to the slang....(see other rant.)

2) anything similar to #1

i have my opinions, but i'll check them for #onlyInPatsWorld when i want to make a point.

otherwise math

200.gif

JDurk

Batso might be the only place that "allows" it. Other than private land or permitted use.
the other places are "look the other way" -
The mtb trails out of Batsto, definitely don't "allow" motos. There's No e-bike signs. Many of the roads are open to motorized use throughout Wharton State Forest.

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
Batso might be the only place that "allows" it. Other than private land or permitted use.
the other places are "look the other way" -

Penn, Belleplain, Bass River, Brendan Byrne, and Wharton State Forests all have legacy public sand roads. Unless otherwise marked, the sand roads can be used by licensed motorized vehicles. Motorized vehicles are not allowed on the hiking or bicycling trails.

All the usual regs are used in the WMAs. The SPP, SP, and local PD, shut down a big OHV party several months ago in the Winslow WMA. Many of the attendees were from out of town. Many of the dirt bikes and quads were stolen.

Victor I

aka Ridgehog
I grew up riding dirt bikes and yes, they are fun. Like many say, if ripping up the single track that people work hard to build and maintain, not cool. I was riding down the white trail in Ringwood this past weekend and saw the lots of trail damage. It appears to be an ongoing issue.

ekuhn

Riding recklessly/unsafe/Tearing up groomed trails anywhere should be reported. Let DEP determine if they can ride there, its not my decision. If someone is passing through and they look legit, let em roll.

In my youth we may or may not have ridden in illegal areas, but there were no smart phones. Don't have number plates on and just hammer down. The few times I've been stopped those guys cut us warnings and let us go. Maybe I was lucky. NJ does not have a bunch of "Legal" places to ride. Chatsworth - go there 4 or 5 times and you're bored and broke. Raceway Park (RIP) was never my thing. Every other place is "illegal" or the route to get so far in the woods is illegal. You haven't lived until you've crossed the Parkway in both directions to get somewhere down south.

Oh and Fire, of course.

JerseyPete

I grew up riding dirt bikes and yes, they are fun. Like many say, if ripping up the single track that people work hard to build and maintain, not cool. I was riding down the white trail in Ringwood this past weekend and saw the lots of trail damage. It appears to be an ongoing issue.
Cannonball in Ramapo from Pool Hollow Rd up to the lake is rutted so bad you can barely ride it. Even over on Orange the quads are all over. The state should take DuPont (superfund site) and give it to the OHV guys.

olegbabich

Does this trail system have a history of moto traffic?

There is no legal singletrack in NJ, but there are places - (if you have a road legal enduro, wear a helmet, pick up trash, be courteous to other trail users) the man will look the other way.

If they are on Quads with no gear and no helmets report them if you want.

On the side note - there are more people in the woods or maybe it's just me spending more time riding cause I got no job.

Young Wipper Snappers are building huge jump ramp at the local pit, so they can reinforce their bones with screws.

Enforcement is also up, during last month I'm being asked about about my enduro bike by Cops, County Sheriff and Game Wardens every week.

Victor I

aka Ridgehog
Cannonball in Ramapo from Pool Hollow Rd up to the lake is rutted so bad you can barely ride it. Even over on Orange the quads are all over. The state should take DuPont (superfund site) and give it to the OHV guys.
While I love motos(they are fun), one should not tear up built hiking and biking trails, plain and simple. I doubt the people doing the damage are on this site.

Patrick

Staff member
Does this trail system have a history of moto traffic?

It isn't trails, more field side, and in the river - hunters can use quads by permit on county land.
This is more about what "we" do when we see them.
And if it is their behavior that drives our response

ie, i have a sawyer helmet, a couple of cones, and chaps - if i'm seen using a chainsaw, people wait patiently, and thank me.
doing the same thing in sunglasses and shorts gets the "you aren't supposed to be using power tools in here" ....

Last edited:

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Like a lot of Mtb riders I used to ride things with motors in the woods. Rarely was it legal and at best it was ignored. So it’s hard for me to get up on a high horse. On the other hand I see the pains trail builders go through trying to build just a little bit of single track that doesn’t get mauled in a weekend.

But there’s not much to be done. Park police or local PD aren’t going to show up in time to catch anyone. And jerkoffs will be jerkoffs wherever.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
In most cases they have nothing to loose. So if you think you can take them in a fight (and catch them to get them off their bike), handle it yourself. If not, post about it in the internet and stay quiet IRL.

JerseyPete

In most cases they have nothing to loose. So if you think you can take them in a fight (and catch them to get them off their bike), handle it yourself. If not, post about it in the internet and stay quiet IRL.
Ramapo has been putting some police in the park. There are some single track downhills where there is no turning around, and they stand to lose $1G in fines. When I have seen some, I suggest DuPont. There was a lot of nice moto features there years ago.
DuPont is private (and toxic) and they used to go there for years.

Patrick

Staff member
Interesting how flat the results are.

i thought new bike would go way bigger than fire.

There is a ton of bias in the way I asked the question -
So far what I'm taking from this is that people are willing to use the app (except JV),
and give a long leash to the powered group if they aren't ripping up the single track.

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
Interesting how flat the results are.

i thought new bike would go way bigger than fire.

There is a ton of bias in the way I asked the question -
So far what I'm taking from this is that people are willing to use the app (except JV),
and give a long leash to the powered group if they aren't ripping up the single track.

I'm going to litter the Moto pits with techdecks, watch them slip like banana peels

Top Bottom