Would you buy a park rental bike?

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
I have the opportunity to buy a park rental bike at a good price for my son. Obviously it's not ideal since it'll have so many more runs and crashes on it than a personal bike. But it's also maintained professionally and regularly (that's the silver lining anyway lol) and helps get him going to the park most weekends next year on something better than the 2010 Trance X he's currently riding at Creek.

It's a '17 giant glory 2 alum. $3200 new so probably worth $2k if bought from an individual but I offered $1100 and they'll take that. No clue if the fork and shock have ever been rebuilt or what specially else has been done to keep it going these past 2 seasons.

So would you do it? I lost out on a sweet transition last weekend and I'm worried I'm just not going to find another nice 27.5 $1200 DH rig. At this price I can replace a few items and still keep the price down.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Do some pinkbike shopping. Season is coming to an end and super deals to be had over the winter. Bike rental fleet is ok but just your low end drab on it and likely more use then someone's personal sled. There is a sweet transition 450 hanging in my garage that I am sure the owner would be motivated in selling. Medium 26" wheeled. But yeah seriously this is the time of year till march that your going to see the market get flooded esp on PB

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
There is a sweet transition 450 hanging in my garage that I am sure the owner would be motivated in selling. Medium 26" wheeled.

The owner would probably be hoping to get a bit more than $1200, but that might be unrealistic. The owner would also probably be a bit more motivated if you told him his bike couldn't live in your garage anymore. Speaking hypothetically of course.

olegbabich

I think that is a good deal if the bike checks out to be in good shape.

I looked at used bike at Creek, but then found there are better specs used bikes on internet.

In the end I decided to build one myself. I figured for $ 500 - $800 more I can build a much better bike than a Creek used one.

Good luck.

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
Yep I figured they're ridden hard. Theres also a '16 glory not far away I might nab this weekend. One owner instead of a rental bike. I'll go look at it and hopefully it's not beaten.

gmb3

JORBA: Sourlands
JORBA.ORG
Agree a personal bike would probably be in better shape and usually lots on PB. If you wanna go the rental route though, maybe buy from a lower-traffic mountain than Creek (maybe Blue Mtn in PA?) because the bike likely had less use/abuse. Blue has Giants I believe and usually unload them for cheap, and they just closed last weekend.

Reactions: don

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
Agree a personal bike would probably be in better shape and usually lots on PB. If you wanna go the rental route though, maybe buy from a lower-traffic mountain than Creek (maybe Blue Mtn in PA?) because the bike likely had less use/abuse. Blue has Giants I believe and usually unload them for cheap, and they just closed last weekend.

Also look at the demos from Windham. The see way less use than creek

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
If you must buy used, by a used dh bike from someone who never rode it. That’s not hard to find
Liked because this is such a true statement, I love the folks that bling the crap out of their sled only to ride it 3x a season. Good for the guy trying the sport out.

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy

Actually the bike I was looking at is from a lake placid area park. They have giants. 2 seasons they said and I assumed they'd have a lot less use than one from creek. But still ridden harder than a personal bike I'm sure.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
@NJ-XC-Justin I have a very high mileage big travel bike....granted its carbon, but the pivot bearing cups are of metal....they are wearing to the point that I need to epoxy the lower pivot bearings in place now....these would be the kind of things I would be concerned with. Twist and pull on the bike and make sure its still in one piece....

That said...this is not something I would ever buy.....I rented a rocky mountain A50 for 3 days in moab...i hope it got turned into scrap metal and didnt get sold to anyone.

Tbof

As you know we looked for a while. When it comes to kids used is the best bet. They grow to fast to spend a lot of money on a bike. Find what fits in your budget, no matter what you buy you will have to some money into it

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
Alright we passed on the rental bike and tomorrow will be checking out this devinci. Stepping down to 26" wheels but I think that's okay since he's just five foot. And your money goes further.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191102-192016_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20191102-192016_Facebook.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 130
Top Bottom