World Cup

3Lions

Anybody following the World Cup…favorite team…predictions…don’t give a sh….

Rozack

Got to root for the USA! Will watch the game today, maybe it will help get me into soccer. Can't name one person on the team.:popcorn:

VelocityBoy

"Sleeveless Joe"
sorry, but I belong to the, 'don't give a sh...' camp.

Tried watching both games yesterday (both ties at 1-1 and yes 0-0,...a real offensive orgy :rolleyes:), and I think I found a cure for insomnia.

I mean I can understand all the nationalistic crap, but as for the games themselves, for me it's a snooze-fest.

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
Well, i thought about posting a thread about the biggest sporting event in the world, but I already know 99.9% of the members here do not give a :popcorn:, but since you asked...

I picked Netherlands to go all the way and Mexico and USA to advance only to the 2nd round.

Took the day off yesterday and I probably hadn't started drinking that early since sometime back in my college days. What a disappointment for Mexico, but it is not surprise, since they have been lacking scoring power since 1998, they had many chances during the first half to seal the game and they are lucky they didn't lose the game at the end.

My Dark horse is Serbia, although it might not be that dark, since they qualified first on their elimination group.

Hopefully Argentina gets its shit together and plays good soccer (not like the qualifiers)

Germany and Brazil will play solid and advance as usual, but not all the way.

Spain has a great team, but usually falls apart in the world cups, this time it might be different, but I still pick Netherlands to take it all.

I'll pick Italy as the biggest flop this time.

As far as the African teams, I hope Drogba plays for Ivory Coast, I had good expectations for that team.

Perhaps Pampa and Bastogne will be a few of the ones that will post here ;)

And hey, I think Baseball is boring as hell, but too each his/her own :p

Wait, gotta go...Korea-Greece just started :getsome:

I forgot, England....always a great team, maybe 3rd or 4th, but I am more interested in their WAG's:drooling:

Last edited:

3Lions

I still do not understand why Mexico’s 1st goal was off side..must be missing something…although I think a draw was a fare result…Korea looked good or Greece were very bad…

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Go USA. thats why you take shots...force the goalie to handle it cleanly, and always follow up shots.

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
I still do not understand why Mexico’s 1st goal was off side..must be missing something…although I think a draw was a fare result…Korea looked good or Greece were very bad…

Remember the attacking player must not be ahead of the last defender not counting the goalie, so technically cant be ahead of the LAST 2 PLAYERS of the other team. Since the goalie is always at the back, is common to forget about him. (I did when it first happened) In this case the goalie went out to try to get the ball and the mexican player was caught between the goalie and the defensive dude standing on the goal line...b@st@rds!!!

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
Can we borrow a goalie????:cry:

Go USA. thats why you take shots...force the goalie to handle it cleanly, and always follow up shots.

I guess what I read about England NOT having quality goalies is true. I feel so sorry for the dude. I expected this from the South African goalie or maybe the North Korean, but not the English!!
You should always put your whole body behind the ball, cover the net...basic goalie 101...but at least it will make for a more interesting 2nd half :getsome:

jbogner

NYCMTB: President
JORBA.ORG
All three of the USA's keepers are better than the UK's starter. Howard was class today, despite the slip in the 4th minute. 1-1 draw was a fitting end. The US did not look outclassed in the match today, and created some solid opportunities in the second half. And more than that, showed some VERY tough defending. This is going to be a good WC for us!

al415

Banned
All three of the USA's keepers are better than the UK's starter. Howard was class today, despite the slip in the 4th minute. 1-1 draw was a fitting end. The US did not look outclassed in the match today, and created some solid opportunities in the second half. And more than that, showed some VERY tough defending. This is going to be a good WC for us!

I don't think anyone that follows the game is surprised by this reuslt. The US performances against Portugal, Italy and Spain (last WC / Confeds) showed they are a force to be reckoned with: At least in terms of defense and work ethic. Having said that, the only chances they created today were on the counter. If it hadn't been for Calamity Green and Tim Howard the scoreline could have been very lopsided. I worry about where this US team will find goals beyond the group stage. I think this England team can score against anyone and they had better, with the hobbled B-list defense they've brought to South Africa.

J-Dro

What is that annoying buzz that seems to emanate from the crowd during the whole game. Sounds like a swarm of bees.
bumblebee.gif

RNG1

I watched the entire game and have these thoughts. US is better than I thought they would be. Not just in the final result so much but in the consistancy of play throughout. Our goalie is good and was lucky as well. They had at least 2 instances that were practically 1 on 1 that were really poorly played by the English. That is not a knock on our goalie as he did great, but even the best goalie in the world has a low percentage of stopping a 1 on 1. I think had the English not missed some of the more obvious chances this game could have been easiliy 3-0. However I do think the overall play of the US could be good enough to get us far this year and may be the most experienced looking team we've had.

The Kalmyk

Can't name one person on the team.:popcorn:

Tim Howard!!! He had more pictures taken with guest at my wedding then were taken of my wife and I... He was one of the original members of the NJ Knight... I attempted to get his brother (Chris) into mtbing a couple of years back but he went the kayak route as the outdoor activity of choice... I route for the USofA and if they are out of it then Mexico... After that I front run

Last edited:
Top Bottom