Working for our possessions

pibbles

I wish I could aff
I met a couple yesterday that walked away from their life and bought a van and travel and work to travel . They were so fucking happy . People that do this amaze me and wish I had the balls

I wish I could afford a van......

Jmann

Never gonna let you down.
My wife is starting to get annoyed at my answer to any of our problems as "let's get a van and just drive around the country"

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
I met a couple yesterday that walked away from their life and bought a van and travel and work to travel . They were so fucking happy . People that do this amaze me and wish I had the balls

Great idea! Now if we weren't all brainwashed into thinking buying a house is an investment. Is it an investment because you invest every bit of time and money in it?
@Riggedfmx should try van life.

rick81721

Lothar
saturday-night-live-anniversary-ss07.png

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed

That's a nice video with all its mountain scenery, sunsets and peaceful water scenes. But what about when one of them gets sick? Or if their van broke down somewhere where there wasn't anyone to tow them, like say Death Valley or something (and what if that sort of thing happens WHILE one of them is sick or injured)? All this video shows are two happy fools in their good times, with one minor setback where they show them pushing their van for two seconds before being towed by a truck (in what looks like an entirely different episode. And on that note, if that were in a mountain setting as it kind of appears to be, what did they plan to do when they got over the top? Jump in and coast down?) You're not seeing the mornings they wake up feeling crappy and cold, or the times they have to leave the road to do bullshit jobs to make enough money to put gas in their van. Or how hard it is to find those jobs. Or how long they may have actually had to push that van in the snow before they were lucky enough to find someone willing to help them. And how long are they going to be able to sustain this kind of life before they have to stop because they're bodies can't handle it anymore? Do they think it'll be easy to settle down at, say, 50 or so without having any savings?

I don't think there is anything that will "buy" happiness, but I think freedom from worry gives you a headstart on achieving a happy life, and one of the number one things most people worry about is finance. So this kind of life could be great ... if they have financial independence. I'd rather be financially independent and have the option to live this way or any other way I want. If people want to envy someone for living outside the "normal" work-a-day routine, let them envy the ones who escaped it by beating it at its own game: folks who reached the point of being able to walk away and not worry about the money. People who throw it all away before they have financial independence aren't enviable - they're at best short-sighted and at worst dumb as hell.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
met a couple yesterday that walked away from their life and bought a van and travel and work to travel . They were so fucking happy .
I guess everyone has a different definition of happiness. While some may enjoy travel and not being tied to a job for a source of income, others my find comfort in the stability of having a job with a predictable income.

IMO, like everything in life, balance is the key. Work/Play.
Also, always try to enjoy yoself...even at work.

Top Bottom