Wolfe's Pond Park(staten island)

MEAN IRISH GUY

Horse-faced space dog
im headed out there today for a little riding on the trails that opened there yesterday. ill write a nice review afterwards.

MEAN IRISH GUY

Horse-faced space dog
checked it out today. when i got to the lot i met the guy who built the trails and stuff. he was a really nice guy, but i cant recall his name at the moment. he took me to the map of the trails and told me where to go. so big thanks to him! it was a bit techy in parts with a lot of roots. some pretty steep climbs here and there and a couple of real fast step decents. i ended up in one part that he told me about that was JUST cut. it had a ton of throns and stuff still that he warned me about. needless to say i walked it the whole way on that part so i didnt run any thorns over. once you cross over the street the trails get VERY wide. these trails are actually old stomping grounds of mine from when i was a teenager(not from riding, more from causing trouble haha). up on this side there are some BIG BMX jumps that kids built a long time ago. the guy told me that the parks department said they can keep them in there. they look fun for you big jump guys. i also came across a really cool log ride that the guy built. its kinda wide i would say about a foot at least and about 10 feet long, but its super sturdy and really well built. overall this place is cool because there are NO other legal trails on staten island so its nice to have. so if you want a pretty techy place to ride id say come check it out. but if you are looking for any fun swoopy stuff this place is not for you. id like to ride it again in a year or so when the trails are broken in. also i have some pics i took of the log ride that ill post later.

jbogner

NYCMTB: President
JORBA.ORG
Nice. Matt Lebow was the guy you talked to, and this has been his project for 6 years now. We rushed the opening to coincide with the Ladder 5 trail run yesterday, and as a result didn't get the chance to build the new planned singletrack, but we've been working with various parks folks to get new singletrack approved north of Hylan Blvd where it's currently much, much too wide! ;)

To hear State Senator Andrew Lanza at the opening festival talking about how great mountain biking is for Staten Island parks, and how now he can "get the money flowing" into the trails project was pretty amazing.

And yeah- we're working on a plan to completely renovate the existing dirt jumps into a legal jump park, and Senator Lanza has promised to fund it.

Glad you checked it out. I've been working with Matt for the past year and a half to get it through the Parks approval process, and it's great to see his dream finally realized!

Dusty the Whale

Mr.Chainsaw
bikes088.jpg

i went here today...was it worth the 8 bucks to get over the bridge...not really...this bridge was bout the only cool thing there...the trails are still being cut...the climbs were short but fun...just power up them...it was my first time here...prob last but i didnt get a tour and it was 100 degrees out so im not being fair with this post...wont go back until i hear a more positive post on this place...

Dusty the Whale

Mr.Chainsaw
moments after i posted this...i hear ppppiiiiiissssstttttt and the crinkle of tube and tire...i look at my bike sitting in my room and what do ya know the rear tire goes flat...F*UCKIN THORNS....

walter

Fourth Party
moments after i posted this...i hear ppppiiiiiissssstttttt and the crinkle of tube and tire...i look at my bike sitting in my room and what do ya know the rear tire goes flat...F*UCKIN THORNS....

Dude, you need to buy a spare bike just so you have it to ride when the other bike is busted up. Might I suggest a 29er?:D

Top Bottom