Wmba fat tire festival

fattireb

WMBA’s Fat Tire Festival Being Held
June 14th at Blue Mountain in Peekskill

The Westchester Mountain Biking Association (WMBA), Westchester County NY’s mountain biking organization and advocacy group, is holding its 14th Annual Fat Tire Festival from 10am – 4pm on Sunday, June 14, 2009 at Blue Mountain Reservation in Peekskill, New York.

The Fat Tire Festival is an all-day event with lots of music, food and fun activities for the whole family. The annual festival is a great opportunity to spend a day outdoors and experience the world-renowned mountain bike trails at Blue Mountain Reservation, which was named the country’s “Best Hometown Trail” by Bike magazine in February 2009. ..
CHECK IT OUT!!!!
BIKE Magazine Blue Mountain Review!

Events and activities include:

* Live music all day from four great bands!
* Festival activity zone with lots of food and fun!
* Bike races for kids and teens!
* Group rides around Blue Mountain’s trail network for MTBers of all levels!
* Impressive skills competitions showcasing the area’s best bikers!
* Win a new Cannondale mountain bike in the Poker Rally
* Win tons of great prizes in the raffle!

The Fat Tire Festival is a celebration of mountain biking camaraderie. One and all are welcome to come out and spend a day riding some of the greatest trails in New York State. Organized group rides for all ability levels, lead by experienced local guides, will be leaving throughout the day to explore the trails. Watch and compete in the many skills competitions, including a wheelie contest, fast and slow races, and the infamous, crowd-pleasing “skinny skills” contest on an ultra-narrow, raised wooden obstacle course.

All Festival participants are eligible to join our Poker Rally to win a new bike and great prizes. Cannondale and Hickory & Tweed Bicycle Shop in Armonk have donated a brand new Cannondale mountain bike as the Grand Prize Award. Our local bike shop sponsors, including Yorktown Cycles, Down Cycles, Danny’s Cycles and Briarcliff Bikeworks have also donated many more prizes to be raffled off.

The Festival supports a great cause. A majority of the proceeds raised are donated to the Westchester County Friends of Parks. For 25 years the non-profit organization has worked to raise money to buy equipment, fund children’s programs, provide amenities and support the Westchester County Parks. Their vision is to keep the parks clean, green and growing. Come out and support a great cause, have some fun and give back to the Westchester County Parks.

CAMPING NEARBY!!!!
Croton pt park is close and they have a variety of facilities from cabins to rent to camping and RV spots at very reasonable rates

Call 914-862-5290 for info

The park is a 6 min drive from Blue Mountain and even has a beach

About the WMBA
The WMBA is a grass-roots association that promotes mountain biking and offers leadership and organization to the mountain biking community in Westchester County. Founded in 1995 as the Cortlandt Area Bicycle Network (CABN), the organization’s name was later changed to reflect its county-wide focus. The WMBA works closely with the Westchester County Department of Parks, Recreation and Conservation to maintain the area’s premier mountain biking trails. The WMBA also promotes trail advocacy, social interaction and group rides.

FTF2009-735x900.jpg
[/quote]

jbogner

NYCMTB: President
JORBA.ORG
This Sunday- don't miss it. Even Gary Fisher himself is going to make an appearance, along with demo trucks from Specialized, Trek, Gary Fisher and Intense Cycles...

monteverest

this will be my first bike fest in years - any violation of ethics or etiquette to show up empty handed and ride demo bikes all day, including the group rides? goal this summer is to ride tons of blue

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
I will be there for sure. I rode at Mt beacon yesterday and I am loving NY trails.

gtluke

The Moped
I think I crashed every bike I ever wanted to try today, crashing a gary fisher superfly was awesome. Jim is insane if he thinks that bike doesn't immensely sacrifice maneuverability. Doesn't turn for crap but holy hell is it fast. It rides really nice too.

al415

Banned
Darn, I was stuck in Long Island (aka Hell on Earth) all weekend and didn't know about this until it was over!

monteverest

was only there 3 hours - too short but had a blast.

demoed the GF Roscoe 3 and walked away with my head shaking..."i could rule the world with this bike...:D" the Roscoe just fit me to perfection.

many thanks to the organizers and vendors. this festival will be on my calendar for next year

bdmtb

Great Time

Thanks for hosting a great event WMBA. The Fest rocked. Conditions were very "east coast" in the am but the Blue single track is awesome. I can't wait to do it again next year....

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
Is there info about these Mt Beacon trails? Are they technical?

I was eating dinner at a really good BBQ place in Beacon on Friday night and it occurred to me that the Mt in the back of the place had to have trails.

I looked on mtbr and found a basic map. I didn't have a printer so i went on memory. They parking lot south of town on 9d look sketchy so I parked at a little park entrance just to the south of Beacon.

I rode a few feet in and I quickly realized I was in the wrong place. About 20 guys from a local b-ball squad started yelling that I was in the wrong place. Since they said that it couldn't be ridden.. I rode it. Er Hiked/biked it. It was really washed out switchback climbs and I was on a bike I had never ridden.

I was hating life but I soon saw an old footing for a ski lift tower. (the next day i talked ot a guy who skied there 35 years prior) Something about the ski tower made me keep going. I got to the top riding more or less 1/2 the time. I saw a lot of hikers and none of them seemed glad to see me.

The view at the top was really impressive. I was looking down at the Hudson river on the nicest day I had seen in months.

About this time i had about 3 hours to get to my GF's sister's wedding. So I decided to get lost. I more or less remembered the map..sort of and I knew generally that 9d was to the west.

I basically had a 45+ minute descent on very rocky, muddy and unbelievably fun quad trails.

I later popped into Beacon cycles and chatted with the owner about the trails. There seems to be some hidden single track stuff (which i never saw) but mainly you are riding on very rocky quad trails.

and today..

We rode Blue for the 1st time. This was about the 15th time for Kelly (GF) on a mt bike but i figured that she was ready for more rocks. It is my fault for not bringing her to rockier places prior but she did super well. We basically did the outer loop clockwise.

It clearly has been a wet spring in these parts. Kelly was suffering at first but about 15 minute in we saw a group of 10 or so women, led by a lady who had to be 50+. They were covered in mud and smiling like crazy. The little inspiration that those women gave was evident. Kel said that she was tired of getting off her bike to walk the rough sections.. so she started riding them. She is charging climbs and crawling the descents but she is improving greatly with each ride. It is super fun to witness each little improvement .

These trails reminded me of trails that I built in Maine 15 years ago. At times I thought of round valley, Jay peak Vt, Orono Maine, Allamuchy Killington..etc.. There is a really nice stepped climb at the farthest point which I really enjoyed. My riding has improved this year and it felt great to stomp that section.

I would love to go back with some locals and get the proper tour but what we found on our own will inspire a return visit for sure.

Last edited:

KenS

JORBA: Director
JORBA.ORG
Another awesome blue fest. J I had no idea you would be up there, or the other mtbnj'rs. Hope you all had as much fun as I did. Huck and I got in 3 rides, he demo'd an intense 29r for two of the rides and loved it. Blue remains in my top 5 all time fav places to ride. Mild bummer that it was slick today, but I still had sore smile muscles by the end of the day.

Robson

I wanted to go there right after Williams lake race but myself and bike were covered by one inch of mud...

JeffSpicoli

Awesome Fat Tire Festival....Furious Rides, great atmosphere; and wicked Skinnies contest(a Tad higher/difficult skinnies than Jorbafest ones). The great weather and layers of mud just added to the fun that everyone had. Massive props to WMBA for the event. :)

Brian Snyder

JORBA "Roaming Gnome"
JORBA.ORG
Another awesome blue fest. J I had no idea you would be up there, or the other mtbnj'rs. Hope you all had as much fun as I did. Huck and I got in 3 rides, he demo'd an intense 29r for two of the rides and loved it. Blue remains in my top 5 all time fav places to ride. Mild bummer that it was slick today, but I still had sore smile muscles by the end of the day.

I am pissed I didn't feel up to going today, ( I finally felt better after sleeping till noon, and eating something that didn't instantly try to get back out of me) You and Huck were better off without me there trying to find a bathroom every 10 min. Next time I will be prepared in advance, and not go out with friends intil 2am.

Eileen

I had an awesome time at the fat tire fest!!! I demoed the Trek 69er SS and the Superfly carbon 29er. It was my first time on a SS or a 29er. Now I want a SS 29er and a Superfly. I drank the kool-aid and liked it. The demo guy warned me that I wouldn't like small wheels anymore. Not buying anything this year, but hopefully next year :D

Top Bottom