Wish you could have seen it...

Cyclopath

Shop Owner / Employee
Shop Keep
10/29/08 Decidedly cold and wickedly windy, this day was determined not to be quickly forgotten. A brutal headwind had me fighting in the flats like I was climbing a 10% grade. Then, almost rhythmically, a pat, pat, pat-pat, pat... rain. It came harder and I considered turning around. I was only 6 miles into a 30 mile route.

Left turn, commitment. I was out for as long as I could stand it. As if it heard my thoughts, the sky opened up and swarmed me in my first snow squall of the season. Stop ahead. Here I am, standing at a major highway crossing, waiting for the light to change. Drivers huddled shivering in their cars drive by looking at me in a light jacket, tights and gloves. How preposterous! Riding a bike in an October blizzard! I look up and let the snowflakes hit my face. I couldn't help myself, I laughed out loud. That was the moment everything changed...

Game on! Today, I forgot the Garmin at home and I couldn't care less. No speedometer, no heart rate or cadence, no training. I was one with the bike and had the weather as a ride mate. I worked hard, racing the wind, the weather. I thought of the people, the cyclists stuck in cubicles on this glorious day and I decided to enjoy every second of the pain, the joy and the cold for them too.

The snow stopped, the winds kept at their game of trying to knock me over and the skies... showed their glory. Dark mounds of blueberry ice cream clouds with tufts and ribbons of marshmallow icing dominated the sky except for the patch of clear blue summer sky elbowing to keep its space. I head for the hill. I love this bike. I love this life. I love this sport. An old man washing the leaves from his driveway with a hose raises his arm in the air and cheers me on yelling Go!, Go!, Go! I smile and tell him to get his bike and come along.

I battled my hill demons as the sky cleared and the sun beat down as if it were a July morning. I climbed solid and stronger than usual, completely fogging my glasses in the climb and sweating, despite the cold and my frozen toes, unzipped the jacket and jersey with the one hand I could spare.

Then, imagine all the infinite shades of peak fall color. A not too distant hill covered in oranges, red, bronze, fuscia, brown, crimson, melon, greens and yellows all lit and glowing vibrant in the late fall angle of the sun. Now, picture the entire sky framing the hill to be a turbulent, foreboding purple-gray with white whisps. Amazingly spectacular. I wish you could have seen it.

Down(my favorite side of the hill). Up the road that's a wind tunnel on a calm day, I'm almost standing still. Back across the highway. Tap, tap, ping! Tap, ping, ping, ping! Hail!! A little sting as they hit my face and legs. I tried to catch some on my tongue. I watch the balls of ice spring off my tights and headset and hear them bounce off my helmet. I remember it was only a month and a half ago, on the MS tour when it was so hot we poured water through our helmet vents and crammed the holes up with ice before leaving the rest stops. It's been a great year. Great fun, great places, great friends. I wouldn't trade any of it for a cleaner house, a manicured lawn or a neat attic.

The hail continued, sticking on the road and on the lawns. Having a blast, I smiled at it all. This is a glorious day! Then, in its final show of good humor, the wind blew the chattering ice balls at me sending them across the road in waves. I laughed again. A fall day. All the ways fall can be displayed in one two hour ride on a threatening day.

I wasn't caught sleeping this time. Carpe Diem!!!

Last edited:

sixseven

Damn fine post. Good writing, good read. Than you from those of us not able to get out and ride when you could. You upped the the bar for passion in NJ on this one, hell yeah!
:getsome:

liong71er

:)indeed very good writing reports,sound like a paperback writer to me:D,..cyclopath you're the man!
wish i can ride with you someday(if you don't mind:))

Cyclopath

Shop Owner / Employee
Shop Keep
cyclopath you're the man!

You're in for one hell of a shock, my friend.

Liong, you're crazy enough to ride with the Cyclopath, but let's keep it under 200 miles, OK?

Thank you from those of us not able to get out and ride when you could. You upped the the bar for passion in NJ on this one, hell yeah!
:getsome:

Thanks, sixseven! I'm glad you got to feel the ride too. It was just that awesome. And passion, let's just say I appreciate every moment 'cause I know how freaking lucky I am to be able.

BiknBen

Game on! Today, I forgot the Garmin at home and I couldn't care less. No speedometer, no heart rate or cadence, no training. I was one with the bike and had the weather as a ride mate.

The length of the post had me concerned. Would I stay interested enough to get through all of it? After reading those few sentences, I was hooked. That's the way I roll. My expensive Polar HRM on the bars used to be my training companion and coach. It just tells we the time of day now. I've nearly forgotten how to use it. Just me and the machine...as one!

Good stuff. Glad you got out there...and didn't turn around. :cool:

Sircrashalot

Late seeing this....remember the day, couldn't ride and probably wouldn't have, but after reading this post...wish I could have- would have! Awesome..

Top Bottom