Winter Trail Abuse.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Take a common Strava segment that is ridden by everyone, and at the end of a day when people shouldn't be riding, check to see all of the people that rode that day. Then shame them on Strava. You won't get everyone, because not everyone uses Strava and some people won't care, but I think you'll get to a lot of people. Just have a canned response with a link to this thread or whatever. And I use the word shame, but don't be a dick about it because many people just don't know.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Do the land managers have the right to close a trail system because it rained?

I know they do it when it would be very difficult to safely extract someone that is injured. ie wayway before plowing the roads.

And if there is a program put in place to warn/ticket, then yes it will get done.
They are more than happy to give campers tickets for having beer if it is visible.

Jmann

Never gonna let you down.
Take a common Strava segment that is ridden by everyone, and at the end of a day when people shouldn't be riding, check to see all of the people that rode that day. Then shame them on Strava. You won't get everyone, because not everyone uses Strava and some people won't care, but I think you'll get to a lot of people. Just have a canned response with a link to this thread or whatever. And I use the word shame, but don't be a dick about it because many people just don't know.
Maybe add a link with a detailed explanation of why to stay off the trails and how much work goes into maintenance. My first instinct is to shame but most people get defensive and won’t listen after being called out.

Mountain Bike Mike

Do it and maintain it.
Only if its ok with @jdog since he IS the Six mile advocate, point of contact, jorba contact, person who maintains the relationship with the park folks - person that needs to ok it.

on this note, how many "Trail Closed due to muddy conditions" signs would we need?

If everyone can think about a total number and where they can be posted, we can come up with an order / $$ amount... Place an order and then hand them out to those of you who can help post them up...

I can't find that specific sign to purchase so making them may be the way to go... Anyone one know a person that can make custom signs? @Pearl

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
I live really close to 6MR and would probably be all gung-ho about updating signage for two weeks. Then it will get old. Driving there most days out of the year is a lot to ask, and I probably live the closest to 6MR than anyone on the site.

Patrick

Staff member

sort-of doable - then it needs an idea of when it was ok to ride - like 'before 9am' -

a daily scan is easy enough - it's in the leaderboard section. probably even easier through the API.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
sort-of doable - then it needs an idea of when it was ok to ride - like 'before 9am' -

a daily scan is easy enough - it's in the leaderboard section. probably even easier through the API.
So then someone would comment to them? Or they just see the segment. Honestly, there are 30? segments on the full loop so it kinda gets lost...

I tried commenting to a guy that was riding Core Creek in really bad conditions and doing bad trail work. He blocked shortly after: fail.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
So then someone would comment to them?

Yeah.

Honestly, there are 30? segments on the full loop so it kinda gets lost...

Just pick one or two segments that pretty much anyone there would have to ride if they did a ride. Like right out of the parking lot.

I tried commenting to a guy that was riding Core Creek in really bad conditions and doing bad trail work. He blocked shortly after: fail.

Yeah, some people will do that.

Tim

aka sptimmy43

The problem is you are assuming everyone uses Strava. My guess is that some of the offenders use Strava but many more don't.

Maybe add a link with a detailed explanation of why to stay off the trails and how much work goes into maintenance. My first instinct is to shame but most people get defensive and won’t listen after being called out.

I doubt this would work. Maybe I am being too pessimistic but in today's "instant gratification" society no one is really going out of their way to get information on much of anything, let alone because someone else told them to.

I live really close to 6MR and would probably be all gung-ho about updating signage for two weeks. Then it will get old. Driving there most days out of the year is a lot to ask, and I probably live the closest to 6MR than anyone on the site.

This is right on. Unfortunately it almost needs to be a long term closure like Nox or Nassau to be realistic.

If it protects our access to the park I would be all for official "TRAIL CLOSED" signs printed on legit State signage that went up at trailheads before freeze thaw and came down after. I think it needs to be short and sweet, to the point, official, and in-your-face to be effective. Enforcement would make it more effective but that's another initiative.

Patrick

Staff member
So then someone would comment to them? Or they just see the segment. Honestly, there are 30? segments on the full loop so it kinda gets lost...

first segment they hit - easy enough

Automated

Maybe it is the way you said it? Did you reference any genitalia? - ok, kidding aside, probably just throw in a link to a website specific to 6MR,
with the 'Why' and the 'Who' -

i'm not even sure this is permitted use of strava. as soon as we do it, will the park police want to know who was riding in the late, late, late afternoon?

Johnny Utah

Interesting post, I applaud @jdog for the work at the park. Even more I applaud his efforts at marketing trail conditions at Six Mile. It seems to be the only park people really get up tight about when people abuse the trail system.

As for rangers, they are staffed thin in the State, they are hardly there in a situation when you actually need them. Several years ago I took pictures of a plated enduro bike riding the trails at Allaire, when the rider asked what I was doing he tried to steal my camera and punch me while his buddy tried to ram me with his bike. When I called the park they told me it could take four to five hours to get a ranger over to me as they were covering multiple parks and were not in the area. I left my contact info to report a case and they never called me back. That is assault with no call back, I doubt they will pursue a ticket for riding wet trails.

Blocking the trails: I encourage you to ride into the pine barrens where ATV riding is illegal; the woodlands are blocked off and signs posted everywhere. Yet people still ride ATV's all over the place down there.

Over the past few years it seems the situation has only become worse. When people want to ride, they ride. At this point people are brazen enough to post their rides up after riding in unfavorable conditions and will argue they are in the right. I have seen several people who are usually advocates for not damaging trails riding in muddy conditions with the F-It attitude, yet join the "support for six mile" band wagon the next day.

Make wet trail riding illegal........well night riding all ready is at most parks yet we have a fight club thread on this bored.

Unfortunately the community as a whole needs to change, otherwise the same ruts will be there year after year. Fewer and fewer qualified people show up to maintenance days and more and more people breach etiquette. If you turn that around the results would be tremendous.......and almost free.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
The problem is you are assuming everyone uses Strava. My guess is that some of the offenders use Strava but many more don't.

I acknowledged in my first post on this that it won't get everyone because not everyone uses Strava. It won't even get everyone that uses Strava, because some of them won't care and will just delete your comment and/or block you.

Reactions: Tim

Patrick

Staff member
Solution is easy. Robots patrol the trailheads.

ordered remote control gate from amazon.

isabelle-lightvvood-3.gif

rick81721

Lothar

I said before I'd do this but I thought there was some issue with the state. Anywho, assuming our new house is still fairly close to 6mr (and it should be), I still hold open the offer for when I'm in jersey

rick81721

Lothar

Yeah this - anyone on strava who is riding in mud will just block you

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions