Winter riding

Dconti46

So this is my first winter of mountain biking still being newer to the sport. Are there any standard sets of rules that people typically go by? Or can the trails be damaged by riding them if it's too cold or anything like that? I just don't know if there are regulations and I wouldn't want to jeapardize the trails that a lot of people work very hard on so we can all ride on them.

Ride when the ground is frozen and before the sun starts to melt the top layer. This usually means at night or early in the morning.

if trails are solid ice, (sometimes happens depending on freeze/thaw/freeze cycles) they are rideable too if you have studded tires.

Ride when the ground is frozen and before the sun starts to melt the top layer. This usually means at night or early in the morning.

Mornings are an awesome time to ride esp. in areas that might normally have annoying mud ( first time thru an area with frost heaves be careful until you get a feel for that )

For myself once the snows come, nice plowed dirt roads are a more enjoyable option.

-W

^ what they said ^

personally, this is my favorite time of year to ride. I love riding with a chill in the air. the cold air in the lungs in invigorating. and trails are awesome in the cold - keeps the sand at bay (important in Monmouth County). Allaire becomes like a race track ;)

finally, do NOT pass up an opportunity to ride during a snow storm (before the snow gets too deep)...truly sublime.

The "ride at first light" rule is most important at 6MR. That place turns soupy.

Where are these roads? Only dirt roads I know of in the Bridgewater/Plainfield area is further west around Hacklebarney.

Indeed west it is, the ride below starts on Burnt Mills road which is nearly exactly at the intersection of Rt 78 and 287 so quick to get to. ( esp from Bridgewater )

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/130909656

There are additional roads in that area and with intermixing some paved roads one can make it to Califon and back. JimV has posted a couple loops.

( I think Pearl had collected some info on unpaved roads in the Hillsborough area ( likely some featured in the spring time Hell of Hunterdon ride ))

- W

^ what they said ^

personally, this is my favorite time of year to ride. I love riding with a chill in the air. the cold air in the lungs in invigorating. and trails are awesome in the cold - keeps the sand at bay (important in Monmouth County). Allaire becomes like a race track ;)

finally, do NOT pass up an opportunity to ride during a snow storm (before the snow gets too deep)...truly sublime.

^ word. As I'm sure you've experienced, it's even better when the snow's lightly falling as you ride past dusk into dark.

OP: Other usually sure bets for snow riding are suburban parks and trails that get decent foot traffic to pack down deep snowfall. Examples include Loantaka Brook (Morristown), Patriot's Path (Morristown to Ralston) and Saddle River County Park (Paramus to Ridgewood). Some sections of these trails are paved, but makes no difference when they're all covered with snow. Love the looks I get from the dog walkers and Xc skiiers... It's a mixture of "why is he doing that?", "how is he doing that?" and "how do I get to do that?" :D

You also want to make sure you dress in layers, (as I hope you already know); just keep in mind it's reccommended to be a little cold, (uncomfortable, not freezing) before your ride, so that way when you heat up you don't sweat too much and get wet.

protip: toe warmers by the case. Check TractorSupply or Sam's Club. Also wool socks; absolutely no cotton anything.

Which brand do you go with... Everything I have tried requires them to have some air flow to stay warm which is usually cut off by my boots:(

My best winter riding tip...

Get a snowboard.;)

Absolutely. Just got this, looking forward to making some turns soon.

Attachments

• RC pickle.jpg
    RC pickle.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
Which brand do you go with... Everything I have tried requires them to have some air flow to stay warm which is usually cut off by my boots:(

agree, if you are using windproof anything, toe and hand warmers are useless. Ive only used them on super cold days(like below 20 agrees) and found that all they do is make my feet uncomfortable in my boots. I gave up on them.

Winter riding is fun, the trails are empty and as long as you dress right the cold temps are doable. Snow rides are fun but my mind will always wonders could I ride my board down that, silly but happens everytime. Here's 2 pics from my last snow ride last winter

Attachments

• snow ride.jpg
    snow ride.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 171
  • snow ride2.jpg
    snow ride2.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 146

I don't think that's such a factor (Hotties or whatever's available.) I don't have winter riding boots, so I just use them with my summer shoes which to some degree have ventilation. Open up the package when you leave the house - it usually takes me at least a half an hour to get to where I am pedaling. By the time you get there they should be warm. I stick them to the foot bed at the toes. One pair of wool socks, not too thick. Alternately, you can put them inside the shoe on the top, where it may get more air. Either way, they work great, and I have never felt the need for winter boots or to go anything but clipless.

Attachments

• IMG_0929 resz.jpg
    IMG_0929 resz.jpg
    298.4 KB · Views: 159
Back
Top Bottom