Winter Projects?

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
I just remembered last night that my Stinky needs a new Front Brake Lever and it also probably needs a good tune up. So I guess that is my Winter Project.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I will be taking my time swapping parts from my Haro Mary SS Frame onto a new Niner One9 frame.

Nice! That should take all of a few hours. What are you going to do with the remaining 90 days and 21 hours? :)

What happens to the Mary frame then?

J-Dro

I just remembered last night that my Stinky needs a new Front Brake Lever and it also probably needs a good tune up. So I guess that is my Winter Project.

So your part of this project is dropping the bike off at the shop and then picking it up? :D

J-Dro

Let's see... I need to change the fork oil in the Pike and the Reba 29er. And I guess its been a while since I serviced my CK hubs.

And I may pick up a road bike.:hmmm:

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'd love to get rid of the early nineties STI/Ultegra 600 stuff (always hated 'em) and upgrade\update to something else, but 'can't justify the $$ this winter (maybe next).

Always enjoy seeing your avatar. Takes me back. I graduated from the University of Oregon...a.k.a. Faber College. 'Watched 'em tear down Animal House (it was really a co-op) in 1986. 'Friends called me Blutto and more than once the scene in front of the old Administration building (prior to the horse gag) was re-enacted by a drunken Tim..always drew a crowd...ahh memories..

On the road bike, it's not sexy but the 105 component group has been absolutely fantastic for me. I don't race on the road so I'm not concerned with the lighter components. The 105 group is solid and not expensive.

I had no idea Faber was Oregon. Good stuff, too bad it got torn down.

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
So your part of this project is dropping the bike off at the shop and then picking it up? :D

sssshhhhhhhh!! :D
I gotta support my LBS!! They need winter projects too. ;)

by the way....all the peppers are gone...made a few killer salsa batches. Thanks!!

Maurice

I'm building more powerful lights for the commuter. What they call a "commuter headlight" just doesn't cut it on unlit back-roads when it's pitch black.

Speaking of commuter... I need a new bottom bracket, scrape off some rust/add more ghetto paint, and the headset doesn't feel too smooth. No idea when I'll have the time to do the rust stripping part. Maybe a CX bike for this duty?

I'll be looking at race wheels for the road bike. I'd love to find some vintage GP4s or SSC and go back to tubulars. This will probably end up waiting for next winter, the wheels on there work fine they're just heavier than my MTB wheels ;)

And last but not least, I sold my race frame so I need to replace it. Yeti is high on the list again, but I may look around a bit.

Maurice

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
On the road bike, it's not sexy but the 105 component group has been absolutely fantastic for me. I don't race on the road so I'm not concerned with the lighter components. The 105 group is solid and not expensive.

I had no idea Faber was Oregon. Good stuff, too bad it got torn down.

I actually had 105 stuff (circa 1991) on my first road bike (DiamondBack Master TG). The 105 stuff worked much better than the Ultegra 600 stuff I got on the Torelli. When/if I do change out the group, I'll be looking for as light as possible and still bullet proof, though. I work for a company that gives you a 2 month sabbatical every seven years, so I'm thinking I'll do a coast-to-coast. Of course, they closed the NJ site (so I work from home) and I will probably get kicked to the curb early next year...which means I may not get to take my sabbatical when I want and will be looking for a new gig on my sabbatical instead.:mad:

Yeah, as you might imagine, Animal House is a super-cult film at UofO. I watch it every so often as it is always particularly fun for us Ducks. Spent a billion hours in the Student Union/Fish Bowl ("I'm a zit, get it!") and had more than half my math classes in 210 Fenton Hall (where the "court" scenes were filmed). I've even been to the Dexter Lake Club ("Otis!")...used to drag race out near there. The funny thing was I didn't realize it was filmed at the UofO either until I was a student there and was watching it my first weekend there at the Student Union! Imagine my surprise...

It was a big deal among the locals when they tore it down (it was a serious POS building, though...this was 9 years after Animal House was filmed). Now there is a medical office building there.

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
This is exciting to see so many eager busy bikers with plans.

I too fall into the "my great mechanics, Geoff and Art take care of everything on my bikes" catagory, so no bike fidling planned on my part.

Although, if Mr pixy gets the ok from the doc next week to retire the cane, I hope to get out in the woods and continue walking and gps new reroutes and routes for new trail proposals for next year. Usually we start our plans for the following year in Nov and Dec when the leaves are down making it easy to see. Unfortunately, that could not happen this year. So a late start is planned.

BiknBen

Nice! That should take all of a few hours. What are you going to do with the remaining 90 days and 21 hours? :)

What happens to the Mary frame then?

My other Winter project will be trying to keep off the 20 lbs I put on last winter.

The Mary frame and fork may end up on eBay or the classifieds here. I have no reason to keep it and don't have room for spare stuff.

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
My other Winter project will be trying to keep off the 20 lbs I put on last winter.

Heh, heh, me too...also gonna' try to take off an additional 20 this winter. Back in my racin' days I didn't ride in the winter, but still kept my 3000+ calorie a day diet. Always gained 20 lb (min) in the off-season...

Top Bottom