Winter Gear

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I got a gore phantom jacket last year and it is awesome, i wore it with just a craft longsleeve pro extreme base layer and went down in the 20's no problem. The windstopper material is amazing. If you mate this with a craft Prowarm base layer, it would be even better. I am going to pick up another craft base layer this year. The stuff ain't cheap though. I think the jacket retails for $150 and the base layers between 60 and 80. The windstopper fabric is no joke, though. I did get a discounted base layer at the grand prix of cyclo at mercer last year at the craft tent.

I plan to get some gore gloves this year. I am getting one for 30's-40s' and one for 30 and below. I know Halters has a bunch on order, I tried some one last year and when the rep was in halters in the summer. very nice stuff.

i have booties from peformance that seem to do the job for the feet.

Is this the Craft layer you're referring to:
http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=24346&subcategory_ID=1123

?

al415

Banned
On the subject of base-layers. While I am fond of my fancy Rapha merino wool base layers, there is a much cheaper alternative: Stores like Banana Republic blow out their stock of wooly sweaters right after christmas. These sweaters are not as "technical" as some of the nice function-specific stuff made by Rapha / woolistic etc. but they get the job done. I have a couple of really lightweight merino wool sweaters that are about 15 years old, both from Banana Rep. I wear them as base or intermediate layers on cold, wet days right into the Spring.

ellbiddy

You girly men! I ride in my underpants and scoff at the elements...:getsome:

Realistically though, I never had any trouble besides a zip up fleece with a long tee underneath, some sweats and a good pair of socks in my normal cycling shoes. But I do sport a ski mask, but in all its a pretty light get up. I wore the same when I was in Russia during the winter and did some mountain biking there. I'm from Russia in the US for school and stuff mostly, but somehow managed to get my citizenship from my parents....pre-9/11 magic.

Anything heavier than that and I'm going to be sweating like crazy or really bogged down in gear ruining the ride. That's with or without snow on the ground. If I need more than that in my book it's probably not worth going out.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad

yes, i have that one. I am looking to get a short sleeve one for this time of year with/arm warmers.

and, is that Gore Phantom roadie specific?

I would say it is sort of road specific but the colors and such won't make you look like a boob on the trail. It is almost too warm for the trail, unless it is really cold and windy.

Nimrod

The Lake shoes are cut kind of narrow for my fat feet.

I picked up the Answer Kashmirs, their cut a little wider, and their 1/2 the cost (about) of the Lakes. Wear the Kashmirs with a pair of heavy hiking sox's and your good all winter. Love, love, love these shoes, have had them 3 seasons already

Personally it bugs me to spend big money on stupid winter shoes. (Hate winter)

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
Worth it!

The Lake shoes are cut kind of narrow for my fat feet.

I picked up the Answer Kashmirs, their cut a little wider, and their 1/2 the cost (about) of the Lakes. Wear the Kashmirs with a pair of heavy hiking sox's and your good all winter. Love, love, love these shoes, have had them 3 seasons already

Personally it bugs me to spend big money on stupid winter shoes. (Hate winter)

The Lake shoes come in a WIDE version as well. In fact I have pretty much stopped carrying the regular width. For the most part you can't loose with the extra volume of the wide shoe.

I started out with the Answers as well. They are good but the lake shoes are in another league.

There is no denying that they are expensive. We all spend way more than this on other bike stuff that makes less of a difference in total comfort (warmth).

I would pay $1000 not to ever have cold feet. Just like I would pay $1000 to surf all winter.

Add the new Woolie Boolie sox with the satanic sheep and life is good!

http://www.defeet.com/product.php?id=256

jdog

Shop Keep
yes, i have that one. I am looking to get a short sleeve one for this time of year with/arm warmers.

I would say it is sort of road specific but the colors and such won't make you look like a boob on the trail. It is almost too warm for the trail, unless it is really cold and windy.

I just released a big Gore order today.

I tried a bunch of the Tool Jackets instead of the Phantom. (I have some Phantoms already)

http://www.gorebikewear.com/remote/Satellite/Products/PROD_JTOOLS?landingid=1208436857421A

The Phantom's sleeves come off but I have never taken them off.

The tool is a bit warmer and it has Pit Zips which to mee makes it a better jacket.

Ben will say that this is TOO warm a jacket but I like it.

C.Puncher Larry is always in the TOOL jacket.

j-

BiknBen

... In fact I have pretty much stopped carrying the regular width. For the most part you can't loose with the extra volume of the wide shoe.

Good call. You can always add a thicker insole, wear thicker socks, or just cinch the closures tighter if the shoe is a little big. OTOH, if the shoe is too small/tight, you are screwed.

I made that mistake once...Once!!! :mad:

BiknBen

I do need Winter Road Shoes. Suggestions please?

Do you have Winter MTB Shoes? If so, buy MTB pedals for your road bike.

The only reason to buy road specific winter shoes is if you will absolutely NEVER ride a MTB. Otherwise, a winter MTB shoe can be used for both. In many cases the shoe's upper is identical with a different sole molded to it.

This is how it went down at the Marketing Dept. meeting.
Marketing guru#1: Hey...our Winter MTB Shoe is all the rage with the MTB crowd. What if we take the shoe's upper and mold it to the sole of our road shoe. We could market this to all the winter roadies as well.
Marketing Manager: We could brainwash customers into believing that they need two pairs of shoes for winter riding. One for road and one for MTB. This could double our sales of winter shoes. Genius!!! I'm glad I thought of it.!!!

Nimrod

Do you have Winter MTB Shoes? If so, buy MTB pedals for your road bike.

The only reason to buy road specific winter shoes is if you will absolutely NEVER ride a MTB. Otherwise, a winter MTB shoe can be used for both. In many cases the shoe's upper is identical with a different sole molded to it.

This is how it went down at the Marketing Dept. meeting.
Marketing guru#1: Hey...our Winter MTB Shoe is all the rage with the MTB crowd. What if we take the shoe's upper and mold it to the sole of our road shoe. We could market this to all the winter roadies as well.
Marketing Manager: We could brainwash customers into believing that they need two pairs of shoes for winter riding. One for road and one for MTB. This could double our sales of winter shoes. Genius!!! I'm glad I thought of it.!!!

Yea I got the Kashmirs.

The reason for the question, was I'll be doing allot more Road Riding (Fast Club rides) this winter. Now I'll just put the XTR pedals on my Road bike when it gets cold. Not like its important; Its just stupid Road Biking.

:)Thanks for the Secret minutes of the Marketing Dept. meeting:)
(still laughing)

Ian F

Simply put: Layers.

And buy good stuff as if it's taken care of, it will last for years. Most of my winter gear I bought when I first started mtn biking back in the early 90's. IMO, it pays to have a lot of choices for a given weather situation.

I have an old pair of Sidi winter shoes. I've had to glue the soles back on, but otherwise, they still work and I see no reason to replace them. They were expensive when I bought them ('93?) at around $130.

I have many pairs of socks from tele-skiing. In general, if my feet are comfortable, I'm comfortable... and vice-versa... everything from there depends on how much standing around I'll be doing. I'll dress differently for a straight XC ride than I will for our annual Christmas ride through Philly, which usualyl involves a lot of stopping, standing around in the cold... and adding antifreeze...

For gloves, it varies... and I'll often stash different options in my pack. Oddly enough, I often just wear my Fox full-finger DH gloves that I normally wear the rest of the year... and keep a pair of glove liners and ski gloves in my pack.

Oddly enough, I don't think I own a single pice of Goretex... not sure why... I've lusted over it in the store... but just haven't had the need, yet... and I've ridden in some pretty cold conditions (zero F + wind at Jim Thorpe one year).

In the end, everyone handles the cold differently... so what works for one person may not work for others. And because the conditions can vary in temperatures, wetness and wind, there really isn't a "one-size fits all" solution.

jdog

Shop Keep
Simply put: Layers.

Oddly enough, I don't think I own a single pice of Goretex... not sure why... I've lusted over it in the store... but just haven't had the need, yet... and I've ridden in some pretty cold conditions (zero F + wind at Jim Thorpe one year).

Hey I,

I am glad you brought this up as most people get this wrong.

WL Gore makes 2 different types of fabric. (more really but for conversation we shall say 2)

Gore-tex is a waterproof, breathable fabric. It is NOT an insulator. It might keep you warm to a degree but it is mostly because it doesn't breath fast enough so you create a sort of greenhouse.

GORE-TEX® fabric is specifically engineered to form an impenetrable barrier against wind and water while maintaining breath-ability. As the most-tested and most-trusted windproof, waterproof, breathable fabric, GORE-TEX® Outerwear carries its own GUARANTEED TO KEEP YOU DRY® promise.

The other fabric they make is called Windstopper. Windstopper is more wind proof, mare breathable and less water-proof. For cycling in dry cold weather, Windstpper is a better choice. If rain is for certain than Goretex is a better choice.

In addition to the family of GORE-TEX® Fabrics, Gore offers WINDSTOPPER® Outerwear that keep wearers warm and comfortable with fewer layers and less bulk..

This is important as my customers always think Gore-Tex will keep you warm. It won't.

http://www.gore.com/en_xx/industries/textiles/textiles.html

jdog

Shop Keep
Pearl Izumi has a new winter shoe that is killer. Waterproof, insulated, full cover. The barrier GTX. All the good stuff and pretty reasonably priced.
http://cyclecraft.com/itemdetails.cfm?ID=49710&CatalogId=1&catalogTypeId=1&preview=1

I tried these on.. They are lighter weight than the lakes but not as warm. (or so i thought)

I decided that the lakes were a better option. They have an amazing track record and they come in a wide version whereas the pearls are sort of reg/narrow to begin with. Plus the Pearls look too Star Trek for my taste.

rlb

Hey I,
This is important as my customers always think Gore-Tex will keep you warm. It won't.

What about Gore-Tex footwear w/ proper socks (like smart wool, etc)? I'm not clipless and I don't plan to make the switch any time soon, so I'm not considering biking shoes. I'd likely stick w/ some light hiking boots on my platforms and good socks. Is Gore-Tex as good at keeping the wind out as they claim?

Wobbegong

In addition to the family of GORE-TEX® Fabrics, Gore offers WINDSTOPPER® Outerwear that keep wearers warm and comfortable with fewer layers and less bulk..

I'd say the Craft Windstopper T-shirt is one of the best things to have for cold weather cycling. Better than the long sleeve version so you can use it with arm warmers. Jdog wasnt kidding when he recommended it. Great stuff.

Wobbegong

not to direct you away from your LBS, but...

got a nashbar catalog last night and the gore phantom jacket is on sale for 99.99 (from 150.00). They also have 15% right now on trainers and electronics (includes lights).

Clothing is hard to get right through mail order. I like trying things on.

Top Bottom