Winter Gear

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Yeah, that time of year again. Like it or not it's a reality that's coming soon. I'm about at a point where I want/need to start spending a little more on quality winter stuff. So with that, what are you really impressed with, regardless of price?

* Gore jackets?

* Lake shoes, is there any other option? I'm considering boots and platforms when it gets really rough. The booties don't work when it's cooooold.

* I have skiing gloves and they're good, but don't totally do the trick on the road when it gets really cold. I'm considering fingerless skiing gloves. Anyone have other options?

* I remember there was a thread about a particular kind of pants that people like but I don't recall the brand. I know Ryan was a big fan. Wouldn't bibs make more sense than not in the winter.

* I usually go with toe warmers when it gets damn cold. They do just enough to keep my toes from hating me and falling off some days. Just picked up a 30 pack at Costco for $14.

Anything else? Post up the winter gear that you can't live without.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
* Gore jackets?

* I have skiing gloves and they're good, but don't totally do the trick on the road when it gets really cold. I'm considering fingerless skiing gloves. Anyone have other options?

* I usually go with toe warmers when it gets damn cold. They do just enough to keep my toes from hating me and falling off some days. Just picked up a 30 pack at Costco for $14.

I got a gore phantom jacket last year and it is awesome, i wore it with just a craft longsleeve pro extreme base layer and went down in the 20's no problem. The windstopper material is amazing. If you mate this with a craft Prowarm base layer, it would be even better. I am going to pick up another craft base layer this year. The stuff ain't cheap though. I think the jacket retails for $150 and the base layers between 60 and 80. The windstopper fabric is no joke, though. I did get a discounted base layer at the grand prix of cyclo at mercer last year at the craft tent.

I plan to get some gore gloves this year. I am getting one for 30's-40s' and one for 30 and below. I know Halters has a bunch on order, I tried some one last year and when the rep was in halters in the summer. very nice stuff.

i have booties from peformance that seem to do the job for the feet.

walter

Fourth Party
Lake winter boots, there is no other option.

I have a PI zip up jacket with windblocker thats a few years old. Never had a problem with it, keeps me warm. I may get a Gore jacket soon, simply because most of them are black and my PI jacket smells I think.

I have the Gore mitt/glove things. They are super bad ass.

I'm not a matchy matchy guy, so I FINALLY scored some of those Kona pants that mtbdawgjeff has been rocking. Im sure those in combo with the thermals I got at Halters last winter I should be fine.

I also wear a Nike baclava thing on my head. Its stretchy enough to cover my face but can be pulled down to go under my chin.

I think thats it.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
stb - good info, thanks! I'm definitely going to drop some coin this year. My layers right now are (literally) like $10 cheapie things from various outlets and sales over the years. I need to bring it up a notch so a Gore jacket may be in my future.

I should also throw out that this is more aimed at 20 degree road riding. On the mountain bike, it's easier to stay warm. The winter shoes we all bought a few seasons ago do the trick in the woods. But when you're out doing 20+ on the flats when it's 20 degrees, they don't.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I should also throw out that this is more aimed at 20 degree road riding. On the mountain bike, it's easier to stay warm. The winter shoes we all bought a few seasons ago do the trick in the woods. But when you're out doing 20+ on the flats when it's 20 degrees, they don't.

Yes, the gore jacket I have is almost too warm for the trail, especially if there is a fair amount of climbing. BTW, the phantom jacket has removable sleeves and you can also open the zippers for some ventilation (tip per jdog). The wrist cuffs are also nice and snug and if you put them over your gloves, you trap some heat in there. When the temps were in the 30's, my wrist would sweat. They also have the best placed rear pockets of any jersey I have.

743power

Shop: Bicycle Pro
Shop Keep
I made a thread about winter gloves last winter. I went out and bought some $45 PI winter gloves that "fit like a glove" and my fingers weren't any warmer than normal fox full fingers. Turns out everyone with warm fingers was using gloves with a roomier fit to keep a pocket of warm air around your hand and fingers.

Glancing Aft

best jacket EVER... http://www.mountainhardwear.com/Product.aspx?top=1426&prod=2284&cat=1433&viewAll=False

I've taken it everywhere from skiing to rock climbing, and use it on those cold days in the woods on the bike! Extremely light, relatively breathable, and WARM...

As for shoes I just stuff my feet with mountaineering socks in my regular mountain biking shoes. http://www.travelcountry.com/shop/smartwool/socks/smartwool-mountaineering-sock.html?RefId=102;RefType=Vendor;Iid=5372
I'm out there in 15 degree weather and snow storms and fine. LAKE shoes are for the weak ;)

Also if you have a pair of clear lens ski goggles, they can be great for night rides in snow storms...

Oh and ride SS in the winter, changing gears is just too cold.

Last edited:

BiknBen

I am not a fan of winter specific shoes. I tried the SIDI MTB shoes. They were more like a race boot and not as well insulated as the Lake shoes.

The last time I bought shoes, I went with a wider size that left room for extra layers or thicker socks. They are big enough that I have to double the insole during the summer when using my thinner socks. When temps require it. I can go with a winter sock and put booties over them. The Lake boots will cost $200+. I can buy a whole lota socks and booties for that much coin.

Winter weight shorts and leg warmers. More versatile and arguably better fitting than tights.

The other thing I recommend is spending on some good base layers. PI, Craft, Decente, etc. are all good. You will get the return on investment because these base layers can be used all year. A $200 jacket will be used for two months. Not a great ROI. I have about a dozen bike specific base layers. Long sleeve, short sleeve, tank, thick, thin, wind-proof front panel, etc.

Good score on the chemical warmers. I've used them for both hands and feet for long winter rides. Hand warmers will keep your hands toasty for $1 per ride. You can spend $60 on gloves and still have cold hands. :hmmm:

Last edited:

Cyclopath

Shop Owner / Employee
Shop Keep
I wore my regular cycling gloves with a pair of fleece gloves over them and it worked out really well last winter. They were always comfortable and never sweaty. When I got too warm, I pulled the fleece ones off and shoved them in a pocket.

I wore a good base layer with a jersey under a fall weight Sugoi Jacket for temps above 40f and just a fleecy north face type shirt under the Jacket when it was below. With shorts under tights, I was very comfortable except for my cold legs and freaking frostbitten toes.

My Bellwether booties are OUT for this year since I picked up a real nice pair of neoprene Garneau ones that I have high hopes for.

I considered a bacclava but went with a new skull cap and last years turtle fleece instead. I hope it will be many months before I get the chance to really try them all out in the cold.

Last edited:

al415

Banned
I have had winter specific boots in the past. These days I wear my widest and least ventilated MTB shoe with a gore-tex sock underneath, and a wool sock underneath the gore-tex. I have that Mtn. Hardware jacket that someone above posted and I like it a great deal. If it's brutal out I have a Rapha winter jacket that is longer in the back and has integrated half-mitts. Also, I find that wool is my best friend at this time of year, road or mountain. I wear wool jerseys, wool base-layers, wool socks... On and off the bike. On the road I'll wear a balaclava and scarf on the worst days, never really need this in the woods though.

Oh just a side-note. I found the Lakes uncomfortable when I tried them on... So it was back to the gore-tex sock solution which has been working fine.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
The lake shoes are very hard to beat.

http://www.lakecycling.com/Products/MXZ302__MXZ302.aspx

They come in a wide verson as well.

I am doing a big order next week so let me know what you want in terms of size. I will do 10% off the list shown for pre-orders.

Also for sox I really like WOOL. Castelli wool sox are super sweet:

http://www.castelli-us.com/pc-1098-9-logo-winter-sock.aspx

They also make a $59 Cashmere sock.. wtf!

Salsa makes some nice ones:

http://www.salsacycles.com/t_shirts.html

Wollie Boolies are super too!:

http://www.defeet.com/prodline.php?line=Wool&type=s

Really dig this cap:

http://www.gitabike.com/images_cart/gi_wcap_soli_blck_me.jpg

Gore Phantom is hard to beat:

http://www.gorebikewear.com/remote/Satellite/Products/PROD_KNPHAN?landingid=1208436857421A

And the Knickers are killer:
http://www.gorebikewear.com/remote/Satellite/PROD_WXENRW?landingid=1208436857757A

As much as i really like the gore stuff, much of it is really TOO warm. For bottoms I do like the Castelli stuff:

http://www.castelli-us.com/c-6-tightsbibtights.aspx

I want to try these:

http://www.walzcaps.com/

xc62701

Yeah, that time of year again. Like it or not it's a reality that's coming soon. I'm about at a point where I want/need to start spending a little more on quality winter stuff. So with that, what are you really impressed with, regardless of price?

* Gore jackets?

* Lake shoes, is there any other option? I'm considering boots and platforms when it gets really rough. The booties don't work when it's cooooold.

* I remember there was a thread about a particular kind of pants that people like but I don't recall the brand. I know Ryan was a big fan. Wouldn't bibs make more sense than not in the winter.

I just wear a couple of layers under my wind jacket and I'm fine to most temps. If it gets really nasty out I have a gortex shell that I'll wear which I'll sweat myself out of.

Lake shoes are sweet but waaaay too much $$$ for me. I have 3 layer choices - booties, booties with toe covers, and booties with covers and chemical warmers. Does fine for any days.

The Pearl Izumi Amfib Lobster gloves are key. They only come out on the coldest of days cause you'll sweat big time in em. Most days I go with a thin glove with a windstop layer over top.

The Pearl Izumi Amfib tights rock. I usually wear my bib's underneath them and rock the tights and I'm set. They have a windstop layer and are super comfy.

Get some thin tight fitting hat to wear over your ears and under your helmet to stay even warmer. I've got a thin Pedros one that works great.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
I rode a Pearl Izumi Gavia jacket all last winter. I think it's one of the most versatile tops out. It was warm enough through the worst stuff yet it's very light and feels like a long-sleeve jersey. My road loop has a lot of climbs so you sweat like nuts going up and freeze on the way down, this jacket is the only thing I found can breathe extremely well while climbing and be super cozy on the 40+ mph descent on the other side.

On the other side of that, I've not yet converted to wearing winter specific shoes, like Ben. I wear my normal shoes with booties and Trek Oslo Extreme socks. I will go on record to say they are THE best winter sock you can buy.

-Jim.

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
Oh boy, I am not looking forward to winter, but FWIW here's my take:

Wool socks and wool long undershirts are great because wool is THE BEST insulator when wet, and my feet and chest always sweat at some point. On the road I wear wool socks under a roomy stiff atb shoes with a wind cover on top down to 23 degrees. No need for fancy shoes on road because covers stay put. However if you ride techy trails with snow and mud, the covers can be a nuisance IMO. If this is how you spend most your winter, winter ATB shoes may be worth the investment.

As Ben said layering is key so you can adjust as the pace and temps change. I use base layers, arm and knee warmers a lot. For me it is fine line between warmth, venting, staying dry, keeping one's self entertained as not to notice the cold and persevering.

If I had to chose between Lake shoes and a trip to Arizona, I would take the trip.;)

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
-Lake Boots
-Pearl Izumi Jacket
-2 or 3 layers
-Gore Gloves
-cap

so far the legs haven't been an issue, I use Pearl Izumi long spandex and they work fine

my coldest spots are of course toes & fingers, so sometimes I throw in Toe Warmers & Hand Warmers

M

mbike666

Word up to wool and layers. Very cold weather I wear a base tank, arm warmers, a full zip short sleeve jersey, and a old pearl therma fleece longsleeve w/pockets in back. Also, pearl long tights under a normal bib. Wool socks and pearl booties over shoes, assos prosline burgler looking thing and I have a pair of nice pearl winter gloves. So, besides sounding like a pearl izumi salesman, the layers work because you can always shed if need be, i.e. arm warmers and hat thing. And, I like full zip cause you can unzip to adjust temp if nessesary. As for the shoe thing, I think booties and wool socks work for me and I really like my specialized shoes so I don't f with what works. Oh, and don't stop riding!

BiknBen

I don't like jackets. They are often too warm, flap in the wind, are not versatile enough, and cost a fortune. If you are riding vigorously, you can really keep yourself heated.

Here is a tip:
Dress to be cold for the first 15 minutes. Once you begin riding, you will warm up into the layers you are wearing. If you feel toasty as you begin...you will be wet (from sweat) and uncomfortable later.

I'm a huge fan of the layers and accessory pieces because they allow you to make micro-adjustments to your clothing as you warm up, cool down, or as air temperatures vary. I'll wear arm warmers over a long sleeve base layer. I match that with a vest instead of a jacket. It provides two layers but I can alter the sleeves and zip-unzip the vest to micro-manage my body temp.

Someone else will spent $250 for a jacket with zippered sleeves or side vents. Then they have to stop to adjust everything. With my setup, I can slide the warmers down and unzip the vest as I begin a climb, then close everything back up as I crest the hill and start going down. No stopping required.

Wobbegong

Some of my winter goodies:

Shimano Gortex winter shoes: Fantastic, no problems at all and completely water proof. Feet stay warm and dry as a bone. I wear these with wool socks.

Craft Windstopper base layer t-shirt: The best thing ever for the cold weather. I usually wear this as the bottom base layer, with a long sleeve wool/polyester layer over it, then my lightweight wind shell jacket. With this I'm good into the teens.

Craft Gore windstop thermal pants: I wear these when its below 35 or so degrees. Amazingly warm, but too warm for me if its above 35 degrees.

When its a bit warmer, in relative winter terms, I wear a pair of tights with windstop fronts and lycra backs, no thermal lining.

For gloves, I use Pearl Izumi winter gloves. When really cold, I also use a light cotton work glove liner under them. Works really well to keep the hands warmer. Hand warmers always stay in the truck for super cold days. There is nothing better when its really cold out.

Thats my 2 pennies.....

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Lots of good stuff here, good feedback.

I checked out my gloves this morning and this is the model:
Black Diamond Patrol

I rate them a solid good. They're usually not the weak point in the wardrobe when it gets chilly. I also have an EMS jacket my in-laws bought me a few years ago. It's a good jacket but it's not cycling specific.

I'm one of these guys who sweats a lot, so I need to toe the line between trying to be warm but not too warm. If I start to sweat I can really turn a cold ride miserable in no time. I tried the plastic bag trick as foot warmers again last year and my feet have never been colder because they were soaked in no time.

Top Bottom