Winter Gear

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
We were out yesterday so I stopped by EMS to see what non-bike specific stuff I could find. I picked up some mitten-like glove covers. Started the day at 28 degrees. Not terrible but usually my hands would start to feel it after 10-15 minutes. Here's what they look like:

3094998733_15956638f2.jpg

By the time I was done, it was 33 degrees. My hands started to get a hair cold at the end. When I took off the cover I could see my hand had just started to sweat which explains the slight chill that had started. The little dot on the glove is the beginning of it:

3095840802_9938aa5df7.jpg

I didn't have liners on today so this is a pretty warm solution. I think anything above 30 and it's going to be too warm. I now (kinda) look forward to a solid 20 degree day so I can try these out. They're remarkably nimble. I have no problem shifting with these, either up or down. Grabbing a bottle and braking are also not a problem. Today's ride was all in the flats so it was a constant wind on them, and I didn't get cold.

I'm also coming to the conclusion that golves are a very, very precise element in the whole picture. It seems really easy to over/under cover your hands. Both cases are less than desireable. I suspect that I'll always have a set of liners and maybe another set of gloves in my jersey pockets for various temps as I fine tune this setup.

I'll get the wife to snap a pic with gloves, covers, and ghetto covers next time I'm out.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I used a pair of snowboard mitts as a cover last year when it was in the teens. I do loose some dexterity but for the road they work. I have been meaning to break them out but have not had the need yet.

ArmyOfNone

Can you post a link of those from the EMS site? There are to many.

Second Is that glove a shell which you are using to protect you from the elements.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Can you post a link of those from the EMS site? There are to many.

Second Is that glove a shell which you are using to protect you from the elements.

Here is a link.

Description:

The EMS Shell Mitts are flexible waterproof/breathable mittens without insulation. Ideal for any snow sport or situation when a higher level of waterproofness and dexterity is needed. Or customize it with any type or weight of liner glove.

Does that answer your question?

Under the shell I use these:

Black Diamond Patrol

And if needed, these are the liners I use:

Giordana liners

I think that combo may need some tweaking though. I'd prefer a better liner and a hair less bulky middle glove, though this setup is perfectly fine. There's always the attempt to make it just a little better.

The Black Diamond glove suffers most on the back side of the hand. That little gray strip isn't good enough for the wind blowing over it, and that spot on your hand gets cold. I've considered slapping a piece of leather on it. These are ski gloves, so not necessarily meant to deal with that wind over the outside of the hand, and that starts to add up.

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
I think that combo may need some tweaking though. I'd prefer a better liner and a hair less bulky middle glove, though this setup is perfectly fine. There's always the attempt to make it just a little better.

have you tried metallic thread based glove liners to try to cut down on bulk? they work awesome. i don't know how they would work on a road bike, but i use these liners with normal full finger bike gloves when i ride trails in the winter and i have had no issues. on real cold days i will wear a fingerless windproof fleece glove/mitten combo for extra protection. i just fold back the mitten part of the glove against the back of my hand - and if i start getting cold, i just lose a bit of dexterity and fold over the mitten part. the glove/mitten combo also allows for cooling if you start sweating.

example liners:
http://www.prospectoroutfitters.com/istar.asp?a=6&id=1-2097!KOMBI

glove/mitten combo:
http://calsport.com/glacier-glove-659-glovemitten-co659.html

these aren't the exact things i use, but they were the first thing i google'd.

Cyclopath

Shop Owner / Employee
Shop Keep
have you tried metallic thread based glove liners to try to cut down on bulk? they work awesome. i don't know how they would work on a road bike, but i use these liners with normal full finger bike gloves when i ride trails in the winter and i have had no issues. on real cold days i will wear a fingerless windproof fleece glove/mitten combo for extra protection. i just fold back the mitten part of the glove against the back of my hand - and if i start getting cold, i just lose a bit of dexterity and fold over the mitten part. the glove/mitten combo also allows for cooling if you start sweating.

For the road? One of my riding buddies swears by these liners. He'll wear them over his regular cycling gloves and with or without an outer glove, depending on the weather. They are really quite styling in a 'Michael Jackson' sort of way.

They do get noticed too. Why in fact, just last week while we were riding, a guy coming towards us in a green pick-up truck honked and gave us the finger. We couldn't tell if he hated the gloves or if he was propositioning Gary. :rofl:

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Tried the glove covers in the rain, 37 degrees today. Did a damn good job. Pleasantly surprised.

ellenserruto

I bought the deluxe lake winter mtb shoe/boot this year @ $285(YIKES) and I'm completely satisfied. I'll never buy booties or toe warmers again. They are so comfy and surprisingly lightweight.
Last year I bought "flow" ski gloves @ Bills Army / Navy The gloves are filled with gel & designed to be used with instant hand warmers. The gel distributes the heat from the hand warmer all over your hands & fingers. Say goodbye to frozen fingers! I hear Campmor also carries them. The price is $60 Best idea ever!

ArmyOfNone

I bought the deluxe lake winter mtb shoe/boot this year @ $285(YIKES) and I'm completely satisfied. I'll never buy booties or toe warmers again. They are so comfy and surprisingly lightweight.
Last year I bought "flow" ski gloves @ Bills Army / Navy The gloves are filled with gel & designed to be used with instant hand warmers. The gel distributes the heat from the hand warmer all over your hands & fingers. Say goodbye to frozen fingers! I hear Campmor also carries them. The price is $60 Best idea ever!

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___88441

Campmor link. These look interesting and fairly inexpensive. I may have to give these a shot.

de00304

My winter setup

Hands - I wear loose fitting windstopper fleece gloves. Have to be loose fitting to ensure good circulation. I also don't like any insulation in them, as I like to be able to easily pull my fingers together and make a fist inside the glove when they begin to get cold (I find that with the combination of insulation and sweat that becomes a very difficult maneuver as my fingers start sticking to the glove and pulling the glove fingers inside out).

I also keep a pair of old waterproof/breathable shell overmits in my backpack, and when it gets really cold I throw them on over the fleece gloves, and usually in about 5 minutes my hands are fine. I have been doing that for years, and find that combo is good down to zero or so without issue. Dexterity is compromised a bit, but the overmits are oversized so it isn't really a problem.

Feet - an old pair (5 years old maybe) of Lake winter shoes work great for me. Unfortunately I have worn these out, and had them stitched up at a cobler last year. They are really due for replacement now. However, the newer Lake's I've tried are too narrow for me, and I don't really dig the boa closure system (mine have laces and velcro, and I find that like my hands I want to keep things loose to ensure good circulation). I know they come in wide so maybe that is the trick...

Legs, chest, face, etc - like others, I have found the key is layers and blocking the wind with a good shell with pit zips...

mtnbiker5

Gore Glove

Was wondering if any has either the Gore Tool glove or Countdown glove and are they warm? I've got a bunch of good ski gloves, Black Diamond my fav. but really dont feel like wearing them in Allamuchy or anywhere else. The Gore products seem quality, the Countdown looks the warmest. Thanks.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Myself and a few others have the Gore Radiator Glove and it is the best winter glove I have had to date. The bulk to warmth ratio is excellent. I have ridden these on the road in 17 degree temps and they are good for at least an hour, which means off road you can go much, much longer. I rode these with the gore liners and my hands were sweating in the low 20's. By far the least bulky, warm gloves I have had to date.

mtnbiker5

Tx

Ok thanks I'll check em out. Seems like Gore products are the way to go here regardless. I've got drawers filled with Pearl Izumi and everything else EXCEPT Gore products. Other than my favorite Swobo wool shirt I've been freezing my ass off and I'm just sick of it. Time to bring out the big guns.

Panhead

I wear military polyproplyne, picked up a top and bottom set with a baclava for $19 and a pair of polypro socks for another $9 at Major Military Surplus online. In the woods down to 15* they are almost to warm. I forget what gloves I use but my fingers usually start to freeze around 40*, thanks to 200+ stitches and these keep em toasty.

mtnbiker5

cccccold

Got the Gore Tool jacket, essential piece now. Gore Vista Windstopper tights, more essential, and the Gore Countdown glove, perfect. You guys were right on the money with Gore. Went for a quick ride into Lewis Morris, 25 degrees out. Other than my lungs shutting down from being so cold the rest of my body was warm. Patagonia Wool R2 shirt and gaitor helped alot.

xc62701

Here's all I wear for temps down to the upper teens:

Sleeveless base layer
Long sleeve thermal jersey
Wind Jacket
Bib shorts
Knee Warmers
Thick Tights
Booties
Lobster Gloves
Pedro's thin winter hat

I don't need much else. Find out whatever works for you but I'm not gonna go crazy spending $$$ to keep warm. Just layer up and find out what works for you.

mtnbiker5

Tool

The Gore Tool glove is super nice. The Countdown I found to be a bit warmer overall but the Tool is the perfect glove for that chilly late fall, early spring ride. I wouldnt take the Tool glove out if temps were below 35-40, you'll freeze. The Tool breathes better. Tool jacket is beautiful and the Gore Vista Windstopper tights are second to none. You guys have been great, thanks.

Top Bottom