Winter Gear

I'd say the Craft Windstopper T-shirt is one of the best things to have for cold weather cycling. Better than the long sleeve version so you can use it with arm warmers. Jdog wasnt kidding when he recommended it. Great stuff.
Yeah, this is an amazing piece of gear. I finally sprung for one last year and expect to get loads of good use out of it this fall & winter.

I agree that the short sleeve is the way to go. When it's really arctic, I've worn mine over a long sleeve base layer. Excellent.

Yeah, this is an amazing piece of gear. I finally sprung for one last year and expect to get loads of good use out of it this fall & winter.

I agree that the short sleeve is the way to go. When it's really arctic, I've worn mine over a long sleeve base layer. Excellent.

The craft baselayer is super but the price jumped up to $100 this season.

I grabbed a bunch of Castelli's version. They are 1/2 the price but nearly the same feel. The craft is better for the super cold days but most of the time the Castelli will tackle the job.

http://www.castelli-us.com/pm-956-5-sg06-wind-shirt-short-sleeve.aspx
A8055.jpg

I've never seen fluid freeze inside the bladder. Keeping the tube to the mouthpiece from freezing is a bigger challenge.

My secret? Add salt. It keeps the oceans from freezing right?

I'm not sure I'd want to add that much salt to my water... :confused:

Hmm... I have had a pack freeze. But 0 degrees F + wind chill will do that... Usually fixed by wearing the pack under my jacket, but this "jersey pack" may be mroe comfortable.

Moose Mits!!

Got my Moose Mitts!! About a 3-ish week lead time on these...so I figured get 'em sooner rather than later.

I never liked winter gloves when riding...I hear these work *really* well.

Now, I gotta' decide what to do about my feet :D

Attachments

• mm.jpg
    mm.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 125
i got a set of northwave winter boots from wiggle.co.uk
they fit great and so far seem very warm even with my regular sneaker socks. as it gets colder i'll get some wool socks and hopefully my toes won't fall off this year.
i know everyone says get the lakes, but man i just couldn't justify that expense. the northwave's were $130
now i have to find somewhere to buy like 6 pairs of decent sporty warm wool socks

Got my Moose Mitts!! About a 3-ish week lead time on these...so I figured get 'em sooner rather than later.

I never liked winter gloves when riding...I hear these work *really* well.

Now, I gotta' decide what to do about my feet :D

I am picturing an OTB or a lean over and not being able to let go over the bars....maybe you can get the same thing for the pedals and you would just do a full flip with the bike...:hmmm:

I am picturing an OTB or a lean over and not being able to let go over the bars....maybe you can get the same thing for the pedals and you would just do a full flip with the bike...:hmmm:

Heh, heh...trust me, you let go of the bars, your hands will come out of these.

Added the Castelli Logo Winter sock to my arsenal this weekend. I like them! Review here.

I have an article from my cycling coach. I found this to be VERY useful.

It’s that time of year again. The days get shorter, so evening training rides get diminished to nothing. If you try to train in the morning, there’s not much more daylight and you have to ride in winter temperatures! This article goes into detail about what to wear so you can ride in arctic temperatures without losing digits in the process. Since really all you want to do is ride outside, the first thing I’ll go over is what to wear when the temperature gets close to, or below, 32 degrees (aka 0 degrees Celsius for our international teammates). One of the important things to keep in mind is circulation. For instance, stuffing two thick pairs of socks into your shoes, when you usually only wear one thin pair during the summer restricts the blood flow and helps cause your feet to become numb. Shoe covers have obvious benefits. However, when it gets down below freezing, your better bet is to purchase a winter pair of riding shoes. These shoes don’t have to be fancy (ie expensive) carbon soled beauties. An entry level pair will do fine. If possible, double up on socks and then add the shoe covers for more warmth and to keep your feet dry in the slush, and voila, no more cold feet. As for socks, anything but cotton is okay. Poly or a poly/wool blend sock works well. A waterproof sock works well when it’s slushy or when you are mountain biking. Another good trick if you only have one pair of shoes is to remove the insoles from the shoes and get another pair. Cut the toe portion off of the second pair, so your toes can move freely and keep circulation going. Tights are a no-brainer. The colder it gets, the thicker you want them. When it gets

really cold, 2 pair are often necessary. Never wear long johns, they don’t stretch, and restrict your range of motion. I like tights with a chamois, but then I wear another pair of shorts over them to keep the kids warm. Just remember that with all that padding you may want to lower your saddle a hair, as all these clothes affect your saddle height compared to the summer.

On your head a thin headband that goes over your ears works well in chilly temperatures.

When it gets really cold, a polypropylene balaclava is a must. I’ll often wear a cycling cap under my helmet as well, adding a little more warmth. Just don’t cut off the circulation to your brain. That’s a bad thing. On your body, invest in a good winter cycling jacket. They will provide the majority of your body’s warmth. Underneath, please only wear synthetic fibers, especially next to the skin. You’ll be glad you did. Remember, no cotton anywhere on your upper body! For gloves, there are a lot of good cycling specific gloves out there. However, I don’t find them to be all that warm, and they can be a little tight, again cutting off circulation to your fingertips. Also, because of shifting and braking, I don’t particularly like the lobster gloves. What I found works is to go to a discount clothing store like Marshals or a sporting goods store and pick up a pair of fleece ski gloves. I usually get a few different thicknesses for different temperatures. I also wear glove liners, either with thinner gloves, or when it gets really cold. Get gloves that fit fairly loosely, enabling the blood to flow. The price is usually right too, often for about $5.00 to $15.00 a pair, as opposed to cycling specific gloves that run $50.00 or more. Usually, your winter training rides leave in the mornings, and it heats up as the ride progresses. Plan for this. Start out with a balaclava, and keep ear warmers in your pocket. Or if it is 35 degrees when the ride starts and warms up to 50 degrees, wear a medium weight pair of gloves with glove liners. Then as it gets warmer just shed the liners. Up top you can do the old Euro trick by stuffing newspaper in the front of your jacket as insulation. As it warms up, you can throw the newspaper in the garbage while you are riding. Also, always bring some Chapstic or Blistex in your pocket. Winter wind can make your lips very unhappy. Eat well, ride hard, live long….and stay warm!

From: http://www.teamcolavita.com/NJ-Junior/Winter_Training-Clothing.pdf

I've been meaning to revamp this thread for a while but the Clif bar experiment took over my inane ramblings. Anyway, I attempted to fashion my own set of glove covers today. The left hand was good but the right one needed more dexterity to shift and get food out of my pocket. Here is what it looked like:

3093540917_3540544a2a.jpg

It's an old Gap raincoat which I cut the sleeves off and duct taped at the end. It worked remarkably well.

In fact, too well:

3093540991_1320b2f5e5.jpg

That's sweat, which is bad. Towards the end the left hand, even with the sweat, was warmer than the right. But it was getting colder fast as the ride was ending. Another 30 minutes and it could have been not so good.

i'm just sayin' that i would have used the dr. suess bib. just sayin'.

it was brutal yesterday afternoon, the temp was 26* when i got home at 3:00 and the wind was howling. i wore:

a pearl izumi ninja-esque mask, oft referred to as a baklava
a short sleeve, a long sleeve, a wind jacket and a LS jersey over said jacket (the retro-raleigh has no bottle holders so i need the pockets)
cycling shorts with winter tights over 'em
one pair of socks
the not-so-much-an-answer to winter shoes
outdoor research gloves.

didn't get cold until the end and even then, i wasn't 'i'm going to die' cold. i think what i had on yesterday will get me though the winter. less the winter shoes, of course, but there is a really, really good chance they are getting duct taped and sprayed with rubberized coating.

They are spendy, but will outlast my bike...

Yesterday, being in the 20's n' all, I finally broke out the gore-tex. I have a set of EMS brand XCR bibs designed as multi-sport winter pant. There is heavy reinforced ballistic nylon on inside of each ankle (making chain rub a non-issue) extra room in the knees and full length zips on the outside of each leg. The upper bib is made of a soft breathable material with a nifty zippered pocket. I was in Allaire for a couple of hours last night, the mud was frozen. I forgot I had them on, but my legs never got hot or cold. Underneath I wore a generic set of bib-knickers and wool socks. Leaving a gap or a few inches between the top of my socks and the bottom of the knickers. For anyone not familiar with XCR it is the carbon fiber of the gore-tex world (at least it was when I bought these) It is lighter and more breathable than standard gore-tex. Anyway, these things are the dogs bollox and when i win the lottery everyone shall have a pair.

My other winter experiment is to run flat pedals instead of clipless. This allows me to wear my warmest hiking boots or my lightest sneakers, depending on conditions. After a short period of re-learning some basics, Holy Crap it's 1988 again!, I have become used to them. While the advantages of clipless pedals are obvious and well documented, I think I had forgotten the simple fact that flats have their own set of advantages. The most important for the sake of this thread is that my feet have been warm and dry on every ride this cold season.

that's utter nonsense. the whole point of pogies, or moose mitts, is that they have alot of room in them, which allows your blood to circulate, and your to have access to all the controls you need. i've never heard of someone's hands getting stuck in pogies. i made my first(real) pair last winter out of an old waterproof tote bag cut in half with an old work jacket liner sewn in. these things enable you to comfortably wear summer riding gloves down into negative temps. that means you will have a hell of alot more control of your bike that you would with thick winter gloves. alaskans swear by them. alaskans know everything there is to know about riding in cold weather. and i'm not including myself in that statement... but, we've been cross country skiing and running studded tires since mid september this year, and the snow that fell in early october is still on the ground, covered by all the snow that's fallen since and will likely be there till mid-late may.

if anyone is worried about what pogies look like on their bike, they need to look at all the other goofy looking crap we as cyclists wear. padded spandex? funny looking helmets? colorful, tight jerseys?

pogies rule. the end. tims fingers are only gonna get cold when he takes his hand out of his pogie to point and laugh at everyone with cold, numb fingers.

:getsome:

hi sean! thanks for and hopefully we'll see you around christmas!

oh- he's right btw. on the pogies. it's not like you're clipped into them.

That was always my concern too Kev. I could care less how they look. I wear enough funny things when Im NOT riding the bike to be concerned what I am wearing on the bike. I just hope they are not a death trap.

you're more likely to fall with ski gloves or anything else that will keep you kinda warm below 20* due to having less feel of the bar and subsequently less control. winter riding doesn't have to be a compromise.

I've been meaning to revamp this thread for a while but the Clif bar experiment took over my inane ramblings. Anyway, I attempted to fashion my own set of glove covers today. The left hand was good but the right one needed more dexterity to shift and get food out of my pocket. Here is what it looked like:

3093540917_3540544a2a.jpg

It's an old Gap raincoat which I cut the sleeves off and duct taped at the end. It worked remarkably well.

In fact, too well:

3093540991_1320b2f5e5.jpg

That's sweat, which is bad. Towards the end the left hand, even with the sweat, was warmer than the right. But it was getting colder fast as the ride was ending. Another 30 minutes and it could have been not so good.

i agree, pic of it on the bike norm. maybe consider adding an insulation layer to it as well. doesn't have to be thick, just not cotton.

Back
Top Bottom