Winter gear must haves?

Dajerseyrat

I never mountain biked through the winter before but would like to do it this year. Im looking for suggestions on how to dress and what I need? I have seen some cycleing jackets that look like regular fleece jackets but cost $200...:oops: I definitely dont have a proper kit, in fact the other day I went riding and looked more like I was going to burglarize homes. Please help on some must have items..
I do so far have a nice winter pant from Cannondale.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
I think you have first know how you handle the cold.
I am a total wuss and I have issues with keeping my hands and feet warm... others not so much.
No matter how thick the socks and shoes are, I still need toe warmers where as others might be fine with thick socks and regular shoes.

How are you dealing with the temps now?
But I think wind breakers are must and a starting point.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Normal cold weather - like down to 15F

if you ride flat pedals, your winter boots will work. Otherwise winter shoes are a must.
i rode my regular ones for a couple years with reflective insoles, and heated socks, and 100 other things, and it was simply
fixed by purchasing winter shoes (i got the lakes)

long leg bibs (i have knicker bibs for the fall) and an outer layer ( http://a.co/d/h7L78Cu)

for your core: tech base layer, soft middle layer, outer wind layer

beanie for over your ears, or balaclava. can do much temp control through your neck.

your water supply can freeze - wear your hydration pack inside the outer layer, blow the water back into the pack (out of the hose)

gloves - i wear surgical gloves as a base, to keep the sweat from soaking the gloves. I have a few different pairs. lobster, and sleestack (sp?), snowboard.

-

when it is really cold, just put on the snowboard clothes. helmet and everything.

Dajerseyrat

Ok let me rephrase myself..What would I require that does not cost $1000 for a pair of gloves, jacket and socks...:oops: Lets look at brands like under armor or something more in line with a more economic price point, as Im not racing in the French Alps..

Dajerseyrat

How are you dealing with the temps now?
But I think wind breakers are must and a starting point.

Sunday I went riding and wore regular socks and my toes got cold. But I was wearing crappy Canvas Vans. Today I went and wore wool socks and same shoes and my feet were fine. Today I rode with the Cannondale bike pants, shorts over them, an under armor long sleeve shirt and a short sleeved T shirt and I was fine.

roc

Keeping the toes warm is a must. They sell neoprene booties that work great.
Or like @fidodie said, winter shoes. I have lakes and my feet have never been cold in them. They are pricey, but you get what you pay for and I've had them forever.
Amy decent winter glove is fine. Anything that you can ski/snowboard in would work. If you're trying to keep the budget low, you don't need cycling gloves.
You also need some sort of windbreaker for your legs.

Dajerseyrat

Normal cold weather - like down to 15F

if you ride flat pedals, your winter boots will work. Otherwise winter shoes are a must.
i rode my regular ones for a couple years with reflective insoles, and heated socks, and 100 other things, and it was simply
fixed by purchasing winter shoes (i got the lakes)

long leg bibs (i have knicker bibs for the fall) and an outer layer ( http://a.co/d/h7L78Cu)

for your core: tech base layer, soft middle layer, outer wind layer

beanie for over your ears, or balaclava. can do much temp control through your neck.

your water supply can freeze - wear your hydration pack inside the outer layer, blow the water back into the pack (out of the hose)

gloves - i wear surgical gloves as a base, to keep the sweat from soaking the gloves. I have a few different pairs. lobster, and sleestack (sp?), snowboard.

-

when it is really cold, just put on the snowboard clothes. helmet and everything.
is the size chart on those pants off a bit?? It says an XL is a 28 waist??? WTF?

Matt_

I Get Jokes
Stop wearing a jacket to walk to the car in the morning. Acclimate. Embrace that theres a difference between "feeling" cold air, and actually "being cold" (core temp drops).

Honestly good gloves, boots, and [maybe] hat to keep the core parts warm, add a basic base layer and test the waters. Start thin and add as necessary. Nothing is worse than being over dressed, sweating your ass off, then freezing in your own sweat....IMO

Dajerseyrat

Keeping the toes warm is a must. They sell neoprene booties that work great.
Or like @fidodie said, winter shoes. I have lakes and my feet have never been cold in them. They are pricey, but you get what you pay for and I've had them forever.
Amy decent winter glove is fine. Anything that you can ski/snowboard in would work. If you're trying to keep the budget low, you don't need cycling gloves.
Can I really ride in big clunky boots?? Well I suppose those Catalyst pedals I have would fit a snow shoe..lol

Ryan.P

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I drink this all winter works like a charm
t22758418i_1.jpg

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
Sunday I went riding and wore regular socks and my toes got cold. But I was wearing crappy Canvas Vans. Today I went and wore wool socks and same shoes and my feet were fine. Today I rode with the Cannondale bike pants, shorts over them, an under armor long sleeve shirt and a short sleeved T shirt and I was fine.
I think you and I might have similar threshold for the cold.
Sunday, I was wearing wind breaker pants, slightly thicker socks with regular shoes. Wind breaker jacket, a long sleeve base layer and a jersey and I did ok. Bit cold in the beginning but once warmed up, no issues

I am pretty cheap and try to get away with winter running wear when I can. Old Navy has decent base layers and are cheap.
What really kills you is your own sweat so anything that wicks as a base layer.
When it gets really cold, in the teens, boots, wool socks and toe warmers. thermal lined pants, long sleeve base top, fleece and wind breaker jacket with helmet liner. I carry 2 pairs of gloves to change up as I warm up. Also love my bar mitts but some hate them.
When its stupid cold, I stay home :p

Last edited:

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
Start with simple things first. You need to be able to adjust ventilation on the fly. Gore make the best jackets IMO specifically the one with zippers under the arms (pit zips). This allows you to reduce the heat as your body heats up. Otherwise you get sweaty and if you have to stop for more and a min or two you’re screwed. Wind is worse than the cold itself so if you don’t go the gore jacket route, a fleece with a windbreaker does a more than adequate job. Your shoes and gloves can’t be tight or you’ll never get the proper circulation and you will be cold, so size up so you can add a thicker wool sock. No cotton during winter EVER! Winter running tights do a fair job on the lower half if you don’t want to go the whole winter bib route.
A buff is a super versatile thing to have. Bar mits are a nice to have.... you can ride in just wool glove liners with bar mits. Keep the top of your head and ears covered and you’ll be ahead of the game. One last thing, if you are comfortable as you start the ride, you’re overdressed.

rick81721

Lothar
I never mountain biked through the winter before but would like to do it this year. Im looking for suggestions on how to dress and what I need? I have seen some cycleing jackets that look like regular fleece jackets but cost $200...:oops: I definitely dont have a proper kit, in fact the other day I went riding and looked more like I was going to burglarize homes. Please help on some must have items..
I do so far have a nice winter pant from Cannondale.

Best purchase I made was a pair of Gore bike wear insulated bibs, got them on sale a few years ago at Halters. With them as a base you can ride in pretty much any cold weather in nj.

Top Bottom